Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Queen of Vomit

By Sariah S. Wilson

In case you were wondering, yes, that is my official title these days. I think I earned it when I threw up in a neighbor’s driveway a couple of nights ago.

I can thank blessed genetics for making certain that my morning sickness will not go away until, at earliest, I’m five months along. So…one month and counting. Although that doesn’t necessarily always hold true - with my first I threw up the entire nine months and I remember dry heaving in the middle of my C-section. Fun times.

I’m not a person that particularly enjoys throwing up. By the time I’m done I’m usually shaking, crying and have a horrible taste in my mouth that never, ever goes away no matter what I do.

So I do what I can to make it slightly amusing. Drinking sugar-free cherry Kool-Aid certainly makes it more interesting. I’m the expert on what things taste the same coming up that they do going down, i.e., any type of sherbet ice cream. I’ve also had the chance to run some scientific experiments on what happens to certain types of cereals whilst in my stomach. Golden Grahams have a bitter taste. Lucky Charms turn black (no joke). Frosted Mini-Wheats explode. They get all over your shower curtain (do not ask me how I know this).

Sorry to have grossed you out. I’m pretty grossed out by it too. Although I guess it’s not as bad when it’s not happening to you - my two boys seem fascinated by it (the cats too, for some reason). I usually have an audience.

As you can imagine, I spend most of my time trying to avoid throwing up. It’s usually a futile battle, but hey, anything to get me out of doing housework, right? Unfortunately, it has also affected my writing. When someone asks me how my next book is coming along, I don’t have the heart to tell them that my only creative output these days is what my stomach rejects.

Last Sunday at church a sister shared that she was in the throes of morning sickness as well and not doing too good. She talked about her pregnancy being a mixed blessing and I wanted to smack her around. (I think this is mainly due to raging hormones. I promise I am not typically violent.)

I guess when you get on this side of the fertility fence, when you can’t have a baby whenever you feel like having one, it’s really hard to see people who can and who talk about it like it’s a drag. I understand that pregnancy can be really rough. I understand that adding another child to your home can be hard. But to me, it is one of the greatest blessings in the world and one that I could never take for granted or ever view negatively, no matter what I have to go through.

I told the Lord that I would suffer any sickness, take on any hardship of pregnancy that He cared to throw at me, that I wanted a baby that much. And it seems, in His infinite wisdom, He decided to take me up on my offer.

And I am totally okay with that. Believe it or not, when I am in the bathroom six seconds after I finished eating my lunch, I am thanking the Lord for this baby. I am thanking Him even for the sickness, because the morning sickness means the baby is healthy and thriving. It means this one will stay where so many others have left.

I am grateful for the vomit.

And on an unrelated and less icky note - today is our first check-in for our 21-day challenge. I’ve met my goal almost every day this week - yesterday I had to begin work on our taxes and it was just ugly and sucked up all of my time. So I’m resolving to get back on the wagon and meet my goal today.

How is everyone else doing? Let us know how you’re progressing!


5 Comments:

At 1/13/2007 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on the up-chucking phase of your pregnancy. Been there, done that, and have no regrets. My morning sickness was the nine month variety too, but all five of mine were worth it.
Now for the goal progress. I gave myself three. two of them, I'm right on, the third got a bit messed up while we were celebrating my Dad's 99th birthday Thursday.

 
At 1/14/2007 10:35 PM, Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

So sorry to hear about your vomiting. So happy about your baby.

And I can report that my family read at least 5 verses of scripture together every night this week. I'm so pleased. Thanks for the challenge.

 
At 1/15/2007 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be too hard on those who find pregnancy a mixed blessing. Sometimes "too much" fertility is as much a problem as not enough.

Everyone has different challenges in mortality. Other's problems may seem easier or trivial to us but they aren't ours. God makes sure we are all sufficiently tested. So don't worry that the sister in your ward isn't getting her fair share--she does they're just different than yours.

 
At 1/16/2007 8:11 PM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

Actually, I think I have a pretty good handle on "too much" fertility - I'm the oldest of nine. I know what that does to a family and what hardships there are. I also know that I wouldn't have traded any of my brothers or sisters for anything.

And much as I have tried to be rational or logical about this subject, I find that I simply can't be. I am too emotionally invested in it, and it is too important to me. I can't take the other point of view that you ask me to because the reality and pain of this situation is something I have to deal with on a daily basis.

I'm not too concerned with whether or not people are getting their "fair share" of trials. I was only sharing that it is frustrating to deal with women who treat pregnancy like a trial or take it for granted when I know many women who would go to hell and back to have even one baby (and often do).

 
At 1/17/2007 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And much as I have tried to be rational or logical about this subject, I find that I simply can't be. I am too emotionally invested in it, and it is too important to me. I can't take the other point of view that you ask me to because the reality and pain of this situation is something I have to deal with on a daily basis.
***

My point was that you don't know what this woman's life is really like. Pregnancy is not a mixed blessing for you, it is for her. She isn't you. She doesn't deserve to be smacked for it. You don't derserve to be smacked for not appreciating all your blessings.

I've made way too much of a throw away line in a blog. I apologize for that. But I honestly believe that my trials (including infertility problems) were meant for me and my job is to do my best and let others do theirs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home