Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Friday, December 14, 2007

A Christmas Song Story

Oh, sheesh! Is it Friday ALREADY? Honest, I totally spaced the day of the week. It's the second time that's happened in two days. I took the trash cans to the street on Wednesday afternoon so I'd be sure not to miss the pick-up early Thursday morning. When I came home late Wednesday night I dragged the same barrels back to their place behind the house. I thought it was Thursday night. (It had been a very looooong RS activity, I guess.) I noticed they seemed kinda heavy, but I attributed it to my utter exhaustion. About eight hours later when the garbage truck went by I thought . . . well, never mind what I thought. I don't want us banned in high schools across the nation.

ANYWAY, I knew I was totally stressed out, so I arranged for a guest blog early in the week. Too bad I didn't post it when there were more than five hours left in Friday. (Sorry, sorry.) Believe me, it was well worth waiting for! Thank you, Tammy!

A Christmas Song Story

by Tammy Daybell

On the Six Writers and a Frog Blog lately they've been posting about Christmas and Christmas songs, and whether you are a "Who" or a "Grinch."I am definitely a "Who." I do make myself wait until after Thanksgiving dinner, but Thanksgiving night we put up our Christmas tree. I also start listening to Christmas music that day, and listen to it pretty much non-stop until Christmas Day. (Then I put it away until nextThanksgiving.)

I have a really eclectic Christmas music collection, and my kids have learned a lot of Christmas songs because I play it so much. This came in handy for my daughter a couple of years ago.It was the day before Christmas Break, and in her last period the teacher was playing a game with the class. He would ask a question from a Christmas song, and if you got it right you were rewarded with a new pencil. It was the last question of the day, and the teacher asked, "In the song 'Home for the Holidays,' where is the man from Tennessee going, and what is he going for?"

My daughter looked around, and no one else was answering, so she tentatively raised her hand and said "To Pennsylvania for some homemade pumpkin pie."

Her teacher was stunned. He said that in all the years he had played the game with his classes, no one had ever gotten the question right. For her reward, my daughter was the proud recipient of 10 new pencils. Which just goes to show, you never know when random Christmas song trivia will come in handy.

Tammy Daybell owns and operates Spring Creek Books with her husband, author Chad Daybell. This post was borrowed from a post she made on LDS-Fiction-Readers and is used with permission.


6 Comments:

At 12/15/2007 12:36 AM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

On the flip side of the coin, you really can't imagine all the Young Adults who simply couldn't believe that at 18, on my first caroling trip, I didn't know the words to almost any Christmas songs.

Guess what (more or less) Christian religion I grew up in?

=S

 
At 12/15/2007 9:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've had Christmas music playing right through December and a bit before. Together with the snow, it makes for warm fuzzies, so why not enjoy?

 
At 12/15/2007 10:05 AM, Blogger Josi said...

My kids can do this with Queen lyrics, does that count?

Very cute, Tammy, I tend to bounce between Grinch and Who every year or so. I'm in a who-mode right now though, pass the roast beast.

 
At 12/15/2007 10:43 AM, Blogger Cheri J. Crane said...

I'm definitely a "Who." Like Tammy, I dive in immediately following Thanksgiving . . . just ask my family. =) And I love Christmas carols. I play them in the house, I play them in the car, I play them on the piano, and when we drive way far . . .

Kerry, no worries. I think we've all done things like that, especially this time of year. ;)That reminds me . . . did I put out my garbage this week?

 
At 12/15/2007 11:01 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Oh wow, I hate that feeling of hearing the garbage truck approaching and realizing your cans aren't out!

I love Christmas music and usually start listening to it after Thanksgiving.

Cute story, Tammy! Good for your daughter!

 
At 12/15/2007 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your story, Tammy, here and on the LDS-Fiction-Readers list both.
And Kerry, my husband sympathyzes with you completely. He not only has to remember the garbage can day, but the recycle can too. Mistakes happen. Tis the season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home