Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Dislocating Your Jaw

by Sariah S. Wilson

Anybody remember my posts from earlier this year about how I would remember 2008 as the year my body gave out on me? Apparently it wasn't done.

Any explanation of how this happened ended up sounding seamy (even though it wasn't), but let's just say that I somehow managed to suffer an injury last night through extremely strange means (i.e., there's no way in the world I should have gotten hurt, but ended up having that happen anyway).

The right side of my face hurt, especially the jaw area. The area quickly became stiff, and I've found it hard to open my mouth, chew, and I literally can't close my mouth all the way.

I ended up in urgent care this morning (where the fake doctors work) and they couldn't do an X-ray on me to determine whether or not I'd actually dislocated my jaw or just sprained the tendon. So basically, if my pain increases, I should come back. And if it's not better by Monday, I should see my family physician (ya think?). The faux doctor speculated that I had a contusion/bruise internally which has caused my jaw to freeze up.

And of course, I can't have anything to help with the huge pain, except for Tylenol, which I'm pretty sure that I'm immune to.

I had to go to the store to stock up on soup and yogurt and fake mashed potatoes so that I could actually eat something. Any suggestions on food that will sort of melt in your mouth and not require chewing?

So I'm going back to lay down and put an ice pack on my face. Let's hope this is the end of body parts failing this year.


8 Comments:

At 10/18/2008 3:47 PM, Blogger Liana Brooks said...

Dove chocolate?

I hope you get better.

 
At 10/18/2008 3:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Oh Sariah! I'm so sorry. That sounds so painful. And I hear you about this being the year of the body falling apart--I feel like the warranty on my body has expired. I used to think I was healthy, and now it seems to be one thing after another.

For food, how about some soft bean soups--you can even puree them. Black bean, split pea, lentil.

 
At 10/18/2008 6:13 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

You can't NOT tell us how it happened. Now we're all going to be imagining all kinds of weird things.

But as someone who was on a liquid diet for weeks as a teen due to jaw surgery: try Ensure cans. They're actually much tastier than they were in 1990. :) And when you can bear a little pressure, tater tots and french fries are really soft and you can almost squish them with your tongue w/out putting much pressure on your jaw. And of course, soft soups and broths. Just don't let the fam order Chinese or pizza until you recover. Mine did, and I swear, it was torture watching them eat.

 
At 10/18/2008 7:33 PM, Blogger Karlene said...

Popsicles, fudgesicles, ice cream or any frozen treat. Not only does it melt in your mouth, so it's easy to eat, but it's like an ice pack on the inside. And the calories won't count because it's totally for medicinal purposes. :)

 
At 10/18/2008 8:08 PM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

Thanks for the thoughts everyone - unfortunately we have to leave sweets off entirely. They make me sick - and while I thoroughly enjoy while I'm eating them, immediately after it leaves this horrible, sickening taste in my mouth that won't go away no matter what I do. That also includes fruit, unfortunately.

How it happened (I'd rather say it in comments than on the blog anyway) was my husband was tickling me and I was trying to prevent him (I'm very ticklish) and he was trying to angle in and tickle me and pushed against the side of my face with the top of his head. He didn't do it hard, he didn't accidentally hit me, but he had to have been in this absolutely perfect location so that with that minimal pressure he applied I still got injured. Total freak accident. For some reason every time I tried to write up a recap of what happened and explain it, it just kept sounding strange. That didn't sound too bad though, did it?

 
At 10/18/2008 8:39 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

Not bad at all. And now I can use this when my husband tries tickling me. I swear I have some kind of PTSD over tickling thanks to a big brother who traumatized me over it. Now I can argue that hubby better not, or he'll dislocate my jaw. Thanks, Sariah! Your pain has had a purpose. :D

 
At 10/18/2008 8:40 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

I don't buy it. I'm calling DCFS.

 
At 10/18/2008 10:53 PM, Blogger emily said...

Ok, I know you have KNOW IDEA who I am.. (I was clicking around on Jill and Dave's blog to see if I knew anybody). Any ways I have MAJOR jaw problems and did the same thing when I was pregnant while I was yawning! Any who check out a chiropractor.... they can work wonders! Just thought you might be interested and hopefully helpful too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home