Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Marnie Pehrson Guest Blogger

Marnie Pehrson is a wonderful writer of nonfiction titles like "You Can't Fly if You're Still Clutching the Dirt" and "Lord, Are You Sure?" as well as several southern romance novels, her newest being "Hannah's Heart" published by Granite Publishing. Her fresh perspective on romance steeped in southern culture has been captivating readers from all over the country. She is a mother of six children and lives near the historic Chickamauga Battlefield in Georgia.

The Honeybee Principle

by Marnie L. Pehrson
www.MarniePehrson.com



Have you ever asked yourself, "What am I supposed to be doing with my life? Am I on the right track? Am I using my talents the way the Lord wants me to?" I've gone through a bit of soul searching over the last month, asking myself, "Is this it? Surely I'm not on this planet simply to write romance novels. Isn't there something more?" While I enjoy writing romantic fiction, it seems somehow less than earth shattering.



Then as I prepared a seminary lesson, I had an "aha moment." The lesson was from Doctrine & Covenants 12, which was given to Joseph Knight, Sr. Most people don't know much about Joseph Knight. He hasn't gone down in history as a great participant in the restoration, but he was. Joseph Knight, Sr. was a merchant who gave the prophet some items from his store. Most importantly, he gave Joseph Smith money to buy paper to translate. He was a willing servant who in the right time and place assisted to bring forth the cause of Zion.



As I thought back on the people who have entered my life in the exact time, place, and manner I needed, I realized that each was going about their everyday life doing ordinary things. Just as the merchant, Joseph Knight Sr., gave the prophet what he needed to bring forth the Book of Mormon, these individuals provided what I needed in a way that only they could. They probably don't even realize the lasting influence they've had on my life. To them, they were just doing things they enjoy, being themselves, and reaching out in friendly service.



Could it be possible that each of us makes a greater impact than we realize? Are we like honeybees hopping from one flower to the next, gathering nectar and in the process not only creating honey, but also pollinating a world?



Lehi taught his sons that "[we] are that [we] might have joy" (2 Ne. 2:25). Is it possible that as we do the things that bring us joy (with our eye single to the glory of God) that we have our greatest influence? As we perform the ordinary aspects of our work, we encounter people who need what we have to give. As we touch their lives, leaving them better than we found them, we help our brothers and sisters along their path to immortality and eternal life.



Perhaps one day the Savior will show us our lives, and we will see that in our own special way, we've had an eternal impact. Maybe then, as we see the rippling effect of our everyday use of talents, we'll understand that like the honeybee gathering nectar, we've pollinated a world of good.


6 Comments:

At 9/28/2006 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean, like posting this blog which was exactly what I needed to read this morning?

 
At 9/28/2006 10:40 AM, Blogger Keith N Fisher said...

Thank you. Amen to what rakrose said. It is what I needed but not just this morning.

 
At 9/28/2006 11:21 AM, Blogger C.S. BEZAS said...

Yes, thank you very much!

 
At 9/28/2006 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Rakrose & Keith! I'm glad the blog was of use to you & thanks to Julie for posting it! :)

 
At 9/28/2006 4:33 PM, Blogger Marsha Ward said...

We, as a family, had an eye-opening experience several years ago when our daughter died. We asked that the teens at the junior high school she attended be given a chance to write us notes about their relationships with and special memories of our daughter. I thought it would be theraputic for them, and give us more insights into our daughter's life.

What beautiful tributes we received! Our sweet daughter, who had struggled with feeling like an outcast with no friends just the previous two years, had learned an important principle: if you want a friend, be a friend. She had taken the lesson to heart, and had made a difference in the lives of those around her. Typically, the notes insisted that the writer felt like Karen's best friend, because that was how she treated him or her; and mentioned that her smile was always there, beaming joy and gladness to the world. What comfort these notes brought to us!

In my writing life, I received a note from a reader of my first novel, a piece of genre fiction (which is looked down upon in some circles). She said that, because of the contrast I had shown between two female characters, my book made her want to be a better wife, more like the one than the other.

Yes! (arm pump)

We cannot know the width or depth of our influence. I hope when I see the movie of my life, the times when I have somehow brought to pass good things will outnumber the times about which I have regrets.

Marsha Ward
Writer in the Pines

 
At 9/29/2006 9:54 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Marnie, this was so beautiful. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home