Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Special Features

The trouble with being a multi-talented super-genius is that everything I create is really really awesome. Alas, there's just not enough room in this world for my art, and much of it never sees the light of day.

Until now!

I mentioned several months ago that I'd made a deal with my editor. My end of the bargain included cutting a lot of really great scenes from The Counterfeit. My editor's part of the deal is a little more secret, but let's just say it involves a tattoo parlor, a photo of Jack Weyland, and a lot of regret.

Anyway, the stuff that I cut from the book was good stuff, getting the axe not because of quality issues, but because of space and pacing. The scenes were either exposition or additional characterization (or just funny for the sake of it) -- stuff that's interesting to read, but not critical. So, it's gone.

I was very saddened by this, because, as I've mentioned before, one of the cut scenes was my favorite joke in the book. I couldn't let all this stuff go to waste, could I?

So, with a long weekend, and a convenient reason to procrastinate the writing of Book 4, I formatted all of this deleted material, and tossed it up on the old website.

Think of it like the Special Features on a DVD: I've got chapter-by-chapter commentary on the book, deleted scenes, and even photos. So far I've posted Goodies for the prologue and the first five chapters, and I'll update regularly--probably adding three or four chapters a week.

So, go and read!

Oh, wait. I should mention that, given the nature of the beast, this sucker's full of spoilers. So, you probably oughtn't read it all until you've finished the book. (Hint hint: go buy the book.)

For those of you who haven't read The Counterfeit yet, however, here are a couple deleted scenes that aren't terribly spoileriffic. They both take place in the first three or four chapters, anyway, so they won't spoil much.

Basic premise: Eric and Rebekah are witnesses in a terrorism trial. In the first few chapters of the book, they're taken into the Witness Protection Program. This scene takes place the first morning they arrive at their hidden destination. They're eating breakfast with the FBI agent. This scene takes place later that day, as Rebekah is leaving the salon (after getting her hair cut and dyed to disguise her appearance). Read them in that order, or else they won't make sense.


6 Comments:

At 9/05/2006 12:55 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

I LOVE IT!

Of course, now I won't get anything else done today. I'm sure Melissa will understand if there's no mystery at the dinner. And Angela probably didn't really want that project for committee today...

I hate to say it, Rob (I really do) but you're a genius. Of course, so was Dr. Jekyll...

 
At 9/05/2006 1:43 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

It's all part of my scheme to make you fail, Kerry. If I can't match your quality writing, I'll lull you into an unproductive stupor.

Victory shall be mine!

 
At 9/05/2006 6:56 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Very, very cool idea to post "special features." I can't wait to check out your pearls of deleted prose.

 
At 9/06/2006 9:54 AM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

You know, I gave links to the non-spoiler stuff, but here's the link to the main page:

www.robisonwells.com/generalnotes.php

 
At 9/06/2006 9:55 AM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Let's try that again:

www.robisonwells.com/generalnotes.php

 
At 9/07/2006 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do the rest of us have to suffer for your art?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home