Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Bon Appetit

by Stephanie Black

Well. How does one follow a blog on Coke and migraines? I think the word “migraine” should be banned. Just saying it is tempting fate. I used to get the headaches-that-must-not-be-named frequently as a teenager, but now, thank heavens, they’re much more rare. But I still get them. I still fear them when I get a flash of bright sunlight in my eyes and see spots. Innocent glare or ominous aura? That aura just adds insult to injury. It’s like a taunting message from your body saying, “Stay tuned! Pretty soon you’re going to want to ram an ice pick into your skull! Have a nice day!” Shudder. I gotta ask for a prescription for Imitrex one of these days.

Okay, enough. I’ll talk about something different. I ate a bug last night. I didn’t mean to eat it, but it flew right into my mouth while I was out for an evening walk. I acked and hacked and blecched, but it wasn’t going anywhere except down. It tasted really weird, too. I feel just like Eric from The Counterfeit who sucks down a bug while riding Maurice, his moped.

My sister’s family once ate bugs on purpose, or at least some of them did. Some of them partook in ignorance. The bugs in question were chocolate-covered crickets that Dad brought home from work. The candy looked tasty enough, something like a fat peppermint patty. The two younger kids wolfed a cricket down, no questions asked. The oldest noticed the label on the box and wanted to know why it said ‘crickets.’ Dad explained, and managed to talk her into eating the candy anyway. She reported that it was kind of crunchy. Dad ate one too. The candy came with stickers that proclaimed something like, “I ate a bug.” My sister elected to pass. Wimp!

Okay, I would have passed too. I wouldn’t even try foie gras when I had the chance.

But speaking of food, don't you love authors who do a superb job describing culinary delights--and who make them both a relevant and fascinating part of the story? Take Farmer Boy in Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Little House series. Oh, the meals! I want apple pie for breakfast too, and sausage, and stacked pancakes where you pile them up with maple sugar between each cake. And there’s Diane Mott Davidson with her Goldy the caterer mysteries. I once made Monster Cinnamon Rolls from Davidson's recipe, and oh my. Step aside Cinnabon. Don't ever read a Goldy mystery if you're trying to lose weight. LDS mystery writer Betsy Brannon Green has started including recipes in her Miss Eugenia mysteries as well.

Man, it must be lunchtime. I'm hungry. About that goal I just made to get in better shape . . .

As a side note that has nothing to do with anything, I had to play the eighties hit "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor over and over again on iTunes to keep my toddler amused so I could finish this blog.


14 Comments:

At 9/13/2006 3:29 PM, Blogger mean aunt said...

mmmm, cinnamon rolls.

 
At 9/13/2006 3:56 PM, Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

Eye of the Tiger? Hmmm. My toddler likes Lynerd Skynerd. Strange.

 
At 9/13/2006 6:41 PM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

I love Farmer Boy! She really went into detail on all that food and it sounded so dang good. Why don't we have food like that anymore? There's no fast food establishment on earth that could compete with what Almanzo's mom used to make.

 
At 9/13/2006 6:42 PM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

Oh, I forgot. Joanne Fluke also writes foody mysteries.

And if you're all very good boys and girls, I'll tell you a secret -- I review books over on families.com and if you go there, click blogs, and then click media reviews, you'll find some reviews about Joanne Fluke.

And now that I'm done blatantly promoting myself, I'll go away now.

 
At 9/13/2006 8:06 PM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

That's really funny. Eye of the Tiger was my little guy's favorite song when he was small. He called it the bum, bum, song, (No comments, Rob.) as in: Bum. Bum, bum, bum. Bum, bum, bum. His second favorite was that Foreigned classic, Juice Box Hero. Which is what he thought it said until he was about six.

 
At 9/13/2006 10:28 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Hey, Tristi, thanks for letting us know about your book reviews on families.com! I'll go check it out.

The funny thing about 80s songs is I'll buy songs from my high school years off iTunes and my teenager's initial reaction is "What IS this?" and then . . . before long . . . she's hooked. Hah! I always feel so smug when that happens. What's next? Big hair?

 
At 9/14/2006 10:38 AM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

I'd like to say that I wasn't in high school in the eighties. That's because you're all WAY older than me. And since I've already got one foot in the grave, you're all wrinkled grandmas. (Yes, even you, Jeff.)

Just sayin'.

 
At 9/14/2006 10:51 AM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

You mean that one year of high school you actually attended before they kicked you out?

Just sayin'.

 
At 9/14/2006 10:53 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

That's okay, Rob. We like you anyway, even if you are a snot-nosed little brat. You'll grow up someday.

 
At 9/14/2006 11:16 AM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Aaah! The old folks are after me! I hope I can outrun the wheelchairs!

 
At 9/14/2006 12:06 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Drop that barrel of Coca Cola you're carrying and maybe you could run faster.

 
At 9/14/2006 12:19 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

You can pry this barrel from my cold, dead fingers! Catch the wave!

 
At 9/14/2006 4:08 PM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

Thanks. Those contests are hard because you really can't judge a story based on the first paragraph.

In answer to your question, they are THE gold plates. Imagine that you found a way to go back in time. You decide to sneak a peek at the gold plates. You think that if you took a picture of the plates, you could come forward in time and prove that Joseph Smith was a real prophet. Only before you can open the bag and look inside, it is stolen from you. If you don't get them back the Book of Mormon will never be translated. Oops!

It's something I've been playing with.

 
At 9/14/2006 5:08 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Intriguing story idea, Jeff!

FHL, no, I'm afraid I never worked at Retrolink. But I hope that whoever it was had great success with her book!

I've never tried escargot. But we do get a lot of snails in our yard and I'm always wondering what to have for dinner . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home