Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, January 07, 2010

The Cover Out of Darkness

by Julie Coulter Bellon

A couple of weeks ago I blogged about the cover for my new book, Dangerous Connections, that I’d had described to me over the phone. I was nervous about it because it is a spy novel, set in Paris, and I was told that the cover design team had chosen bubbles. I imagined Lawrence Welk-like bubbles, or bubbly bath bubbles with a token poison sign watermarked into it. The picture in my head just didn’t seem to go with my story at all. (And Rob's idea for my cover that he posted yesterday was about what I was thinking, except funnier, and I hadn't imagined the creepy guy on the front. Who is that guy, anyway? *shudder*)

But I have good news! I saw the cover and I am happy to throw myself at the feet of the cover design team and thank them. I should have trusted them. I shouldn't have imagined the worst because I got something amazing. I really like it. I think they did a great job with colors and the theme. So, on that note, here is the cover for my newest release, due out in March.




TA-DA! What do you think? I posted it on my website and here are some of the comments I’ve gotten so far:

That looks like an evil concoction brewing.

Those bubbles look menacing.

Awesome cover!

It looks very bubbly.

Love it, can’t wait to read it.

I would totally pick that up in the store.

Why do you have handcuffs on it?

Is that a mutated swastika on it? Does a drunken Nazi appear in your novel?

It looks too similar to Gregg Luke’s book cover Altered State.

It looks intriguing and weird. More weird, I think.

Fascinating. Can’t wait to read it.

Why do you have a Chinese Ninja throwing star on your cover? Is it set in China?

I love those colors. Great job on the cover!

So as you can see, it’s garnered a lot of interesting comments already! The biohazard sign on the front seems to have confused some people into thinking it is something else. But maybe that heightens the mystery and will make them want to pick it up. Or maybe they’ll think it’s Gregg Luke’s book and pick it up, read the backliner, and still want to read it. I hope so. Anyways, I am really excited for March to come so you can read the story that goes along with the cover. And if anyone from the design team reads this blog, thank you, thank you, thank you. You did a great job.


7 Comments:

At 1/07/2010 12:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Love the cover! Covenant's design team is awesome. It looks very intriguing and very creepy.

 
At 1/07/2010 7:07 PM, Blogger Bobdad said...

I agree -not sure after your verbal description but now after your cover has seen the light of day-now can't wait to read the book- gotta love the "design" team!

 
At 1/07/2010 8:08 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Thanks, Stephanie and Green Metis! Can't wait to hear what you think of the book.

 
At 1/08/2010 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's quite compelling. I loved the biohazard mixing with the "bubbles" and it has a very dangerous feel.

 
At 1/08/2010 1:21 AM, Blogger Stephanie Humphreys said...

I was excited to read your book anyway, but the cover really has me intrigued now. It looks great!

 
At 1/08/2010 4:42 PM, Blogger UTMomof4 said...

Looks very interesting. Looks good.

 
At 1/09/2010 9:30 AM, Blogger Karlene said...

It is reminiscent of Gregg Luke. But I like it. A lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home