Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

My Five Cents

by Stephanie Black

I always have trouble with these “introduce yourself” games. Maybe if I had Rob “The Kid” Wells’ experience in dealing with U.S. Marshals, it would be easier to come up with “Five Things Only My Lawyer Knows about Me.” But I’ll give it a try.

1—I studied Hebrew for a couple of years in college. I’ve forgotten most of it, of course, but I still remember the line from one of our practice dialogues (sorry; I’m to lazy to find an Internet program that would let me write this in Hebrew characters): “Ani lo margish tov, Dr. Caspi.” This translates to: “I don’t feel good, Dr. Caspi." No doubt this line will come in handy if I ever go to Jerusalem and get the stomach flu.

2—Like the esteemed Evil HR Lady who tagged us in this Five Things game, I dislike mayonnaise. What is mayonnaise anyway—sandwich glue? I think my turkey can stay on the bread without gluing it there, and I don't need to coat my lettuce and tomato in slime so they can slide down my throat. I don’t put butter on my sandwiches either. I also don’t put milk on my breakfast cereal I eat my Cheerios and Raisin Nut Bran dry and keep the milk in the glass.

3—In my entire life, the longest I’ve ever lived in one location is seven years. What would it be like to still live in the town where you grew up and see people who've known you since you were born? I haven't the foggiest idea.

4—When I was a kid, I was a huge Star Trek fan. I loved the original series and the Next Generation. But I petered out on Deep Space Nine after a while, and Voyager was disappointing, so I petered out on that too. I never even saw an episode of the series with the Quantum Leap guy as the captain. But now that I mention it, I’d like to watch some Next Generation episodes for old times’ sake.

5—I’ve had a jillion Primary callings, but I’ve never had a calling in Young Women’s. Nay, not one. At least not until last Sunday, when I was sustained as Young Women’s president. Talk about jumping in the deep end. So all you experienced YW people out there, feel free to send me suggestions. My daughter’s advice was this: “Don’t talk in your Primary voice.”


13 Comments:

At 1/18/2007 1:40 AM, Blogger Marsha Ward said...

Stephanie,

Your daughter's suggestion on #5 could have killed my keyboard if I had been drinking or eating anything. It made me laugh out loud.

Since I've only had one YW calling that actually involved weekly contact with YW, and that was so many years ago that the program has changed a jillion times since then, I can't advise you. I'm currently the YW President in a branch that doesn't have any YW except for the occasional holiday and summer weekend visitors, so that doesn't count. I can make studying a lesson stretch out to serve for several months! Especially if I don't have any repeaters. LOL!

 
At 1/18/2007 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put your focus on loving the girls and meeting their needs rather than administrating the program. Get to know them all personally - teens needs adults in their lives who show true interest in them. Don't be afraid to delegate, delegate, delegate. Communicate well with parents and avoid last-minute changes in plans. Be prepared to be the target of practical jokes at girls camp, and take it well.

 
At 1/18/2007 12:14 PM, Blogger mean aunt said...

OK, thanks to your daughter I now have the vision of you leading the YW in their theme with a primary voice!

 
At 1/18/2007 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DS9 was the best of the Star Treks, but you have to really invest yourself in it to appreciate it--Next Generation you could watch episodically, but DS9 had an ongoing story that needs to be watched in order, much like Heroes or 24 or any of the other current crop of TV dramas. If you're a trekkie at all, I urge you to give it a chance.

 
At 1/18/2007 3:51 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

I did watch quite DS9 quite regularly for a while, but lost enthusiasm for it. It's been too long for me to remember exactly what I didn't like about it, but it wasn't as fun as the earlier shows. More soap opera in space and less adventure, maybe. Or maybe it was just the Ferengi.

Marsha, that sounds like my kind of calling, LOL!

Anon, thanks for the great advice. And right now I'm feeling really grateful that our girls' camp encourages Good Deeds pranks instead of the other kind . . .

 
At 1/18/2007 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deep Space 9 sucks. Sorry about that fellfrosch. Really bad actors reciting really obvious dialouge that simply got in the way of the poor acting, like right after an enemy spaceship blows up, and everyone on the brdige saw it on the main screen one of the actors says, "Whoa, did you see that?" Of course we saw it and so did every earthling a million miles away. After a few episodes of DP9 I fully expected the actor this line: "Whoa, batman, did you see that?" It was a comic book, not a great space drama, and it didn't have the engaging magnetism of great writing that set the two earlier versions apart. And even though the Next Generation was a huge quantum leap in technologically cool sets and special effects over the original star trek when you go back to the Next Generation after seeing the production quality of the sci. fi. movies of today you may get bored with the same repetitive settings in the Next Generation. They were cool when they first came out, but the enigine room, the catwalk above anywhere on the ship, the bridge, the cafeteria and the computer generated image rooms don't seem to be nearly as amazing as when the series was playing.

All that said, I am not a sci. fi. fan or even a Star Trek or Next Generation fan. I saw a few episodes, enjoyed them and for some reason a lot of the details just stick in the mind. Can't get anything out of there---which is probably why with each passing day my skull increases in diameter and I feel like my head is going to pop. Fact, facts, facts. Oh what a burden....

Scotty, beam me up before I explode!

 
At 1/18/2007 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fhl, your own fractions leave a little to be desired. I've met people I figured were only 3/4 there, but I'm not sure about 1 1/4 people. Is that allowing for the obesity epidemic or people like Sarah who are carrying around future persons?

 
At 1/18/2007 10:19 PM, Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

FHL, for some reason you made me want to quote the movie clue: "one plus two, plus one, plus one..."

 
At 1/19/2007 7:13 PM, Blogger Keith N Fisher said...

Be careful what you wish for. I was in the Elders quorum Presidency forever and I joked about it, and not having a calling in Young mens the next thing I new . . . yeah you guessed it.

You missed alot by not watching the Enterprize series. they did episodes that kept adding to the back story like the first conflict with the klingons and where andorians came from. the beauty was the lack of Borgs. I hated the Borg episodes. but one of my favorite movies was first contact. not because, but in spite of the Borgs.

 
At 1/21/2007 10:22 PM, Blogger Anna Maria Junus said...

Speaking as someone who has been in the church for twenty six years and only got into YW a year and a half ago, I think your daughter gave you the best advice.

My other advice, give in to the fact that while you are in YW you will not have time for anything else.

 
At 1/21/2007 11:39 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Thanks, Anna! Good reality check! I'm already amazed at how much is going on. Very different from Primary.

 
At 1/23/2007 3:31 PM, Blogger Sabrina2u said...

Stephanie,
I have had just about every calling there is. I am grateful.
I have 2 YW in my home and it really helps to have planning meetings with the girls so that they can plan the activities with you so that they can't complain about them.
LOVE THEM AND BE A GOOD EXAMPLE, We as parents need reinforcements and people that we can "point out" that are happy living the gospel.
sorry, just rambling.

 
At 1/23/2007 6:43 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Excellent thoughts, Sabrina2u. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home