Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

by Julie Coulter Bellon

I've just returned from Thanksgiving dinner with all of our extended Bellon family--48 people in all. We had a wonderful dinner, games, and a lot of visiting. But we didn't talk about the upcoming BYU vs. Utah game. Everyone wisely avoided that topic since the family is half Cougar fans and half Ute fans and we wanted to keep the peace today. (But on Saturday, all bets are off!) However, it was suggested for family pictures tomorrow we all dress in our respective Cougar or Ute shirts. Wouldn't that be funny? (Don't worry we're not going to do that.)

At the dinner I was able to talk to one of my nieces and her mother about the books that she's reading and if I had any recommendations. It reminded me of how much I loved books as a young girl and how much I relied on them. My family moved around a lot when I was young and I was often the new girl in school. Books were always the constant in my life and I could always count on them to be there. I'm so grateful for books and the part they've played in my life. I'm grateful for the authors who wrote books like the Nancy Drew series so I could read and live Nancy's life vicariously, the Bobbsey Twins series, the Hardy Boys series, and the list goes on. Books can be an essential part of a young person's life---even an adult life---and I'm privileged to be part of that as both an author and a reader now. I've met so many wonderful people because I'm an author, and I've shared so many wonderful life experiences because I'm a reader. Some of them have even been with people from this blog--both bloggers and commenters and I thank you all for that.

I'm just very thankful for today and for the fun we had with family and the feelings of love that was shared among us while we ate some really great food. I hope you were all able to be with your loved ones today.

I am also thankful for all the comments last week of birthday moments. They made me laugh and they made me cry. You are all wonderful and I really appreciate your participation! Thank you.

I put all the names in a bowl, mixed them up, and my daughter pulled a random winner for my Christmas goodie bag and the winner is------

JANICE!! (whose hair caught on fire while blowing out candles. You poor woman! Did it grow back? Just curious . . .)

So Janice, could you email me your snail mail address at juliecoulterbellon@gmail.com and I will get that goodie bag in the mail as soon as possible so you can kick off your holiday season.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!


2 Comments:

At 11/27/2010 5:22 PM, Blogger Charlie Moore said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Julie, just a few days late. And to you, Stephanie and Jeff, I am thankful first and foremost for Jesus Christ. I am thankful for my wife. And, yes, for all those small things, too.

Charlie

 
At 11/27/2010 6:02 PM, Blogger Janice Sperry said...

It was just a bit on the side that caught fire. It fizzled out before too much damage was done. I had to do some creative hair styling and the smell wasn't great, but I survived.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home