Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Bowl Contest Finals!

by Robison Wells

So, when I started this dang thing, it was with the understanding that I was going to win. I'm very disappointed in all of you for taking advantage of me in my time of overconfident weakness. For shame.

Stephanie wins a book, and got lots and lots of her games correct. FHL and Corfield also win books. I hope they realize that I've never liked either of them.

Anyway, if you're one of those three people, let me know what book you want and where to send it. You can either leave your info in the comments, or email it directly to me.

I'm going to miss college football. Pro football doesn't have the same heart, and they're too good for most of the great trick plays to work--when was the last time you saw a pro team run the option?

Besides, it's been a bad couple of years for me in football, and it was good to have a winning season again. Despite being a U of U grad, I've always been a BYU football fan--and they've stunk for five years. Additionally, I've been a Wake Forest fan for fifteen years, and they finally have a program worth rooting for.

One question a lot of people asked me this year, when they'd say "Where did Wake Forest come from? Who's ever heard of them?" and I'd reply "Who's ever heard of you, jerkface!? Why don't you shut up!?" and they'd say "Wait... you like Wake Forest? Why?" and I'd say "Because they're awesome, so shut up!" and they'd be all like "Woah, dude, calm down" and I'd be like "Why don't you calm down!? Are you too stupid!?" and I'd wish my keyboard had an interrobang.

So anyway, here's the reason I've always liked Wake Forest: because their mascot is the Demon Deacons. That's seriously cool. One day, back in high school, I was watching a game and said "Demon Deacons!? I'll root for them!" and the rest was losing-season history.

I've always like the Packers because my Grandpa had a Packers hat. He wasn't even a Packers fan, but he wore the hat, and I latched onto the team.

I've always liked the Steelers because back on my mission I had an investigator who used to give us regular Steelers updates.

My favorite NBA team is the New York Knicks, who haven't won a game since 1972. I've liked them ever since Patrick Ewing said, during the strike, "Basketball players need more money because we spend more money."

So, none of those reasons are really any good, but they've inspired staunch devotion. It got me to wonder: does anyone have a good reason for liking their teams? Why do we like who we like?

In the comments, post your favorite teams (of whatever sport) and explain why you started liking them. Maybe you're all boring and you like teams because you attended their schools or lived in their cities, but maybe you're like me and just really dig the Demon Deacons.

In related news: I hate baseball, because it's lame and boring, and the season lasts something like fourteen months, and holy crap I hate it.


10 Comments:

At 1/09/2007 5:45 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Standings:
Rob: 6-4
FHL: 7-3
Stephanie: 8-2
Kerry: 4-6
Corfield: 7-3
Dewd is 4-6
Amy 5-5

 
At 1/09/2007 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I started fourth grade I got a Seattle Seahawks notebook from the dollar store (or whatever it was called back then) and I've been a fan ever since. Note that when I say "fan" what I rellay mean is that hearing that they have won a game inspires happiness rather than casual apathy. There are many reasons I don't care about sports, but that fourth grade notebook has done the most to overcome them of any other force in my life.

 
At 1/09/2007 6:47 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Let me just say that I am thrilled, thrilled and thrilled to have won a book in your football bowl with my brilliant strategy of picking all the teams listed first as winners.

My favorite sports team is, um, BYU, because I went to BYU. That's favorite in the sense of I never actually see any games or follow any of their stats but, well, they are my alma mater.

I want The Counterfeit. I'll e-mail you with the signing and mailing info.

Woohoo!

 
At 1/09/2007 8:01 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

If baseball season DID last fourteen months, it wouldn't be long enough. And it's called "the thinking man's sport" for a reason, Rob. I think you just proved that one.

I root for the Diamondbacks because they're the hometown team, but I grew up watching the Dodgers and Padres. Later I lived blocks from the Cub's spring training facility in Mesa in the grand old days of Mark Grace, Sammy Sosa and Greg Maddux -- the first time around. So . . . my favorite teams are those named above plus anybody who beats the Giants and/or Yankees. As for other sports, never watch them. Ever.

 
At 1/09/2007 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a half-hearted BYU or Utah fan simply because the men in my family are easier to live with when either team wins. When they play each other, I just read a book and pretend I don't know what is going on. I'm a real Jazz fan though. I've always liked basketball since I played it myself in high school and the Jazz are the home team. When I was on the Salt Palace Board I got to know all the players, shared a reserved parking space with Mark Eaton, and Karl Malone was really kind to my brother when my nephew, who was a big Jazz fan, was killed. Besides I can identify with Kirilenko's hair style.

 
At 1/09/2007 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Red Sox, Patriots and Celtics fan by marriage.

 
At 1/10/2007 10:01 AM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Fellfrosh, in elementary school I used to have a Pittsburgh Pirates pen, and it was just about the only time I ever cared about baseball.

Kerry, the only reason that baseball is a thinking sport is because nothing at all ever happens and you can either think about something else or go to sleep.
My real reason for disliking baseball is this: the season is so long, and they play SO MANY FREAKING GAMES that no individual games mean anything. In football, every single game is vital, because there aren't very many of them. In baseball, you could lose fifteen in a row and still be just fine (assuming you started winning again). It's hard for me to get emotionally invested in a game that doesn't matter. (However, for the very same reason, I thoroughly enjoy the MLB playoffs. The games matter there.)

Jennie, I like you even more now. (If such a thing was possible!)

 
At 1/10/2007 12:20 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Which only proves, Rob, that you don't know baseball. Not only does every game matter, every at-bat and pitch matters! While the old adage "Baseball is six minutes of action crammed into two hours of game time" is probably true, there are all kinds of things going on down there on the field every minute. (Besides spitting, I mean. Had to beat you to that one.) I'm going to send you a book by George Will -- or else that physicist whose name escapes me. You're a smart guy, Rob. You could "get" baseball; I know you could. (Well, except for the infield fly rule. That's probably beyond you.)

 
At 1/10/2007 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I have to admit that before being in this contest I really hated football but after watching games so I could see if my teams won I decided it wasn't that bad. Of course I've been a Boise State fan since moving to Boise.

But I'm originally a Californian so I love baseball! (Go Angels! Stomp the Yankees!) When you come from a state with five major league baseball team how can you not like the sport? Rob, you just don't like it because Utah doesn't have major league team (I guess I can't talk. Idaho doesn't either)!

 
At 1/12/2007 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a U fan and I cheer when BYU loses. Mostly because I lived in BYU housing and did NOT attend BYU. I got sick of church being a contstant sermon on BYU and how blessed we were to be there, blah, blah, blah. Those sermons always bugged me since half the ward members didn't attend BYU. It was also fun to make my boyfriend of the time mad when I cheered against his team. He was one of those people that are really funny when they're mad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home