Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, January 04, 2007

It Can Only Go Up From Here

by Julie Coulter Bellon

I was told once that you should always kiss someone you love on New Year's Eve, because your actions will foretell what kind of year you're going to have. Well, if my actions this past New Year's Eve foretell the kind of year 2007 is going to be for me, I'm in trouble.

The night started off really well actually. Our family has a tradition to have a family party where we play games all night and eat really good food and snacks like shrimp and cocktail sauce, chips and dips, root beer floats, and cheese and crackers. We play games like Speed Scrabble (which is my favorite game on earth), Clue, Monopoly, Pass the Pigs, and all the classics. When it gets to near midnight, we watch the ball drop and toast each other in my finest crystal with sparkling cider. And I always kiss the one I love.

This year, however, things were going fine until about 11:40 p.m. My son had been partaking of all the goodies like the rest of us, when all of the sudden his tummy started to hurt. Yep, you guessed it. He ran for the stairs, trying to make it to our upstairs bathroom, but unfortunately he was vomiting the entire way, leaving no doubt as to where he'd been or what he'd eaten that evening.

So while my husband and I are starting to clean up our son, the stairs, the hall, and the bathroom, my daughter discovers that our cat has been accidentally locked in her room for who knows how long and has had an "accident."

So instead of kissing the one I loved and toasting with sparkling cider, we were cleaning up vomit and cat urine. If that foretells the year I'm going to have, I'm truly frightened.

On a high note, however, I'm knee deep in rewrites of my next novel and really loving the direction the story is going in. I love rewriting because the skeleton is already there, I'm just re-shaping or adding flesh to the story. My problem is knowing when to stop. I could edit a story to death, that's for sure. But I love the flow of rewrites and the shaping of a story. There's just something about getting it right that makes me feel good. And after the New Year's I've had, I need something to make me feel good.

*Raising my good crystal to all of my Six LDS Writers and a Frog blog friends.*

Happy New Year! May it only get better from here . . .


4 Comments:

At 1/05/2007 3:40 PM, Blogger Cheri J. Crane said...

I was lucky enough to get a sneak peek at "Ghost of a Chance," and I predict it will sell like hotcakes. It's a wonderful book written by a talented author. Plan to pick up a copy at one of her signings. You'll love it, and enjoy meeting her in person.

 
At 1/05/2007 3:48 PM, Blogger Cheri J. Crane said...

Julie, I loved your blog. I'm sorry I tacked on the wrong comment. =)It looks like we're both off to a good start this new year. =D Hang in there.

 
At 1/05/2007 11:18 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

You know, Cheri, it's okay. I'm constantly in awe of Kerry and her amazing talent and I am thrilled to get any of her crumbs thrown my way.

 
At 1/10/2007 8:45 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

Julie, You had be laughing my head off. I'll cross my fingers and throw salt over my shoulder in hopes that your year will be much better than vomit and cat urine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home