Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Case of the Missing Author

By Sariah S. Wilson

I’ve been looking forward to today for a long time - ever since I read Stephenie Meyer’s “Twilight.”

I visited her website after reading the book and saw that she had plans to come to Cincinnati for a book signing. I’ve had my schedule set for months. Saturday, September 23, 2006 was when she would be flying into town.

I logged on today to the independent bookstore she would be signing at to reconfirm the time, and noted that the signing was to take place on FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 22.

That would be last night.

While I was at home. Playing Warcraft (Zul’Gurub doesn’t run itself, you know).

So there will be no pictures of me and Stephenie as I had hoped (especially since I thought that would be a nice bookend to Jeff’s Terry Brooks post). No chance to ask her the questions I had to ask. No chance to gush about how much I loved the sequel, “New Moon” (in stores now!). I am highly bummed. Particularly since I passed up on two other events planned for this evening because I was going to the signing.

I haven’t been to many signings. I’ve been to more this past couple of years as I’ve become involved with the romance market, but before then the only author signing I think I ever went to was…Terry Brooks.

He came to BYU when I was either a sophomore or a junior (possibly a freshman - it’s been a while. Give me a break). I stood in line at the BYU Bookstore to meet him, bringing along two of my first edition books from the “Scions of Shannara” line (first and the fourth). He told me that he liked my name, and I told him that if he ever wanted to use it in a book, he could. So far…he hasn’t.

Terry Brooks is an author I liked more when I was younger than I do now - I haven’t much enjoyed his more recent books (especially the ones involving the computer). But I grew up reading Brooks and read him before I ever even heard of Tolkien. Those books have a special place on my shelf, and I treasure them, especially the autographed ones.

Looks like I had an author bookend post after all.


3 Comments:

At 9/24/2006 11:42 AM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

I'm sorry, Sariah! What a disappointment.

Stephenie lives in Phoenix and probably has something scheduled there in the next couple of months. I could send you a digital picture and you could add yourself in through the miracle of modern computer technology. :-) What do you say?

 
At 9/25/2006 10:09 AM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

You play Warcraft? I like you more and more.

 
At 9/25/2006 12:12 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

My sons are Warcraft masters -- and I've bought them several of the games/books/etc. Does that make me cool, too?

I didn't think so. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home