Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Friday, October 17, 2008

Whoppers & Time Travel -- Guest Blog by Pat Taylor

Isn't it interesting what things trigger certain memories?

For instance, there is a lady where I work who always has a well stocked candy jar at her desk, so that when anyone is lagging on the job and needs that extra little burst of energy that only a little sugar rush can give, it's always there to help us finish out the day. (I found out another reason why she does this when I had the opportunity to substitute at her desk a little bit - it gets really lonely in there, and that candy lures people in so there's always someone to talk to!)

Anyway, I digress - the other day, when I "visited" the candy jar, there were some Whoppers in it (not the usual fare) so, not caring what the fix was - just needing one, I bit into them, and was immediately transported back to junior high. I used to "forge" notes from my parents so I could leave campus at lunch time and spend all my lunch money at the little candy store on the corner. (So sorry to have to shock and disillusion you this way, don't worry - I was caught, punished, and turned away from my life of crime!)

But that's not the point - the point is how this little piece of candy had the power to bring back a certain moment in time with such complete clarity! It reminded me of one of those "portkeys" from Harry Potter - where all you have to do is touch it, and you go soaring off to another time and place...Even now the mere smell of "dotted swiss" fabric always reminds me of Easter, and my mom spending the whole night sewing fluffy little dresses to surprise me and my sisters. A whiff of chlorine from the pool still makes my stomach lurch just like it did when I took those horrific swimming lessons at age 12. There are certain songs that come on the radio, that take me back to those good old days of high school, and "dragging main" with that first boyfriend.

"Time travel" is not only possible, it happens randomly every day - you just have to stumble across the right "portal."

Isn't that the truth? For me, Whoppers just scream Halloween! Pat Taylor is a frequent visitor to the Frog Blog, an avid reader, and is currently working on her first novel, a romantic suspense. Stay tuned. On Halloween I'm going to share her research into haunted lighthouses. Thanks, Pat! You're the best!


5 Comments:

At 10/17/2008 11:28 AM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

So true. During my recent trip to Finland (where I lived for 3 years as a preteen), I had this constantly. The slightest smell or sound or taste would transport me back to a specific moment when I was 11 or 12 doing such-and-such. Talk about time-travel.

 
At 10/17/2008 11:32 AM, Blogger Jennie said...

I read somewhere that smell is our closest link to memory. I think that may be true. If so then that is why lilacs, baking bread, and baby lotion always bring a smile to my face while the stench of coffee activates an old morning sickness reflex from long ago days when I walked into the office staff room and lost my breakfast every morning.

 
At 10/17/2008 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always seem to “time adjust” my memories with music. Unexpectedly catching Dream Weaver on the radio immediately transports me back to Ruidoso, New Mexico where I worked at a Tasty Freeze. After closing, we’d collect all of our quarters and deposit them into the juke box and have the asst. manager turn up the volume. If I remember correctly, back then a quarter got us three songs, so while we cleaned up we jammed out to Fleetwood Mac, Wild Cherry, Rod Steward and of course, Reo Speedwagon.

I love those little audio surprises. They are good memories for me.

Deb

 
At 10/17/2008 6:44 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

Yeah, Deb, music does that for me, too. Certain songs invoke the past. Some remind me of past girlfriends ("True by Spandau Ballet"), some make me think (of all things) video games I played in my youth - like Yes's 90125 takes me back to Ultima IV. (Apologies for extreme geekiness.)

 
At 10/22/2008 12:22 AM, Blogger Julie Wright said...

This is 100% true! I have these moments where I catch a whiff of a scent and get pulled back to moments stored deep in my grey matter's file system.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home