Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

What you are about to see is a lie, but it's short.

by Robison E. Wells (the E stands for Mystery)

So, I posted a couple links yesterday. I posted the same simultaneously links in about a dozen blogs and forums, and got a mixed response: some people thought it was just about as awesomely amazing an idea as they'd ever seen. For example, two people on LatterDayAuthors said:

"WOW! If I knew how to make an entire site just to say WOW, I would! You deserve it! SUPER!"
and
"Wow, Rob. I'm speechless. This is stellar."
On the other hand, I got this response from someone on The Official Timewaster's Guide:
"Wow, all this build up for that? Lame."

Rather than believe that the third reviewer had any idea what they were talking about, I'm going to assume that they just don't get it. (This is how I deal with criticism: self-delusion.)

So, let me elaborate what's going on with those links.

The first site, Trial Of The Century, is a collaborative blog written by the four main characters of Wake Me When It's Over, my second novel. This blog is essentially a serialized novella, to be updated several times a week for the next two months. All the characters have been cast and photographed -- it's really a whole new type of writing. (Sure, maybe long-term fictional LDS blogs have been done before, but I'm not aware of any -- that makes it revolutionary, in my self-deluding mind at least.)

The second link, The Unknown Patriot, is a conspiracy theory website, where a government-fearing anti-New-World-Order conspiracy buff writes about his wacko ideas. Yesterday, he received an email from a member of a secret organization -- kind of a Deep Throat type character. The short version: every week, starting tomorrow, he's going to post puzzley clues to the website. Solving the puzzle will explain how to get the next piece of evidence. (And the coolest part: this evidence is in the real world -- we're talking a multi-state treasure hunt here.) (And did I mention there are prizes? There are.)

So, it's really very cool stuff. And more importantly, it's something different. At best, it could get a huge following, increase my fan base, and sell a lot of books. At worst, I've still written an entirely new kind of LDS fiction.

However, right now things are looking great. The first clue shows up tomorrow, and it's pretty cool. Go and solve.


7 Comments:

At 5/02/2006 3:50 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm glad you explained the meaning behind the two sites, because I was confused. It is kind of a cool idea.

I'm not sure I get the second one yet, but if there are prizes, I will try really hard to.

 
At 5/03/2006 9:00 AM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

The first clue is up. Check it out.

This one is pretty simple, I think -- it just takes a little time.

 
At 5/03/2006 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so confused. How is that a clue?

 
At 5/03/2006 5:16 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Not only is it a clue, but someone has already solved it. Go to the Unknown Patriot discussion board for hints and discussion.

(And just so you know, there's nothing wrong with sharing info and helping each other...)

 
At 5/04/2006 1:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Don't think that I didn't catch the Square One TV reference in the title of this post...

The names are made up but the problems are real...

 
At 5/05/2006 5:46 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

The first clue has been solved. Check it out.

 
At 5/06/2006 5:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Robison. Enjoyed your article on the moon landing. How about writing something on com trails... I'm probably spelling it wrong, but you know what I mean. Tell us why they're always flying those planes over our houses spraying some kind of stuff. What's up with that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home