Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

If Rob Can Get Away With It . . .

by Stephanie Black

Because of my intense admiration for Rob Wells, I feel unable to post a real blog this week if he has chosen not to do so. It just feels so . . . wrong.

Our Arizona vacation was a blast, and we finished reading Harry Potter 7 out loud together before we had to head home. Harry Potter is fun no matter how you read it, but we found that reading it together added to our fun, as we laughed, shrieked and gasped our way through the book. Plus it allowed for enjoyable discussion between reading sessions. We were so into the book that when the doorbell rang, we all shrieked in unison--not because it scared us, but because we were acutely dismayed at the prospect of being interrupted (apologies to the UPS man). What a great book, and I loved how J.K. Rowling ended it. It was a marvelous wrap-up to the series.

I've now decided that what I want for my birthday is my own set of Harry Potter books. Yes, we have the books, but I want my own beautiful set that my children are forbidden to touch, a set that will endure until I'm a little old lady. No torn covers, lost covers, or books dropped behind the bed. The big question is: which version do I want? The American version or the English version with the adult covers? In the U.K., they publish both an adult and a children's version of the covers.

And now, I'm off to unpack, clean up and do the girls' camp preparation I've been putting off.


13 Comments:

At 7/25/2007 8:47 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

The adult version, definitely. The youth one is cheesy and picked a really dumb scene to portray. The one with the locket is mucho cool!

Wish they did 2 versions in the US!

 
At 7/25/2007 9:59 PM, Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

Both and remember you have to buy me a Christmas present this year, so you could give one set to me.

 
At 7/25/2007 10:04 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

FYI, I noticed on the Walmart website that in September all seven books will be released in a box set for about $108.

 
At 7/25/2007 10:19 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

I set my candle of laziness on a hill, and let my light so shine!

Welcome home. And as for Harry Potter, didn't you just hate how Ron died? Wow.

 
At 7/25/2007 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Rob doing fake spoilers?

 
At 7/25/2007 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob only ever tells the truth.

 
At 7/26/2007 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Rob, Ron's death just devastated me, but I was glad to see that Hermione and Snape got together in the end. *happy sigh*

Stephanie, did you get my e-mail?

Melanie Goldmund

 
At 7/26/2007 1:46 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Melanie, yes, I got your e-mail. Sorry I've been so slow getting back to you! I shall repent.

The Hermione-Snape thing was touching, but I thought the hand-holding at the Pampered Magic Chef party was over the top.

 
At 7/26/2007 11:04 AM, Blogger Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen said...

AAAAA! I guess I shouldn't have given in to the temptation to read these comments to your great blog! I didn't know Ron died! I'm still DYING to read the book as soon as my kids finish (one down, two to go). And Snape and Hermione? Is that true? I'd suspected Snape was really a good guy, but . . .
Well, I guess I'll have to read it all for myself, but in the meantime, I better keep my eyes and ears shut.

 
At 7/26/2007 12:42 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm so glad I finished the book before reading this blog.

 
At 7/26/2007 1:27 PM, Blogger Karlene said...

Hmmm, I think the part that shocked me most was Ginny and Neville getting married at the end. I honestly never pictured them as a couple.

Oh, and then when Lupin bit Harry and he turned into a werewolf on top of being a wizard. But since it was his wolf senses that allowed Harry to overcome Voldemort in the end, I guess it's okay, right? Although I think Cho will get tired of it after awhile...

 
At 7/26/2007 2:38 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Hey everyone, please read to the most recent post on the blog. It will explain a few things.

 
At 7/26/2007 2:40 PM, Blogger C. L. Hanson said...

Wow, the adult version is cool!!! I had no idea that even existed.

We got the UK version at our house because that's what they sell in France, but my husband likes the American edition, so we end up getting a double colection with one of each.

Now about the text... ;^)

I thought this last one was fantastic!!! Some of the more recent ones seemed a little rambling -- like they could use a tad of editing -- which is why I wasn't that caught up in the enthusiasm of the final book. But I felt like she did a good job of bringing all of the elements together to wrap it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home