Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, September 27, 2008

When You Lose Your Mind

by Sariah S. Wilson

So, here I've sat for the last 20 minutes trying to think of something to blog about. I'm not really sure why my mind is functioning so poorly these days.

I blame my 16-month-old. She is the light of my life, but is sucking my will to create. I admire those that can do it still (create with small children), but she's like this cute little trap, that stands there all sweet and docile, saying her favorite words, "bus" (which she puts a th sound on the end, SO CUTE) and "Mama" and "buh-bye." (She has a rather amazing vocabulary and speaks in short sentences, but she has a tendency to say her favorite words over and over again, just to hear herself say them.) With those big blue eyes, curling at the ends reddish-blonde hair and sweet temperment, she beckons you over. She wants you to become completely involved in her world. And how can anyone resist?

Obviously, I can't.

Plus, I think I should be given some leeway considering the big upheavals in my life recently - which now includes my parents' brand new car being stolen out of their driveway the morning after my brother's return home from his mission.

My mother came downstairs, got her keys from the key rack, walked outside...and there was no car.

My parents have never owned a new car. For the 34 years they've been married, they've only had very used cars. After pumping a lot of money into the last car, they decided the time had come to have their very first new car, a blue Honda Accord which they both loved.

I don't think devastated begins to cover it. You can imagine how violated they felt, that something like this had happened in their driveway. My mom was quick to see the blessings in the situation in that they had the house's downstairs windows open - obviously things could have been much worse.

People were quick to point out that the Honda Accord is allegedly one of the top ten cars stolen, and that their new car was now sitting in some chop shop being stripped for parts. My parents hoped that some teenagers had taken it out for a joyride and that it would be recovered (although my mom got very attached to her shiny, fun rental car and thought maybe having to wait a little bit to get it back wouldn't be so bad).

If the car was not recovered, they would not be able to purchase another new one. The Blue Book value of the lost car wouldn't cover the cost of starting over on another car. My mom also lamented the loss of her favorite CD and some of her favorite books left in the trunk.

Last night my father got a phone call at 1:30 in the morning from the police saying his car had been recovered and he needed to come down and identify it. The person who had stolen the car was actually in the car when it was found. My father was also asked whether or not he knew the woman who had taken it. He didn't, but it was definitely his car and he was able to take it home with him.

Not only had nothing been taken out of the car (CD and books still intact!), but my RM brother discovered the thief's credit cards. (Those were returned to the police, who decided that anyone who stole a car didn't need their credit cards returned to them right away.)

There wasn't even any damage to the car - turns out that my mother had a spare key in her purse, which had slipped out without her knowing it into the car. My father is very regimented in locking up all the cars every night, but that night simply forgot to what with all the excitement of my brother's homecoming. Someone happened along at the right time and the right place to take advantage of the situation.

See? Stress.

Plus, and don't mind me while I complain a little bit, but I've been having a lot of headaches with this pregnancy. This isn't something I've experienced with any of the others, and I'm not really sure what to do. My mom had such an aversion to taking any kind of medication while pregnant, and I find that I'm very much the same. So while I know it's supposed to be okay to take Tylenol, is it okay if I have to take it every day? Or is that too much? My dad suspects that I'm not hydrated enough (and for the first time ever, water tastes bad. I'm not really sure what to do about this - I seem to manage to be able to get down Crystal Light lemonade, but I have the worst time forcing myself to drink water. Which is weird, because typically, while not pregnant, I drink A LOT of water every day).

Or it could be the lack of sleep. There's so much to do, and my baby likes to wake up at 4:30 - 5:00 in the morning. Sometimes she goes back to sleep, but more often than not she doesn't. So I end up getting about six hours of sleep a night, and I don't think that's enough. Maybe that's what's making my head hurt. And I keep forgetting to ask my doctor about this. Why, I don't know (lack of sleep and dehydration, maybe?). I should probably write it on my hand so I don't forget.

Has anyone else experienced daily headaches while pregnant? Do they stop? Any suggestions or tips would be most welcome.


9 Comments:

At 9/27/2008 11:00 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

For my pregnancy headaches (which sometimes were migraines, they joys) with my last one, I finally resorted to drinking Mtn Dew. I'd never in my life had any caffeine, and even though it's supposed to keep you awake, the relief from the pain was so great that I was able, for the first time in forever, to fall asleep and nap while a neighbor took care of the two who weren't in school yet. I crashed hard for that nap and needed the sleep. Caffeine's not the best of solutions, but I considered it medication just to survive my week-long headaches.

Good luck!

 
At 9/28/2008 1:38 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Sariah, I'm so sorry about the headaches. That doesn't sound fun.

I'm grateful your parents got their new car back! My goodness, what a story!

 
At 9/28/2008 2:06 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

Sariah, Write it down, stapel it to your forehead and don't forget to ask the dr! Important. Ask the dr.

Headaches are no fun when you are pregnant, and having to take medicine is no picnic either. Try to get a nap, eat as well as you can and drink your water. I found some crystalized lemon, lime and orange packets over by the drink mixes in my grocery store. No sugar or anything added, just crystalized fruit. Try finding some of that and adding it to your water, maybe it will be a bit more palatable.

 
At 9/28/2008 10:43 AM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

But Sariah, according to a prophet of God, you are doing everything exactly right!

I suspect that many of us will be able to live on President Uchtdorf's comments at last night's women's broadcast for the rest of our lives. He said that we all yearn to be creative, then when on to talk about what true godlike creativity really is. The highest form, of course, is the creation of life -- and you are certainly in the Valley of the Shadow of Ick with that! The second is to create something that wasn't there before within our homes and families -- beauty, faith, joy, memories -- and that is what you are doing with that beautiful seductive little girl of yours.

I have to admit that my blue-eyed "baby" is 21 years old now, but she is not a bit less beguiling. I needed very much to work yesterday after being gone for ten days, but instead she led me into one of her favorite worlds -- shopping! We found an incredible "steal" on a creche that I know she will treasure forever, and also picked up a few yards of fabric from which we created a beautiful quilted wall hanging for her apartment. We pieced and sewed together while we watched the women's broadcast, and I must admit that I teared up when a prophet testified again that the greatest joy in my life -- the time I spend with my family -- is one of the only things I'll ever do that will really matter in the end.

You are a marvelous example to us all, Sariah. Thank you! (And so glad the car came back! That is so very rare -- a mercy from God, for sure!)

 
At 9/28/2008 12:02 PM, Blogger Jennie said...

Sariah, call your doctor and tell him about the headaches. My headaches turned out to be high blood pressure and toxemia, nothing to play around with. And drink your water no matter how unappealing water is. If the headaches turn out to be pregnancy related migraines then follow Annette's advice and take some form of caffeine medication--Tylonel has a caffeine laced migraine tablet--just use it as sparingly as possible because caffeine isn't really good for your baby either. Now that Dr. Mom has spoken, I'll just add I'm glad the car was found.

 
At 9/28/2008 2:20 PM, Blogger Karlene said...

I had terrible headaches with my 4th & last pregnancy. It was not at all fun. Sometimes stress on the mother from the headache is harder on the baby than tylenol. Tell your doctor.

 
At 9/29/2008 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - do you know how incredibly lucky it is for your parents to get that car back intact? ...and how nice of the thief to leave her credit cards! I hope they gassed up on them before they returned them!
LOL!
Good luck with the pregnancy - and please do be careful with the caffeine intake - I read somewhere that that is linked to ADD. I had one of those children, and Oy, you think you have headaches now...
Pat

 
At 9/30/2008 2:04 AM, Blogger Janice Sperry said...

I didn't have headaches with my pregnancies but I did think tap water tasted horrible. I found that bottled water was easier to stomach. Not all bottled water is the same so keep trying if you don't like the first one you try.

 
At 10/01/2008 5:23 AM, Blogger All your tiger are belong to us. said...

EMPTY MIND, FULL BLOG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home