Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Friday, July 27, 2007

Family Matters

by Kerry Blair

As probably nobody noticed, earlier this summer I ran guest blogs for several Fridays in a row. During much of that time I was sitting in hospital waiting rooms while my daughter was poked, prodded, scanned and eventually operated upon. To protect her privacy, Stephanie, who kindly agreed to make excuses for me here there and everywhere, always explained that I was busy with "family matters." I don't know what it is with my family that our "matters" always seem to pop on on Fridays, but it's happened again. (And this time I even forgot to bring along a guest blog!)

This morning I am sitting at my sister-in-law's computer in Mesa. She and my brother are at the hospital with my niece while she undergoes surgery. Meanwhile, I have the happy assignment of playing with my other niece and nephew in their absence.

This is Megan. She is snuggled on my lap, smelling of strawberries and bubble bath and sleepiness. You are...well, I don't know where you are, but really, are you half that cute? Just look at that face. Now tell me, if you had the choice of playing Chutes and Ladders with Megan or writing a blog, which would you choose? That's what I thought! (I've called the red marker!)

Have a wonderful weekend, everybody! Enjoy your families. After all, what else really matters?


6 Comments:

At 7/27/2007 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your neice has a fast and complete recover.

And of course you are right about families. When I started my novel I promised myself that I would never put writing before their needs--those being defined by me not them, of course--and they may not agree, but I think I've done a good job with that. Maybe that's why it took fifteen years to get the book done, but no guilt, and no regrets! Kerry, besides being a great writer and person, you're a great example!

 
At 7/27/2007 3:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hope your daughter recovers quickly. And I hope you are feeling well as well.

Your niece is adorable. I get my nephews and nieces next Tuesday until Sunday. I'm so excited. Yes, I'm writing all my blogs now so that I just hit "Submit Post" and call it good.

 
At 7/27/2007 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kerry, I'm babysitting too this weekend, though my charge isn't as cute as yours. I'm keeping Auggie, my daughter-in-law's black lab, while she and my son take a little trip. Mostly, I'm ignoring him while I frantically try to go over the galleys for Topaz. By the way, thanks for the frog pack filled with delightful treasures. I'll have to hide them or my grandkids will claim them. I received Hil's note too and promptly put it with my collection of notes from people I treasure.

 
At 7/27/2007 4:01 PM, Blogger Melanie Goldmund said...

What a cute picture! I'd want to play with her, too. :-)

I hope your niece has a speedy and perfect recovery.

 
At 7/28/2007 9:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is an fun blog site. Glad I found it again. Kerry, you even find a humorous side to "family matters." I bet your "Ghost of a Chance" book is a must-read.

 
At 7/28/2007 4:23 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Thanks so much for the kind comments -- and the thoughts and prayers. My niece is home and doing very well, thank you.

My daughter, too, has recovered miraculously, thanks in large part to the hundreds of prayers offered in her behalf. (Thank you, thank you!) Someday I'll have to blog about that whole experience. Hil had a 27-lb ovarian cyst removed. It was so large and so fast-growing (and she is so small) that she literally made medical history. (Caution: I have pictures!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home