Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Do You Love the Snow?

by Julie Coulter Bellon

The Christmas season finally felt like it was here when it began to snow last Saturday. It started out with big puffy flakes floating down from the overcast sky, touching the trees and earth with their cold beauty. I was watching from my window as it accumulated, thinking how beautiful the white snow looked blanketing my yard. My children were out in the front, building a snowman and playing in the new snow. Their laughter was easy to hear.

As the day wore on, I got ready to go to a Library Literacy event and saw that cars were slipping and sliding near my house. We live at the top of a hill which is sometimes more like a toboggan run in the winter and so I was a little nervous driving to my book signing. My husband and two of my children decided to drive with me and I was grateful when my husband took the wheel. We started down the hill and the car’s tires immediately lost traction and we slipped sideways. Luckily my husband was able to right the car and we continued on our way.

Cars were going fairly slowly on the roads and we did the same. As we neared the library, I breathed a sigh of relief. I was never a fan of driving in a snowstorm. We stopped at a four way stop and I was talking to my husband about our plans after the event, when suddenly we were hit from behind and propelled across the intersection. Thankfully, no one was coming and we were able to pull safely to the side of the road. After a quick check on the children, I called the police while my husband got out to talk to the man that had hit us. His smaller car looked totaled and my neck was hurting, but our car seemed to have less damage than his and was still driveable.

I was glad I hadn’t been driving alone.

After speaking to the police and filling out the necessary paperwork, we headed to the booksigning. When I got there, I was half an hour late, but managed to get my display set up, although it was hard because my hands were shaking. Another author who was there, Julie Wright, came over and just hugged me tight and frankly, I almost cried. It wasn’t that bad of an accident, but I hadn’t been in a car wreck since I was sixteen and it had shaken me. I did manage to pull myself together and paste on a smile to greet people at the library. I sold a few books, then drove home with my husband, very grateful that it was an uneventful drive home.

So amid all the busyness of the season, Saturday night I hugged my kids a little tighter. The snow we had enjoyed earlier in the day was still falling a little bit and while it added to my Christmas spirit, after that car accident and the feelings that stemmed from it, suddenly wanting my children to know how much I loved them seemed much more important.

Because when it all comes down to it, that’s what the Christmas season is really all about—love.


5 Comments:

At 12/13/2007 2:05 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

I despise the snow. Actually, I love LOOKING at snow. I just hate dealing with it--like driving on ice. Not fun. So glad you're okay!

 
At 12/13/2007 3:28 PM, Blogger Karlene said...

It was bad that day. I was going to come to your event but my grandson was sealed to his parents that day and a huge party ensued afterward.

Glad you weren't hurt. How's your neck?

 
At 12/13/2007 7:11 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

I hate snow. =P

I managed to get my car totaled last December on the first big snow of the year.

I might like it maybe if I were into snow sports, but there really is no good that comes from it, in my world.

(Jon wishes he were in Florida.)

 
At 12/14/2007 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I was in California!
I don't necessarily HATE the snow but I don't LOVE the snow.
When I start driving (I'm only fourteen for your information) then I am going to get in so many crashes it's not even funny. Judging by the way I drive four-wheelers.

You guys had your seatbelts on right?

 
At 12/15/2007 2:03 PM, Blogger Julie Wright said...

i am a non snow person unless i am inside. I love the quiet of it and love the water it replenishes, but I'd rather walk barefoot on broken glass than be out IN snow. I'm glad you're okay Julie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home