Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Suspense is Killing Me!

by Julie Coulter Bellon

Most people who know me, know that I have a hard time waiting for things to happen. When my manuscript is being reviewed, I try really hard not to think about it, and bury myself in another project, because if I don’t, I will drive myself and those around me crazy. It’s the same with Christmas. My husband doesn’t even put my gifts under the tree anymore until the night before because of my temptation to peek. I can’t help it. Even when I was expecting my children I had ultrasounds that told me what I was going to have, except with one child, and it about killed me not to know so I never did it again.

Why am I telling you this, you ask? The post office called me at 7:00 a.m. this morning. I sleepily answered and the voice on the other end said, “We have a mission call here at the post office, if you’d like to come and pick it up instead of waiting for regular delivery.” I tried to make my voice sound normal as I said we’d be right down to pick it up. And guess what I have in my hot little hands right now? You guessed it. My oldest son’s mission call. It’s a nice sized white envelope with his name clearly marked on the front. I think they should put “To the parents of . . .” because then I could open it. But they didn’t. So I’m stuck waiting for my son to come home from college this weekend to open it and he can’t come home until Sunday. Which is three days away and feels like forever.

I don’t know if I can wait until then. The temptation is great, but I am trying to resist. I keep telling myself that:

  • Steaming it open is a bad idea. Surprises are fun! Lots of people love surprises.

  • This is my chance to learn patience and I can do it. I can do hard things.

  • Three days isn’t that long. I can wait for seventy-two hours. It's only 4320 minutes. Or 259200 seconds. That's hardly any time at all.

I keep saying those phrases over and over, but so far, it’s not working. I still want to know what is in that envelope and where exactly my son has been assigned for the next two years of his life. And I want to know it ASAP.

Would it be bad if I begged him to come home from college today, open his call, and then head back? It's only a six hour drive round trip. I could offer to pay for his gas.

* sigh *

Well, in order to distract myself, I have come up with a little contest. I would like you to try and predict where my son will be sent. From what I understand there are around 365 missions throughout the world. Where do you think he will go? Make your predictions in the comment section and if anyone guesses right, I will give you a signed copy of my newest book, All’s Fair.

Sound fair?


29 Comments:

At 10/16/2008 11:37 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

How about the Philippines, Manila Mission.

 
At 10/16/2008 11:48 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

Somewhere in South America- I say Cordoba, Argentina

 
At 10/16/2008 12:15 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

England, London South.

So exciting, Julie! I totally understand having a hard time waiting--except where it comes to Christmas presents. I can't comprehend the peek-at-your-presents impulse. Where's the fun on Christmas morning if you already know everything you're getting? Christmas would be such a disappointment! :)

 
At 10/16/2008 1:12 PM, Blogger Melanie Goldmund said...

Germany Hamburg Mission.

 
At 10/16/2008 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son returned from his Paraguay, Asuncion, South American mission just this past August. Two years ago when we found his big white envelope in the mailbox, Adam was in a mall in Temecula, California taking a break from working at the scout camp. We enthusiastically drove the three hours from Yuma, tracked him down in the crowded shopping center, and handed him his precious package. He took the envelope from my husband's hand, said thanks, and then turned to re-join his friends. He didn't get too far with his mother hanging onto his elbow. (I'm rather heavy for him to drag without causing a stir.) He finally opened and read the letter and then found out where he was to be sent. We were all surprised, at first. Then after we got to thinking about it, he being sent to the jungles of South America made perfect sense. It was sooooo Adam. He returned to us a grown man, and being able to speak four more languages than before he left.

 
At 10/16/2008 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last comment was mine. I just forgot to sign it. Sorry.
Deb.

 
At 10/16/2008 2:37 PM, Blogger Pat said...

Boise Idaho.

 
At 10/16/2008 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and I want to guess your son will be sent to the Sao Paulo, Brazil Mission. They have many more missions there than Paraguay, but the countryside is just as beautiful.
Deb

 
At 10/16/2008 2:45 PM, Blogger Charlie Moore said...

First of all, Julie, congrats to your son and your family. This is an exciting time for him to go out and do the Lord's work full time. He will have a great time and a wonderful learning experience.

I will guess China. I believe the Church has a mission or two there.

Oh, and Pat, you apparently watch way too much Single's Ward. Just kidding.

Charlie Moore

 
At 10/16/2008 2:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Tokyo, Japan

 
At 10/16/2008 3:36 PM, Blogger Janice Sperry said...

Ohio. It sounds like a nice safe place. I admire your restraint. I would call him and open it over the phone. Actually, first I'd call him and then pretend to open it while we were on the phone. I still have ten years before my son is old enough to go on a mission. I hope that will give me enough time to learn proper restraint.

 
At 10/16/2008 4:04 PM, Blogger Anna said...

I will guess Texas Houston Mission. That is where my husband went. Specifically he went to the Texas Houston East Mission. Do we have to be that specific?

 
At 10/16/2008 4:07 PM, Blogger Pat said...

No Charlie - that's exactly what I was thinking of - LOL!

 
At 10/16/2008 5:32 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

I was thinking Japan like primarymary. But since she said Tokyo, I'll go with anywhere else in Japan. :D

 
At 10/16/2008 5:49 PM, Blogger Liana Brooks said...

Why not call and read it over the phone to him?

Or isn't that kosher?

 
At 10/16/2008 5:58 PM, Blogger Worldbuilder Robin said...

Canada. Quebec, Canada.

(I was going to say "planet Earth, " but I figured you wanted something a little more specific...)

 
At 10/16/2008 6:18 PM, Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

my parents had my dad's assistant open my call and then fax it to me. That way I got to see it first and call them with the news.

I recommend it.

 
At 10/16/2008 7:29 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

My oldest went to exotic Pocatello, Idaho. Never has a new missionary been less excited over a call. Two years later he kept extending and extending -- I swear he'd have never come home at all if the mission president hadn't finally tied him up and thrown him on an airplane.

Similarly, I expect the two young men from Utah who came all the way to AZ to baptize me had hoped for calls to more exciting -- or at least cooler - climes. Thank goodness they came here! I will bless Elders Adams & Montgomery's names through all eternity.

I'm optimistically predicting a call to the Arizona Tempe Mission!

 
At 10/16/2008 9:14 PM, Blogger Karlene said...

Russia.

I was going to suggest reading it over the phone, but I really like the fax idea. I have a fax and you could come over and use it.

 
At 10/16/2008 9:33 PM, Blogger Lucy Eliza said...

Racife, Brazil! That's where my brother is.

 
At 10/16/2008 10:27 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Columbus, Ohio

 
At 10/16/2008 11:59 PM, Blogger Stephanie Humphreys said...

Canada Calgary Mission. Maybe he would end up in our stake and we could feed him once in awhile.

 
At 10/17/2008 4:39 AM, Blogger Nancy Campbell Allen said...

I just bought your book so I'll excuse myself from the contest, but I say Madagascar.

Seriously! My husband's nephew is in the MTC right now and headed for Madagascar in a few weeks.

 
At 10/17/2008 10:05 AM, Blogger Cheri J. Crane said...

Edmonton, Canada. =) My youngest son has about 6 months left there on his mission. But who's counting . . . ;)

 
At 10/18/2008 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our daughter was at BYU and had them send it to her Provo address. Not fair! She did call us--after she'd called everyone else she knew.

We have had a good number of missionaries go to Spanish speaking California missions or Brazil. Can I take Anaheim and Arcadia? Maybe thats just for New Englanders though.

Marlene Austin

 
At 10/18/2008 3:40 PM, Blogger christina pettit said...

New Zealand
My Mom Went there when it was just two missions, so you pick.

 
At 10/18/2008 9:04 PM, Blogger Marta O. Smith said...

Has he opened it yet? I'm guessing Rome, Italy.

 
At 10/19/2008 12:28 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Anna, my husband went to Texas Houston, too!

And Cheri, Edmonton is awesome. I miss being there sometimes. :-)

Thank you everyone for your comments and guesses! It is much appreciated and a great distraction.

 
At 10/19/2008 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess Orlando Florida...

Ly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home