Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Ballad of a Manuscript

by Julie Coulter Bellon

(sung to the Gilligan's Island theme song)

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started sometime way last March
By giving my manuscript

My girl was a secret agent gal,
The hero brave and sure.
Five readers reassured me
that the story wasn’t poor, the story wasn’t poor.

The evaluations were getting rough,
The manuscript was tossed,
If I didn’t do all the rewrites
Acceptance would be lost, acceptance would be lost.

I kept on with rewriting, I needed a desert isle
With chocolate
and my husband too,
Instead I got
seven kids,
No time to spare
A manuscript to rewrite
it was taking me a while

So this is the tale of the manuscript,
I rewrote it for a long, long time,
I tried to make the best of things,
It was an uphill climb.

I changed the story all around
I did my very best,
To make the publisher more comfortable,
So their answer would be yes.

Yesterday I got an email,
Patience was all it took,
My story is accepted,
Next spring it will be a book.

So join us here each week my friends,
You can hear all about progress,
My rewrites finally hit the mark,
A miracle no less


11 Comments:

At 2/26/2009 12:36 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

Of course the song was going through my head so much I couldn't skip ahead, but I was biting my lip hoping for an acceptance.

Yay! Congratulations!!! (Finally!)

 
At 2/26/2009 12:46 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Julie, this is fantastic!!! Congratulations!

 
At 2/26/2009 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news Julie! (and fun song!)
Congratulations!

Pat

 
At 2/26/2009 2:52 PM, Blogger Paige's Pages said...

Congratulations Julie! I can wait to read it! I am so excited for another of your novels! :) Your song was hilarious by the way!

Paige

 
At 2/26/2009 4:14 PM, Blogger Melanie Jacobson said...

Congratulations! Nice ballad there, too.

 
At 2/26/2009 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny! I'm glad it ended well and wasn't just clever avoidance. LOL

 
At 2/26/2009 11:37 PM, Blogger Stephanie Humphreys said...

Yay! I love your books and have been waiting for another one. Congratulations!

 
At 2/27/2009 9:29 AM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Oh, Julie! This is the best news I've heard all year! It even makes up for having your ballad running through my head all day long. :) HURRAY!

 
At 2/27/2009 10:30 AM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm really excited about the new book and thrilled it was finally accepted. Can't wait for you to read it. :)

 
At 2/27/2009 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes a fitful and fateful end to an exciting year.
Congratulations on the completion of many worhwhile projects not the least of which is your new daughter and now this coming book

 
At 3/03/2009 11:04 PM, Blogger Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Congratulations! And thanks so much for the laugh! We got the Gilligan's Island series for a Christmas present and I am so, so familiar with the tune now.

Clever!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home