Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Mii Too

by Stephanie Black

We got a Wii for Christmas in 2007, and I’ve played it a grand total of twice. Sure, it looks cool, but if I have free time, there are other things I’d rather be doing, so I leave it to the kids and my husband. But lately on my family e-mail list, there’s been a lot of talk about the Wii Fit, how fun it is, how it makes you feel the burn, and that kind of thing. In light of my ongoing quest to get in shape while enduring the least possible suffering, I decided to jump on the bandwagon and get Wii Fit. I figure anything fun that helps me get moving and burn calories is a good thing. My eight-year-old was thrilled. Mom ordered a Wii Fit! Will wonders never cease?

So yesterday, UPS delivered our Wii Fit (I love Amazon.com) and the adventure began. My eight-year-old—oh the agony!—didn’t have time to try it out after school because he had Cub Scouts and piano lessons. I promised I wouldn’t try it until he could show me how (remember, I’m a Wii novice. I don’t even know which buttons to push). So my twelve-year-old son inaugurated it, and it wasn’t until after dinner that I finally stepped onto the Wii Board that I hope will change, if not my life, at least my pant size.

First it has you enter your height and age, and it calculates freaky numbers like weight and BMI. I don’t know where it came up with the number it gave me for my weight, but either gravity is lighter in the family room than it is around my bathroom scale, or the Wii is angling to become my friend via rank dishonesty. If it tells me I have great teeth, impeccable fashion sense, and a dazzling personality, I’ll accept that too. But I think it was starting to figure out that it had messed up—after I’d been off the board and got back on it, it told me my weight was higher. Ya think? Must have been that drink of water, or maybe that umpteen pounds you failed to notice the first time around.

But it wasn’t all pleasant little lies from my new Fitness Friend. I won’t tell you what my Wii Fit age is, lest Rob make fun of me, but it was a good bit older than I really am. This is annoying, considering that I’ve been dedicated about exercising for many weeks now. I’d like the Wii to say, “Hey, woman, you’ve been exercising, haven’t you? Good job! Have another donut! You’ve earned it.”

It also turns out that I am unbalanced. This will not come as a surprise to anyone who’s read my books, but sheesh, did the Wii have to rub it in? And pegging me in the forehead with cleats when I was supposed to be hitting soccer balls was just uncalled for.

At least I’ll get my money’s worth from the games, since I’ve got lots of room to improve. But I beat my husband on the hula hoops . . .


7 Comments:

At 2/18/2009 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny post, Stephanie. I've wondered about getting one of those, but after your description I think I'll just stick with our PS2 and DDR. I get humiliated enough by that.

 
At 2/18/2009 3:39 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

We got the WiiFit a couple of months ago (also via Amazon) and haven't tried it out yet. We're too addicted to Rock Band. My wife spent hours customizing her character. I'm truly astounded at all the varieties of clothing options. (And quite amused by the names of them.)

I need to add something to my routine - I haven't lost any weight in a month. (Despite dieting and going to the gym. Blast you, Peanut Butter M&M's!)

 
At 2/18/2009 8:09 PM, Blogger Marion Jensen said...

Has it asked you if you fall down a lot? It asked me that.

My wii age has been as high 48, and as low as 24. I fluctuate.

 
At 2/18/2009 9:12 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Yeah, it asks me if I trip when I walk, or something rude like that.

 
At 2/18/2009 9:41 PM, Blogger Melanie Jacobson said...

Playing that soccer game makes me feel dumb. Real dumb. Then I do the ski jump one and I feel like an athletic genius. I think I'm mixing my metaphors, but you get what I'm saying.

 
At 2/19/2009 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only played Wii fit once and hated it. But my sister and her whole family- and I mean her WHOLE family, all 6 kids and her husband- LOVE IT!
I just don't understand how it can be so addicting. Maybe someday, I'll get addicted to it too; But until then, I'm going to play guitar hero until my fingers fall off. Good luck Stephanie:D

 
At 2/20/2009 1:02 AM, Blogger Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Stephanie, how funny! I wish we could exercise together. We'd spend our time laughing. Which really is its own form of exercise. Good for the abs or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home