Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!


Today I decided that my husband and I should never go out on Valentine's Day ever again. The crowds - wow! We tried to go to our favorite restaurant for dinner - at 5:00 they already had a two hour wait. So we went next door to a not as great restaurant that was practically empty, and had a fabulous time. (The food wasn't as good, but it was still pretty yummy.) By the time we returned the beeper to our original restaurant, our name still hadn't been called.

Then we went to the movies (Mistake No. 2). Traffic was backed up for blocks of people trying to get into the theater. We arrived for our movie ("Taken" - Liam Neeson is AWESOME) thirty minutes early, and ten minutes after our arrival every single seat in the theater was filled. Craziness. Fortunately, there is a back road out of the theater that we could take to get home.

My wonderful mom watched the kids for us so that we could have this full, real date, and it was wonderful. Particularly since in 17 days our life is going to be turned upside down by the arrival of our new baby (on March 3 - did you mark your calendars?). It was nice to have this one last hurrah to tide us over for the next few months.

My husband also brought me flowers and chocolate and a balloon, because he's awesome like that. But we decided for the future maybe we should just exchange cards on Valentine's Day and then go out to celebrate either the day before or the day after. Because while I can't do a holiday like Christmas on any day but Christmas (it just feels weird to do it earlier), Valentine's Day is a holiday I could take or leave. It's just not all that important to me. I like having a chance to celebrate and have some alone time, but I don't necessarily have to have it on the 14th.

So how do you celebrate Valentine's? Do you fight the crowds or stay in? Do you celebrate on a day besides February 14?


5 Comments:

At 2/15/2009 11:13 AM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

That first paragraph perfectly describes our Valentines Day.

The one great part this time was double dating with my parents, who've been on missions for 4 years and are home for a brief visit. Yay!

 
At 2/15/2009 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Valentine's day at home. Anniversary, night on the town.

 
At 2/16/2009 11:17 AM, Blogger J Scott Savage said...

We never, ever celebrate Valentines Day. The Valentines Fairy brings stuff for the kids and doorbell ditches us every year, but that's it.

The reason is that we feel like this is someone else telling us when we have to go on a date and buy flowers. It's like you HAVE to show each other that you really are in love on Feb 14th. Not before or after, just on that day. Or else you are in big trouble.

We went out to dinner and played on Friday laughing about how we totally avoided the Saturday crowds, and having a ball.

The only thing with doing this is that you both have to feel the same way. If one of you feels like the 14th is a really important day, don't even think about it.

 
At 2/16/2009 6:43 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

We celebrated on Friday - out to a play* and a sentimental dinner, then came home and played Rock Band. =)

We've tried going on the day itself only to have generally horrible experiences - we both hate crowds and lines.


* If you live in Utah County and enjoy this sort of thing, I can recommend All Shook Up at the Hale Theater in Orem. Lots of fun singing and dancing.

 
At 2/17/2009 12:56 PM, Blogger Anna said...

My husband was gone all day helping his brother with a remodel on his house. He brought home a Little Cesear pizza on his way back to helping again.

My kids made valentines for grandparents and aunts. When my husband got home around 9:00, he had bought me my favorite candy bar. Then we played computer games the rest of the night.

My sister is taking two of my kids on Friday to play, so I figure we will eat out that evening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home