Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Why I Love The Muppets

by Sariah S. Wilson

So I started out writing a blog wondering how Nicholas Sparks has sold 50 million books. Don't get me wrong - I liked the movie version of "The Notebook" as much as the next girl, but so many of his books are just...I don't get it. I have yet to read one of his books and adore it (although I do adore movie versions of his books).

But that's depressing and might offend people, so The Muppets are definitely safer. My Muppet love affair began at an early age when I adored Sesame Street. My father would be late to work because he would sit and watch it with me. The Muppets were something we could enjoy as a family.

My mother also potty-trained me to Sesame Street (putting my chair in front of the television). I'm sure this has some Freudian application to it, but we will not be discussing this.

Then when The Muppet Show came out, I was allowed to stay up past my bedtime in order to watch it. I still know all the words to the theme song, even though the show went off the air when I was six.

I stayed an avid follower of Jim Henson's - watched all the Muppet movies repeatedly, watched Fraggle Rock and Muppet Babies, and movies like "Labyrinth" and "The Dark Crystal." I adored "Farscape" (the love story of Aeryn and Crichton was simply one of the best on TV EVER) and still won't watch the SciFi channel out of protest at its cancellation. (Hear that SciFi? I don't care how good stinking Battlestar Galactica is!)

So you can imagine my delight when I ran across some short Muppet clips that were designed to be on YouTube. I am hopeful that this means we may get some sort of Muppet enterprise in the near future.

This first clip is just classic Beaker - watch how he affects himself in each of the different boxes.



This second one is also Beaker-centric (with an Animal cameo - love him!), and once you watch it, I promise you that you'll be walking around all day with this song in your head.



This one's not quite as funny as the others, but I've always loved Gonzo - keep an eye on the squabbling chickens in the bottom row - (and the comments at the end are hilarious):



I also love this Muppet Rickroll (if you don't know what a Rickroll is, our good friends at Wikipedia are here to save the day, as always). The timing on this is great, it fits well because Rick Astley was a redhead like Beaker, and it has another important Animal moment (it probably helps that "Never Gonna Give You Up" is one of my favorite songs ever and I had plans in high school to fly to England, convert Rick Astley and marry him).



Viva La Muppets!


7 Comments:

At 10/11/2008 10:44 PM, Blogger Marcia Mickelson said...

I was wondering the same thing about Nicholas Sparks a few weeks ago after I finished reading True Believer. I don't get it either.

 
At 10/12/2008 12:27 AM, Blogger Stephanie Humphreys said...

Thanks for all the muppet clips. My kids love the Muppets and will often choose to watch an episode or two when they have the time to watch some t.v. I remember watching them as a kid myself. Great times.

 
At 10/12/2008 5:07 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

Fozzy was always my favorite. Along with Statler and Waldorf.

 
At 10/12/2008 5:45 PM, Blogger hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I too am a muppet lover! Wish my kids could see it!

 
At 10/13/2008 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun post - you did, however, leave out Kermit the Frog, The Count, and Big Bird.

Pat

 
At 10/13/2008 9:30 PM, Blogger Kelsi Rose said...

Muppet Christmas Carrol is my favorite version and regularly, even though it isn't Christmas. I would watch it tonight if I had my copy handy...but I digress. Disney Chanel has been having different clips of the Muppets lately. their latest one was of Demi Lavado singing with Beaker, "This is Me," it was great.

 
At 10/14/2008 9:19 AM, Blogger Josi said...

I'm reading posts out of order, but Nicholas Sparks is a great example of Jeff's post about character, plot, and writing. Sparks is a beautiful writer, but his stories are booooooring and his characters are milk toast. I've never seen any of the movies, but the books, though brim full of beautiful words, were flat as a pancake. As for muppets--it always bugged me that Miss Piggy was bigger than Kermit. I never got over it. I have the same problem with Donkey and Dragon in Shrek. Just not right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home