Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Can You Guess Who Said That? I Bet You Can't

by Julie Coulter Bellon

When I was changing my bed linens, I realized that we haven't flipped the mattress for a while, so I had the brilliant idea that I would flip it myself. A king size mattress. So, as I have it with one side almost touching the ceiling and I'm standing on the bedsprings trying to flip it over, (it was a lot heavier than it looked) it knocked me down, hard. I think I broke my finger. But, in the spirit of tenacity, I did manage to flip it and I only broke everything on my night stand and knocked my gigantic stack of books off. I've now come to the conclusion that it's not a good idea to try to flip a king size mattress by yourself. If nothing else, you need another person there in case you knock yourself unconscious.

So, because of my injury, I'm not doing so well in the typing department and since other bloggers have done little surveys and quizzes I thought I'd do a challenge for you today. I have several favorite movies that I will watch over and over again. I've listed some of the famous lines from those movies. See how many you can guess. Maybe if someone can guess them all, I'll give them a prize.

1. Help, help, I'm being repressed.

2. Insanity runs in my family---it practically gallops.

3. When he reached the New World, Cortez burned his ships. As a result his crew was well motivated.

4. Why is New Jersey called the Garden State? Cause it's too hard to fit 'Oil and Petro-Chemical Refinery State' on a license plate.

5. Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

6. A bird may love a fish, signore, but where will they live?

7. Did I just hear that the animal turned inside out, then it exploded?

8. If I'm not back in five minutes . . .just wait longer

9. If love was a choice, who would ever choose such exquisite pain?

10. My life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes. That's a sentence I read once and I say it over to comfort myself in these times that try the soul.

11. They say you're the world's only living heart donor.

12. 'Cool?'' Um no it's, SLAMMIN'!

13. To love is to burn, to be on fire!

14. You'll never make Jack-a-Daddies out of them boys.

15. I may not know karate, but I know crazy
You've lost your 'winging it' privileges!
We're not pinatas, we're men

16. You Americans, you're all the same. Always overdressing for the wrong occasions

17. If hate were people, I'd be China!

18. What kind of name is Poon? Comanche Indian

19. Back off, man. I'm a scientist.

20. Privacy is a privilege.

21. Do not insult the freaks.

22. (singing) And while we adore men individually, we agree that as a group they're rather stupid.

23. It was a run by fruiting!

24. Put some Windex on it!

25. Why are you trying so hard to fit in...when you were born to stand out


13 Comments:

At 10/05/2006 11:36 AM, Blogger Marsha Ward said...

That finger has to hurt, Julie!

Sorry, the only one I know is number 5, Princess Bride.

[mumbling] I've got to get out more.

Marsha Ward
Writer in the Pines
word ver=wcisihri (they're getting longer!)

 
At 10/05/2006 11:53 AM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

1 - Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail.

2 - Don't know.

3 - Hunt for Red October.

4 - I'm thinking Miss Congeniality, but not sure.

5 - Princess Bride.

6 - Ever After (and I love "Then I shall have to make you wings."

7 - Galaxy Quest.

8 - Ace Ventura.

9 - No idea.

10 - Don't know.

11 - Sabrina.

12 - Don't know.

13 - Sense and Sensibility.

14 - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

15 - Shanghai Noon

16 - Don't know.

17 - City Slickers.

18 - Don't know.

19 - Ghostbusters.

20 - No idea.

21 - Madagascar (just watched that one with the kids).

22 - Mary Poppins.

23 - Mrs. Doubtfire.

24 - My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

25 - What a Girl Wants.

Yes, I watch too many movies.

 
At 10/05/2006 12:33 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

A few of the ones that Sariah didn't know:

#2: Arsenic and Old Lace
#10: Anne of Green Gables. (How do I know that? I have a wife.)
#18: Fletch (Julie, I like you even more for quoting this one. If such a thing were possible!)

 
At 10/05/2006 1:26 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Ah, a fellow Fletch-lover! Shall I put in on the Underhill account? Definitely a classic.

Sariah, you amaze me. I'm a little surprised you didn't get Anne of Green Gables (and thoroughly flabbergasted that Rob did). I guess you're not an Anne-girl? Does that make Rob an . . .never mind.

Marsha, you need to get out more. :)

 
At 10/05/2006 1:29 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Okay, so no one has gotten #9, #12, #16 and #20. Come on, someone out there has to know those ones!

 
At 10/05/2006 1:55 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

I was curious, so I googled those. But i figured that's not fair, so i haven't posted the answers.

Do you have the Beatles White Album? Never mind. Just bring me a cup of hot fat. And the head of Alfredo Garcia.

 
At 10/05/2006 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big movie fan, but not a big movie rememberer. My kids could probably get every one of them. They're always quoting me lines and the only ones I ever get are:

"I'll be Peace." "And I'll be Quiet."

and

"That's what we do--we swim. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming."

But on your list, I knew #5 and #22.

 
At 10/05/2006 2:15 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Or from Fletch Lives,

Sheriff: "You care to make a statement?"
Fletch: (Sighs) "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

 
At 10/05/2006 2:24 PM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

I've only seen the Anne miniseries once, and read a few of the books. I don't remember the line. If I'd had to make a guess on that quote, I wouldn't have been anywhere near right. :)

 
At 10/05/2006 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"16. You Americans, you're all the same. Always overdressing for the wrong occasions" sounds so familiar. I know I've heard it but can't place where. I'm impressed Sariah and Rob. While several of them sounded familiar I could only place a few.

 
At 10/05/2006 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story reminds me of my 80 year old grandpa. 3 Weeks ago he tried to flip a king mattress. Long story short, Grandma finds Gramps dazed on the floor in a pool of blood. Seems the mattress had flipped grandpa across the room and he hit his head cracking the tile window ledge leaving him with a mild concussion and 20+ stitches. It looked like a crime scene in there! NEVER FLIP A MATTRESS BY YOURSELF!!!

 
At 10/05/2006 4:09 PM, Blogger Marion Jensen said...

# 9 - Anna and the king

# 16 - Raiders of the Lost Ark

Don't know the other two...

 
At 10/07/2006 5:32 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Okay, #12 was from Save the Last Dance and #20 was from Freaky Friday.

Sariah, you win the prize for getting the most correct. Do you have all of my books or could I offer you one as the winner? Your choice.

Thanks for playing everyone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home