Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Malfunctioning Brain

by Sariah S. Wilson

I started writing up my blog this morning and was writing about the personal issues I have with most Mormon cinema and offering constructive criticism on how the movies could improve, but I kept ending up being too negative and since we're mostly a happy bunch and since I wouldn't want someone doing a blog about how terrible my books are, you'll be happy to know I have refrained.

Unfortunately, that leaves me without a topic for today and a brain that thinks it's still on vacation.

Speaking of which, we had a great time in Disney World. We had a lot of really memorable, very special experiences. In the aquarium in Epcot (Living Seas) they have an interactive exhibit where Crush (the turtle from "Finding Nemo") talks with audience members. It is truly amazing. Crush talked to both of my little boys. Crush asked if anyone had any questions and my 3-year-old raised his hand. Crush asked his name and then asked Kameron what his question was. Kameron said, "Uh, I don't know." Crush asked Kameron if he was related to Dory (which is only funny if you've seen Nemo).

In the Magic Kingdom a few days later, Kaleb (the 6-year-old) got to pull the sword from the stone, thus making him the king with his proclamation and medal. Later that night Kaleb told me the law he wanted to pass was that everyone would have as much fun as he was having.

As I mentioned earlier, it's always been my dream to go to Disney World and the reality was even better than I could have imagined, especially with getting the opportunity to experience it through my sons' eyes.

Which should be the point of movies and books alike - the chance to experience the world through someone else's perspective with characters you can relate to - having the ability to imagine that you're the one in Narnia or Jurassic Park or Hogwarts.

And on a totally unrelated note, I have discovered a new blog thanks to Miss Snark:

www.evileditor.blogspot.com

Read it. Learn it. Use it. Or else just enjoy EE's wit.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home