Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Things Great and Small

On Monday’s blog, Jeff remarked that he dislikes doing those lists of things you’re thankful for, one reason being that when you put things like family and health on the same list as double-stuff mint Oreos, you sound a bit whacked. To which I say: it’s a good thing Jeff wasn’t at our Family Home Evening on Monday. Not that we were whacked or anything. We are SO NORMAL. We are so normal that if you look up normal in Wikipedia, it links to our family. Amazing, huh? We are icons of normality.

For our FHE activity, my six-year-old handed out pieces of paper and markers and wanted us to list what we’re thankful for. For her list, my six-year-old wrote kittens/cats, animals, our family members (listing them by name), house, food, church, and America. It was a very nice list. Trumpets, trumpet teachers, the army, Christmas, and water were a few thing that made my younger son’s list. Warm clothes, heating vents, shoes, and lemonade made my teenage son’s list. The new dishwasher (oh joy!) made a couple of lists, including mine. Man alive, I’m grateful for that dishwasher. It actually cleans the glasses instead of baking crud onto them. It’s a marvelous machine, and I am grateful for it. A few other things on my list: my family, my parents and parents-in-law on their missions, the Book of Mormon, the gospel, living in the USA, modern medicine, cars, computers, friends, central heating, and chocolate.

As you can see, we include both the huge things and the smaller things on our lists. Also, the, um, random things.

My husband’s list:

Mom
semi-sane kids
teeth
grandparents
scriptures
prophets
wheels
light
music
krill
cowpokes
sneezes
tree kangaroos
cryogenics

My sixteen-year-old decided to write her gratitude list including only things that begin with the letter F. Why? I don’t know. Her list:

food
federal government
Fed-Ex
family
friends
flushing toilets
faucets with hot and cold water
fridge
fudge
Finland
the funky chicken
Facebook
fava beans
Fellowship of the Ring
Fridays
Frida Kahlo
fiendish plots
fields
festivals
felt-tipped markers
fedoras
Frisbees
Fortitude South and Fortitude North.

Yes, I did have to Google two of the things on her list in order to identify them. Frida Kahlo was a Mexican artist. And Fortitude South and Fortitude North were part of Operation Fortitude, a World War II Allied deception operation involved with the invasion of Normandy (Thank you, Wikipedia). I am definitely grateful for the soldiers who sacrificed so much for our freedom, and those who are still fighting for our freedom. My sister visited Normandy on a work trip with her husband and put together a photographic book about it, with photos she took of Normandy next to World War II photos. I couldn’t make it through the book without crying.

How about you? What are you grateful for, big or small? (and no, you don’t have to choose things beginning with only one letter, though you can if you want).

I am also grateful that Jeff didn’t blog about this topic, so I could. Bless you, Jeff, and I’m grateful for Jeff, all the Frog Bloggers, and everyone who takes the time to read our blogs. I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving! (The plan for Friday morning: pie for breakfast).


7 Comments:

At 11/24/2010 1:37 PM, Blogger ~T~ said...

Hot running water is always near the top of my list!

 
At 11/24/2010 4:00 PM, Blogger Tamara Hart Heiner said...

i love these lists! especially the f one!

 
At 11/25/2010 1:04 AM, Blogger jodi said...

When my kids were teenagers I bought a couple of tubes of English candy and handed out one candy for every thankful comment. I wrote them down and I still love reading them. My daughter mentioned that she was thankful when her brother scraped the ice off her windshield in the morning. I was floored I didn't know he was doing that.

 
At 11/25/2010 3:21 AM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

Note to self: do not play Scattergories with Stephanie's daughter.

I am thankful for the Frog Blog because it lets me come and rub virtual shoulders with some truly awesome people. =)

And...

warm blankets
Wendy's chili
w... little debbie Christmas tree cakes
cats
4 day weekends
Rock Band 3 \m/


(Your husband must have been in a weird mood for some of the items on his list!)

 
At 11/25/2010 6:58 AM, Blogger Suzanne Lucas said...

The one letter thing must be genetic. My darling daughter did her thankful list all with things that started with M.

 
At 11/25/2010 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tree kangaroos and cryogenics? Hilarious! The fedora from your 16-yr-old daughter's list though--yeah. Understand that one. My almost 18-yr-old daughter would definitely add that to her list, too. Must be a teeanage girl thing. :)

As for what I'm grateful for: Among many other things, I'm grateful for your blogs, Stephanie! And your support. :)

 
At 12/02/2010 1:35 PM, Blogger LDS_Publisher said...

Hi Stephanie. You won a prize in the LDS Publisher comment contest. Send me your mailing address.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home