Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It's Random Day

by Stephanie Black

I know. I'm late posting. And unlike Rob, I don't have the excuse of finals, or of anything else. I did have time to write a blog. I started blogging this morning. Worked for a bit on an idea. Set it aside. Came back to it this afternoon. Poked around at it some more. Ended up with a couple of paragraphs that counted as maybe half a blog, but I wasn't excited about where I'd thought about taking the topic from there. Urgh. Gave up. Went and played Wii Fit, because at least exercise felt productive, as opposed to wallowing in blog block.

So forget a coherent blog. I'll just be random.

*I'm having fun reading Whitney finalists. When I did my initial count, I had something like 23 1/2 books to read by the beginning of April. I've now read six off my list and am more than halfway through another. I'm currently reading Above and Beyond, by Betsy Brannon Green, along with Farword: Water Keep, by J. Scott Savage, which I am reading to my son. Next on the list: The Host, by Stephenie Meyer. It's fun to have a bunch of books to read--fun because I haven't yet hit the panic stage of "I'm out of time! Help!" (My panic is scheduled for the end of March.)

*After a YW activity one of our leaders was showing some of her high school pictures to the girls. Naturally the pictures are a hoot now. I tried to tell the girls that twenty years from now, their high school pictures will look just as dated, but I doubt they believed me. How can their pictures possibly look silly? Sure, the older generation dressed weird—honestly, whoever heard of tucking in your shirt?—and look at that big hair—ha ha ha!—but no way will their pictures ever evoke giggles. But fact is, they will. Their styles will look just as dated to their kids as my mother’s beehive-hairdoed classmate photos looked to me and my era's big curls and bangs-to-heaven styles look to my kids. I’m guilty of a certain amount of denial myself—I used to think that 80s clothes had a classic look (stop laughing), but little by little, changes in styles turn yesterday’s must-wear outfit into a museum piece.

*Speaking of the ‘80s, good gravy, what’s up with the profanity in ‘80s movies? You think it will be fun to watch Back to the Future with your kids and find out, wowie, they sure cussed a lot in movies back then. Maybe it’s because anything objectionable seems a lot more so when my kids are listening to it with me, or maybe it’s because I’m not used to hearing profanity anymore, but . . . wince.

*I like suburbs because there are places to park. Cities just seem so danged inconvenient. Interesting, but inconvenient.

*My youngest daughter just brought me a dandelion and instructed me to put it in water.

*I have a hard time comprehending the following:

--People who get a thrill out of extreme sports activities that could, at any moment, result in broken bones. I can't relate to the thrill-seeking gene at all. I'm too fond of keeping my body in one piece.
--People who don't like chocolate.
--People who, when feeling horribly sick, get up and clean their houses (love ya, Sariah and Kerry). My sister-in-law is like this (love you too, Sue). Sue could have a fever of 107 along with pneumonia, the stomach flu, and broken ankles, but she'd still get her floor mopped. I could be perfectly healthy and my floor still wouldn't get mopped because I'd be too busy checking to see if there was any interesting e-mail or if the Writers in Heels have updated their blogs.

*My oldest daughter is heading for BYU next year. It'll be a whole new adventure for us to have a college student.

*I need to go put that dandelion in water. See you next week, when I hope to actually write a coherent blog.


8 Comments:

At 2/25/2009 7:59 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

Yeah, be careful with the Breakfast Club, or Pretty in Pink, or Sixteen Candles. (Better Off Dead, Say Anything, One Crazy Summer - they're mostly ok.)

 
At 2/25/2009 8:04 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

How come we never heard all the swearing when we were teens? I don't get it.

I'm moving through the finalists pretty well. If I can keep up this pace, I shouldn't have a panic. But then, I got a head start this year--such as how, when your book came out, I guessed it might end up being a finalist so I read it right away. Totally called that! Yay me! (Or, you, as the case may be. :D)

 
At 2/25/2009 9:45 PM, Blogger MyDonkeySix said...

You crack me up! I know, I am insane about keeping a clean house.

And what is up with all that swearing? Ugh.

 
At 2/26/2009 12:39 AM, Blogger Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Yay, I love the random blog! That was fun, Stephanie. Good stuff.

I hear you on the being deaf to swearing when we were younger. Much different watching it with your own kids.

I also had bangs to the sky. Yow. Before that I had a bi-level. People now know that as a mullett.

 
At 2/26/2009 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give your youngest a kiss for bringing in the dandelion! We are still averaging a foot of snow on the level and I can just about see over the snowbank by the mailbox! A dandelion would look like a slice of heaven right now.

You really notice the swears when you start using captions... Woe!

Marlene Austin

 
At 2/26/2009 2:06 PM, Blogger Worldbuilder Robin said...

Coherency is highly overrated. Just so you know.

And yeah, those 80s movies were chock full of profanity. That was the "in" thing back then and made movies "real" and "edgy" or something. On that note, and to show my true "geekiness," the Transformers animated movie that came out in 1986 was made to be less "kiddy" by the addition of two swear words. This forced the movie to receive a PG rating (because, y'know, Optimus Prime DYING would have still been allowed in a G movie back then).

There's your useless trivia for the day. You're welcome.

 
At 2/26/2009 3:00 PM, Blogger Marcia Mickelson said...

I'm reading Above and Beyond right now too. It's good.

 
At 2/27/2009 8:32 AM, Blogger Cheri J. Crane said...

Loved your random thoughts. =) Way fun. And I agree, I didn't notice the swearing or innuendos from movies that were popular during my teen years. Maybe we blocked it out?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home