Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Worth a Thousand Words . . . Or Something Like That

by Stephanie Black

This photo of a very wise and tech-savvy owl represents my new triumph: I posted a picture to a blog. This is a big deal for me. I am extremely technologically inept. I've been blogging for over a year and last night was the first time I ever posted a picture to a blog. I posted a little book review with a graphic of the book cover. I asked people for help on how to post graphics (thanks, Josi, Jennifer, Heather and anyone else who's offered help!) but still struggled because I have a Mac with only one mouse button which doesn't seem to work the same way as anyone else's machine. But my husband was able to help me over that final hurdle and voila, a picture!

I realize no one is impressed, but I'm impressed because I'm the kind of person who has to ask my children how to use the remote control. I don't suppose my tech-deficiencies are due so much to innate doofus-hood as to basically a lack of curiosity. Or maybe laziness. Yep, probably laziness. I joined a blog, so I learned how to post a blog, but I didn't bother to learn to post a picture because I could get by without that bit of knowledge at the moment. But now I need to know how to do this, so I'm stretching my brain.

Here's another picture. These pictures are from a family trip to the San Francisco Zoo. My two-year-old daughter thinks zoos are the coolest places on the planet. She prays about going to the zoo. She also loves libraries. Our library has a big wooden alligator-shaped bin filled with board books. Book heaven!

Here's my last zoo picture for the day--giraffes.

I still can't figure out how to change the little picture on my Blogger profile. I tried to follow the Blogger help instructions, but something went wrong. Well, the Wise Tech-Owl says, "One step at a time."

I gotta go feed the sourdough pet. I took a picture of it so I could post it, but now I can't find where the picture downloaded. Sigh. Forget learning new things; I'm just going to hire my teenagers to do stuff like this for me.


11 Comments:

At 6/27/2007 2:28 PM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

Congratulations, Stephanie!! You'll find a whole new world has opened, now that you can do pictures. :)

 
At 6/27/2007 3:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Thanks, Tristi! Now if I could just figure out what became of the pictures I downloaded. Why didn't they go into the same location as my other pictures? I am boggled.

 
At 6/27/2007 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your newfound picture-posting abilities! And on coining the most interesting word "doofus-hood." :-)

What a nice owl! I think I've been reading too much Harry Potter fanfiction, though, because I immediately started evaluating her possible letter-carrying abilities. *whacks self*

Melanie Goldmund

 
At 6/27/2007 4:42 PM, Blogger Josi said...

Way to go steph, and you've surpassed me because I can't figure out how to put multiple photos on a blog--they always line up along the top when I try.

did your hubby fix your mouse then? My brother walked me through it when I got my mac--go into system preferences--mouse & keyboard and it will show you the 'quadrants' of your mouse. you can set the right side as a secondary button. Makes all the difference in the world.

And we're zoo freaks here as well, my daughter gets to volunteer this summer and is in HEAVEN!

 
At 6/27/2007 4:48 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Glad you are able to post pictures. Here in Nebraska (Omaha) we have the Henry Doorly Zoo which you can visit in the winter because they have so many covered exhibits - It is great.

 
At 6/27/2007 5:13 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Josi, no we didn't fix the mouse! I didn't know we could! Thanks for the info.

I don't know the "right" way to post multiple pictures, but how I did it was just by cutting and pasting. I'd insert the new picture, the computer gibberish for the picture file would appear at the top of the blog and I'd cut and paste it to where I wanted it in the blog.

How fun to go to the zoo in winter, Jennifer!

Melanie, thanks for the owl compliment! It's my favorite animal shot from the zoo trip. If I'd thought of Harry Potter, I would have liked the picture even more. Hmm, I think I want to re-read Harry Potter 6 before July 21st.

 
At 6/27/2007 5:39 PM, Blogger Michele Holmes said...

Stephanie,
We are kindred spirits. The whole blog, picture, technology thing is mostly beyond me. Thank heavens for kind people like Josi who help us along.

 
At 6/27/2007 7:51 PM, Blogger Rebecca Talley said...

I completely understand computer dorkdom. My kids all know how to do more things on the computer than I do (even some of my youngest kids). I have no idea how to get a photo on a post so you're light years ahead of me.

I love your photos. We don't live anywhere near a zoo, but when we travel and have the chance, we go.

My husband traveled to South Africa not long ago and stayed in a game preserve. He got to see giraffes, elephants, lions, zebras, monkeys, etc., all in their natural habitat. Pretty cool stuff.

 
At 6/27/2007 8:45 PM, Blogger Marsha Ward said...

Cool pictures, Stephanie. I'm glad you figured out how to add them. I only just put a photo in a post this morning, so posting multiple photos is ahead of me.

I did find out that a photo from another website would post large and grainy--even when the photo size specified was 'small,' but a photo grabbed from my computer came out at the right size. Go figure!

Marsha Ward
Writer in the Pines

 
At 6/28/2007 1:07 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Thanks to everyone! Whew, I'm glad I'm not alone in struggling to keep up with technology.

 
At 6/28/2007 1:49 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

I have a personal weapon for all things technology: my genius techno-husband. I just wait until he's home from work, and go, "HONEEEEEEEY! Come fix it!!!!!!"

Works every time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home