Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, October 09, 2008

What Books Are You Reading?

by Julie Coulter Bellon

Things have been very busy for me lately. In the last few weeks, I have been taking care of a newborn, finishing the rewrite on my book, and helping my oldest son get his mission papers ready. My father is flying in today from Canada and my husband and I are blessing our baby this Sunday. Of course Monday is Canadian Thanksgiving and I’m thrilled that we can sit down to a Thanksgiving dinner with my dad and some of my close friends. I have a lot to be grateful for, that’s for sure.

In my downtime, I’ve been reading, The Host, by Stephenie Meyer. I had heard several things about the story, from “It’s no Twilight,” to “the first one hundred pages were boring,” and so on. I wasn’t expecting it to be very good, but surprisingly, I’ve liked it. It is a departure from Twilight, but the premise is interesting to me. Earth has been invaded by an enemy that makes the humans their “hosts”----the mind is taken over while the body remains intact. There is a small pocket of human resistance, however, and “Wanderer” one of the invading “souls” is tasked to help find them. Her host body is not willing to give up her mind and will so easily, though, and “Wanderer” becomes part of Melanie’s world, including hearing Melanie’s thoughts, feeling Melanie’s will, and falling in love with the man that Melanie loves. It’s a compelling story to me, very unique in its twists and turns with one body and two minds in love with one man. I’m halfway through and really enjoying the story.

Next on my “to read” list is Betsy Brannon Green’s newest book, “Above and Beyond.” It’s the sequel to “Hazardous Duty,” and I’ve been waiting impatiently to see what happens with Savannah and Dane. I am a huge Betsy Brannon Green fan and I think this is her best series so far. The characters are complicated and as always, her stories are ones that I can’t put down.

Right next to that one, is Jennie Hansen’s new historical, “The Ruby,” Vol. 4 in her Bracelet series. I’ve really enjoyed this series and have been waiting anxiously for this one, especially since it is the last volume. Jennie has a knack for bringing characters to life, but in these historical books, she has truly outdone herself. It’s been hard to wait for each volume!

There are four books on my “to buy” list that also look good. “The Shadow of the Crown,” by Jeri Gilchrist, "Eyes of a Stranger," by Rachel Ann Nunes, “Royal Target,” by Traci Hunter Abramson, and “Her Good Name,” by Josi Kilpack. Since it is my birthday next month, maybe I’ll put those on my wish list and get them sooner. But it is hard to wait when the story looks good. If only I had more shelf space at home and an unlimited book budget!

The weather is turning colder now, and to me, there’s nothing better than curling up with a blanket and a book. I have my list above, but what about you? What's on your "to read" or "to buy" list? Have you read any good books lately that you would feel like recommending?


10 Comments:

At 10/09/2008 12:38 PM, Blogger Stephanie Humphreys said...

Happy Thanksgiving Julie!

Our local bookstore holds a ladies night out during the priesthood session during each general conference. My daughter won a copy of Royal Target, I won a copy of Eyes of a Stranger and we bought Her Good Name. My reading list also includes the Authurian Omen by G.G. Vandagriff.

My only other reading lately has been a few writing books and the election manual for polling clerks as I'll be helping with the election on Tuesday.

As for The Host. I enjoyed it more than the Twilight series.

 
At 10/09/2008 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The books I'm currently reading (and have recently read and want to read) can be viewed on at my Goodreads account.

My currently reading list is:

1. Calligraphy For Dummies

2. The Cluetrain Manifesto: The End of Business as Usual

3. Time and Eternity by E.M Tippetts

4. Manuscripts Don't Burn: Mikhail Bulgakov A Life in Letters and Diaries

 
At 10/09/2008 1:20 PM, Blogger Tamra Norton said...

I about 2/3 the way through Jason Wright's latest novel, Recovering Charles and enjoying it very much! I also enjoyed The Host. Very different from Twilight but original and captivating.

 
At 10/09/2008 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never seem to get around to reading actual books anymore, other than the monthly book club book. I read too many blogs.

Lately I've been absorbed in reading this one:

http://mysuperhopelessromance.blogspot.com

If you like Twilight, you'll probably like her blog.

 
At 10/09/2008 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I work at Seagull, I get to read lots of new books. Here's my favorites lately, in no order:

Above and Beyond (fantastic, but a really annoying ending since it's a cliffhanger and I can't go buy book 3 yet)

Shadow of the Crown (so good, a cute romance with a good storyline)

Epicenter (holy freaking intense, I cried when I finished it despite being in the education building at UVU)

Her Good Name (loved it, though kind of chilling in a this-could-happen-to-me kind of way)

Eyes of a Stranger (really good)

Royal Target (I'm reading it right now and so far so good)

So basically, you have some good ones on your "must buy" and "must read" list right now. :)

 
At 10/09/2008 7:47 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Lindzee, please don't tell me that there is a cliffhanger ending on Above and Beyond. Those are soooo difficult for me. *sigh*

I'm glad to hear the others I picked are good though. I'll have to try Epicenter.

Wendy, thanks for the link.

Tami, I haven't read any Jason Wright books. Sounds like I need to!

William you have a very diverse list. Thanks for the suggestions.

Stephanie, Happy Thanksgiving!! You are so lucky.

 
At 10/10/2008 3:19 AM, Blogger Anna said...

I am also reading "The Host" currently. My sister said she wasn't really all the way into it until about 100 pages. Knowing that, I got pretty into from the beginning. The last books I read were all 4 of the Twilight series.

I also am planning on reading "Above and Beyond" soon. My mother read it and really liked it.

I don't really have specific books beyond those that I want to read. But there are definately a bunch I would like to read at some point.

I recently read "Spare Change" by Aubrey Mace. It is her first published book, and I thought it was a really good read.

 
At 10/10/2008 6:20 AM, Blogger Melanie Goldmund said...

I'm currently reading Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson, for the second time, just because I enjoyed it so much the first time around. I can really recommend it, and everything else that he's written.

I also enjoyed "Time and Eternity" by E.M. Tippetts.

If you want, I can recommend my own story, which I'm posting on the internet in installments. It's fanfiction, though, not specifically LDS. Let me know!

 
At 10/10/2008 1:26 PM, Blogger Heather Moore said...

I'm reading "These is my Words" right now, and just finished "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn".

I enjoyed The Host as well.

Last month I read "Her Good Name" and "Far World"--loved both of them.

 
At 10/13/2008 2:23 AM, Blogger Paige's Pages said...

Julie,

I enjoyed the host as well. Working at Seagull also I get to read LOTS of books. Above and beyond was wonderful. I have to say the cliff hanger ending is worse than the first one. :) Oh well. I'll just have to hope for more books in between. When is your next one coming? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home