Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Another Whitney Blog!

by Stephanie Black

Since just about everyone on the LDS writing planet has already blogged about the Whitney Awards—except for Rob, who is having flashbacks to the Cold War (understandable after all the stress in his life)—it feels a little redundant to blog about it again today. But I’m going to do it anyway. I’m just so dang excited about everything Whitney-ish! Besides, it’s either the Whitneys-as-blog-topic or a recap of our family trip to the zoo. Here’s a picture of giraffes:



Okay, I’ll do the Whitneys instead. Unfortunately, I wasn’t at the Whitney Awards gala. I confess that sometimes I get evilly jealous of authors who live in Utah and can attend all kinds of fun author events without the need for air travel or rental cars. Sniff. The party is in Utah and here I am in California (I’ll bet Sariah doesn’t feel sorry for me—she’s farther away than I am). But then again, March in Utah can involve snow and ice and meanwhile, I can wear sunglasses and watch my son play baseball. Not that we have it easy here. People do suffer from the cold. (“Dude, my toes are hecka frozen.” “Dude, why did you wear your flip-flops to the Christmas party?”).

So, anyway. A huge congratulations to all the Whitney winners! And while we’re at it, a huge congratulations to all the Whitney finalists (go, Sariah!). I feel honored to have been part of the first Whitney Committee, led by the fearless and frighteningly brilliant Robison Wells. The committee was filled with super-talented and super-knowledgeable people and frankly, I wasn’t quite worthy of them. They accomplished wonders while I mainly looked dazed and read a bunch of books.

This year is going to be a big switch for me. Instead of being behind-the-scenes on the committee, I’m going to be chewing my fingernails and wondering if my new book will get anywhere near the Whitney ballot. The competition in suspense fiction is going to be fierce this year. But even if the only person who ever nominates my book is my sister, I’m planning to attend the LDStorymakers’ Conference and Whitney gala next year. Looking at the pictures and hearing the reports from this year’s events makes me want to BE there! So if you’re planning to attend next year, I can’t wait to meet you!

And whenever you read a great 2008 novel by an LDS author, consider nominating it for a Whitney. You can nominate as many books as you want (but can’t nominate a book more than once per category). The Whitney website is currently accepting nominations and will continue to accept them through December 31st. The Whitneys are off to a fantastic start, and it’s going to take a lot of reader excitement and participation to keep up that momentum (which reminds me--THANK YOU to all you readers who nominated books last year and helped give the Whitneys a great launch).


4 Comments:

At 3/27/2008 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have nominated your book for next year so you just need 4 other people. It shouldn't be hard--the book is major suspense. Even if it doesn't have Zero lurking in the bushes.

 
At 3/27/2008 1:38 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Thanks, mean aunt! Woohoo!

 
At 3/27/2008 5:26 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

Can't wait to see you at next year's event! Now I need to pick up your book.

 
At 3/27/2008 9:56 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Thanks, Annette! I'm already excited for next year. And congratulations on a great conference this year. From what I've heard, it was fabulous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home