Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Friday, February 13, 2009

A Love Poem for my Husband

by Kerry Blair

I'd planned to slip this poem in my husband's valentine tomorrow, but since the first blog I posted this morning failed miserably to express the deep appreciation -- not to mention wonder and amazement -- I feel about the Whitney thing, I'll share it with everybody and hope for more inspiration before next Friday.

The 17th Century poet Anne Bradstreet is one of my American Idols. This is "To My Dear and Beloved Husband." Even though I didn't write it, I think it every day.

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee.
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole Mines of gold
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that Rivers cannot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee give recompence.
Thy love is such I can no way repay.
The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let's so persevere
That when we live no more, we may live ever.

Happy Valentine's Day!


6 Comments:

At 2/13/2009 2:01 PM, Blogger Cheri J. Crane said...

What a beautiful poem. I'm glad you shared. =) And Kerry, congrats again on the lifetime achievement award. Way cool!

 
At 2/13/2009 2:10 PM, Blogger Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Kerry, perfect poem. And I'm so glad about your lifetime achievement award. You are so deserving and I'm proud to be called your friend. :-)

Much love.

 
At 2/13/2009 2:23 PM, Blogger Melanie Goldmund said...

Kerry, congratulations on the lifetime achievement award, and I'll bet nobody, but nobody who works for the Social Security Administration has ever brought as much joy into people's lives as you do. You really deserve that award!

I've never heard of Anne Bradstreet, but what a beautiful poem. Now I'll have to go look her up and enrich myself by reading more.

 
At 2/14/2009 10:40 AM, Blogger Jennie said...

This is one of the few pieces of poetry I've loved for many years, and you know I'm pretty choosy when it comes to poetry. There's not much I like. This one expresses so well my feelings for my husband too. Thanks for sharing it today.

And Kerry that lifetime achievement award serves you right.

 
At 2/14/2009 11:08 AM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Cheri & Nancy: Thank you, ladies. You two are stuck with me forever, you know. (Nancy, I suspect that when we make the celestial kingdom, we'll STILL be sent to the edge of outer darkness to hawk books together.)

Melanie: Ah...one of the few who caught the first blog, I see. You and Jon and Dave. I might have known. :) Thanks for the kind words -- they mean so much coming from you. (You know I still check out your son's art from time to time. That's one talented kid!)

Anne Bradstreet is amazing! Every author in the world can identify with the poem she wrote to her first book. My favorite, though, is her thoughts upon the burning of her house. I've shared it so often I can quote it in my sleep.

Jennie: You always say exactly the right thing in exactly the right way. Is it any wonder you're another of my American Idols? (Also a reason the award seems so...unfitted...to me. O. Scott Card? Well, maybe. I mean he's only super-talented, super-rich, a multi-award winner and internationally famous for his work. What's that, really? But to be considered in the same class as Jennie Hansen? No possible way. :)

 
At 2/14/2009 6:00 PM, Blogger Traci Hunter Abramson said...

Kerry,

First of all congratulations. Secondly, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so excited to see you honored with this Whitney Award. It's wonderful to see someone so deserving recognized. (Not to mention, I can tell everyone "I know her!")

 

Post a Comment

<< Home