Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Motivation is a Marvelous Thing

by Stephanie Black

In days of yore, I was a skinny thing who could eat an entire buffalo at one sitting and not gain an ounce. Woe betide the fool who stood between me and the buffet table. Sadly, with age came a slowing of the metabolism—or maybe a slowing of everything except the movement of fork to mouth, and like a generous portion of the rest of the population, I’d really like to lose some weight. And when I say lose, I mean lose, as in just turn around and it’s gone and where did I put that flab, I just had it yesterday and isn’t that the craziest thing. I have a hard time with the concept that I actually need to eat less and exercise more if I want to take up less space on the benches of life. I did do well at exercising for a while, but then I started slacking off, and the holidays came, and . . .

But last week I got contacted by a former high school classmate asking if I knew anything about a class reunion. Twenty years, folks. I realize this is a freaky concept to young’uns like Rob, but yes, it’s been twenty years since I graduated from high school.

In the wake of that classmate e-mail, I got motivated. What is it about facing people you last saw when you were seventeen to make you want to look your best? Hey, I'll take whatever motivation I can get. This week I actually climbed back on the exercise machine. Woohoo.

Speaking of looking my best, it took my husband years to convince me that my hair really looks better without a permanent. When I look at my old yearbooks, I see why it took me so long to accept the concept that Lilt and I weren’t a match made in heaven. I went to high school in the eighties when curly hair was de rigueur. With my stick-straight hair, the only path to big hair and fluffy bangs was in a box of chemicals. But I imagine permanents have changed a lot since then. Maybe I should try one . . . hmm . . .

High school was a ton of fun and I really, really want to go to my reunion, but truth be told, I wouldn’t want to be a teenager again for all the gold in Fort Knox. I’ll take the fast metabolism, but other than that, I like being older. Notice I didn’t say “mature.” I haven’t actually tried that one yet.


14 Comments:

At 1/24/2007 4:12 PM, Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

We all look better without bad perms.

 
At 1/24/2007 5:34 PM, Blogger G. Parker said...

Well...some of us would rather have the curly hair than the stick straight, you know??? But I have to say, I faced the 20 year reunion 7 years ago, and I didn't go...my brother never let me hear the end of it...sigh. Good luck!!!

 
At 1/24/2007 6:17 PM, Blogger Keith N Fisher said...

My class had our 30 year reunion last year. I didn't go. I went to the ten year one, I was very disapointed. It was meant to be an ego boost for the aging "In" crowd.

I didnt go to the twenty year reunion because someone had arranged it in Park city and it would have cost more than if we took a vacation to hawaii (baring the air fare) As it was ten years before, someone was trying to impress someone.

Have fun at your reunion, ignore the posturing idiots, find a table with your current friends, and enjoy yourself. Of course being a successful writer, your likely to be a hero.

 
At 1/25/2007 12:31 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Keith, I definitely won't be a hero, but you made my day just by suggesting it!

FHL, you're so right about the pride thing, LOL!

And perms can be a wonderful thing. I still like my big curly hair in my wedding photos. I don't like my permed hair when I got it cut too short and ended up with Triangle Hair.

 
At 1/25/2007 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie, class reunions aren't all they're cracked up to be. I went to mine (I won't give it a number) a few years ago and found some things hadn't changed. Our class officers got drunk and made fools of themselves just like back in high school and the snob crowd still were snobs and instead of boasting of their big dates they were counting number of marriages. The food was worse than what we used to get in the school cafeteria, but cost a lot more and the country club is a dump. The best part was sitting with my old boyfriend's wife and discovering I like her. Only one other person from my own old crowd was there and I enjoyed seeing him, but it was a reminder that asthma, cancer, and Vietnam haven't been kind to my friends. I don't plan to attend any more class reunions. Whoever said "you can't go back" (Kerry would know) was right.

 
At 1/25/2007 1:48 PM, Blogger mean aunt said...

Go! I just went to mine and it was so much fun. The people were still themselves--but fortunately I went to school with very nice people.

So it was great to see people I liked and the people I didn't I didn't worry about.

Rob is it true you are a WHS alum?

 
At 1/25/2007 2:01 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

I certainly am. Panther pride, and all that.

I graduated in '96. Stephanie graduated from there in what? '43?

Incidentally, this year was my ten year reunion, and I couldn't go--I was out of town. It would have been nice to go and show all those snobby rich kids how successful I am now... since I still live in an apartment and am up to my ears in debt. That'll show 'em!

 
At 1/25/2007 3:07 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

'43? Cute, Rob. But I'll forgive you because it just isn't nice to pick on someone as math-challenged as you obviously are. Anyone who can add knows I graduated in '44.

If there were a bunch of snobby rich kids there with you, the school sure has changed. Bummer.

 
At 1/25/2007 3:31 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

There actually weren't. It was a good school. I even married a fellow WHS grad.

 
At 1/25/2007 7:50 PM, Blogger mean aunt said...

Ahh, good old West High. Great people and with a bonus of being able to scare the pants off anyone from East or Skyline.

"Within these walls that surround us all there dwells a hallowed spirit"

What an odd song.

And Steph wouldn't that be '47 since you are having a reunion in '07.

 
At 1/26/2007 10:01 AM, Blogger Cheri J. Crane said...

I graduated in '79 from a tiny Idaho high school. There were approximately 43-45 of us in that graduating class. During our last reunion, we met near a river, consumed wonderful food, and sat around a campfire, roasting marshmallows as we talked about life. It was one of the best reunions we've ever had. For once, no one was showing off---it was humbling to stare at each other, wondering if the person we once knew was still in there. =) We've all changed a great deal through the years. The guys with wavy, thick hair are bald. Women who once waved pom-poms are now waving pictures of children and grandchildren. All of us have aged, gained weight, & earned grey hair and wrinkles. As we sat together acknowledging life adventures, there was a comaraderie that was rare. My husband commented on it later (he traditionally hates reunions)and he seemed quite impressed. Earlier class reunions weren't so hot, but that last one will hold a special place in most of our hearts.

Go and enjoy Stephanie. I hope you'll have the same experience. =)

 
At 1/26/2007 7:30 PM, Blogger Anna Maria Junus said...

A word about perms. When you first getting them they are too tight and look like a perm. You may end up looking like Orphan Annie or a reject from Soul Train.

A perm will then relax and look good for about two weeks.

And then it turns to frizz. Frizz was in in the eighties. It's not in now.

Better to color your hair. It will give you some body.

 
At 1/26/2007 8:26 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Cheri, what a wonderful reunion!

Anna, your description of perms was hilarious.

 
At 1/27/2007 11:04 PM, Blogger Josi said...

Just give me a spiral perm, a pick and a big ol' bottle of Aguanet and I can get my hair seven inches from my scalp--I was measured, a couple of times.

I can't wait to be called to mutual one day so I can do an 80's night--it will be so, like, totally rad!

Josi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home