Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Friday, January 19, 2007

True Confessions

By Kerry Blair

CONFESSION THE FIRST
I learned to walk on the beaches of Midway Island where my father was stationed in the Navy. My first words were gooey-burr which, interpreted, mean goony bird. Midway’s shores are the mating spot for nearly every albatross in the Western Hemisphere. These birds were my only childhood playmates and friends. (That explains a lot, doesn’t it?) To this day there’s nowhere I’d rather be than on a beach.

CONFESSION THE SECOND
I wanted to be a witch when I grew up – or maybe a writer – depending on whether I was watching Bewitched or reading Nancy Drew at the time. One bright summer day my minister pulled me out of Vacation Bible School to explain that there just weren’t any truly successful Methodist witches. I guess that’s why I became a writer.

CONFESSION THE THIRD
I was a teenage Trekkie. Not just a casual viewer like Stephanie, I was the captain of my own “starship” of a dozen or so people who were just as strange as I was. (See “goony birds” above.) I not only had the short dress and the long boots, but I wore them (in public!) to a Trek Con or two. At one of these events I nailed every question in a tri-state trivia event. Go ahead – ask me what the T in James T. Kirk stands for. If that’s too easy, ask me the name of the peddler who started all that trouble with tribbles. Take your best shot. I can’t remember my phone number, but I can’t seem to forget Spock’s favorite soup.

COOL THING THE FIRST
I joined the Church when I was nineteen. (While this is neither a secret nor a confession, few people seem to know it.) I took the first missionary discussion on a Monday and was baptized on the following Saturday. (This saved me the anxiety of stepping inside an LDS church for the first time as a nonmember.) I immediately stopped going to Sunday Trekkie events and began to boldly go to Relief Society instead. It’s been an almost thirty-year mission thus far.

CONFESSION THE FOURTH
I can’t think of a fifth thing. Frankly, I’m about as endlessly fascinating as turnips.

I tag Betsy Brannon Green, the ladies at ANWA Founder & Friends . . . and anonymous


7 Comments:

At 1/19/2007 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when you stopped going to Sunday trekkie events and began boldly going to Relief Society...did that qualify as an adventure where no man has gone before?

 
At 1/19/2007 2:28 PM, Blogger Chillygator said...

I was kind of hoping Rob was writing the "Five Things No One Knows About Kerry" blog. That would have been informative if not completely true.

Kerry, I wish all converts were like you (o: You're awesome.

 
At 1/19/2007 7:05 PM, Blogger Keith N Fisher said...

You can remember the guys name? wasn't it Harry Mudd? no that was the other scoundrel that caused all the trouble with the androids. I give up. I am also a trekie from way back only I believe they call us trekers these days. I must say I was disapointed with voyager though and I really dug Enterprize except when they started going to far with the sexual inuendo (is that spelled right?)
anyway My first story was a star trek episode back before I got serious about writing.

 
At 1/19/2007 10:32 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

I do have a picture of me in full Star Trek regalia. I'll send it to you, fhl. For about a million dollars, that is. Looking foward to seeing you next week!

Thanks so much to everyone who came to the debut party in West Jordan tonight. It was wonderful to see you -- worth every minute of the 11 1/2 hour trip. I expect to see the rest of you Utahns next week!

 
At 1/20/2007 9:32 AM, Blogger Cheri J. Crane said...

Kerry in full Star Trek regalia. That picture would indeed be worth a million dollars. =) Best of luck with the Utah signings. And you are going boldly, I might add. Utah is rather like a deep freeze at the moment.

 
At 1/21/2007 10:10 PM, Blogger Anna Maria Junus said...

So what does the T stand for?

You joined the church faster than I did! It took me 3 weeks, but that's only because the missionaries took so long to ask me.

 
At 1/24/2007 12:19 PM, Blogger Betsy said...

I finally finished my 'Five' list and anyone who's interested can see it on my website www.betsybrannongreen.net.
Thanks for asking me, Kerry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home