Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Clock is Ticking

I’m desperately behind on the work-in-progress I want to finish this month, so today’s post will be a bloglet.

Does anyone else think it’s completely insane that Thanksgiving is NEXT WEEK? Who pushed the fast-forward button? And once Thanksgiving passes, there are precisely fifteen minutes left until Christmas, so I hope you’re ready. I’m not. Haven’t done a thing about it, but that’s okay. I could live to be a hundred and twenty and I’d never morph into a superhero person who has her Christmas shopping done in July. Not going to happen. Another thing that won’t happen, barring insanity or an emergency: my going to a large crazy retail store on Black Friday. Are you kidding me? My daughter and I tried it a couple of years ago. We walked into Kohl’s, saw the size of the line, and bailed out. If I’m going to stand in a line that long, I expect to ride Space Mountain at the end of it.

With the end of the year approaching, the deadline for 2010 Whitney nominations is—not coincidentally—also approaching. December 31st is the final day to nominate 2010 releases for the Whitneys. If in the past year, you’ve read a new book by an LDS author and thought it was a worthy Whitney contender, don’t forget to go to the Whitney website and nominate it. The nomination process is easy and fast. Once a book receives five reader nominations, it becomes an official nominee and will go to a panel of judges, who will evaluate the books and select five finalists in each category. Finalists will be announced on February 1, 2011.

This year, for the first time, the Whitney committee has published a list of books that have received enough nominations to become official nominees. I was very excited about this because Cold as Ice is on the list. So are our other Frog Blog new releases: Julie’s Dangerous Connections, and overachiever Jeff’s two books—A Time to Die and The Fourth Nephite. So a big giant Frog Blog thank you to everyone who nominated our books! (Only problem with the nominee list: right next to it is a goofy-looking picture of me taken at last year’s Whitney gala. You chose that picture on purpose, didn’t you, Rob?)

I know the Whitney committee appreciates it when nominations come in sooner rather than later, since that gives the judges more time to read the books. If you loved a book and don’t see it on current nominee list, don’t wait—nominate! (Catchy, huh?) And don’t forget the books being released in the last few months of the year. Here’s a handy website where anonymous blogger LDS Publisher keeps a list of new releases by LDS authors. You can check her list to see what’s new, and if you’re not sure if a book you read was released in 2010 (a book must be a 2010 release to qualify for this year’s Whitney Awards), you can check the sidebar listing of Whitney-eligible titles.

Again, a big thank you to everyone who reads and nominates our books. We really appreciate it.

(Hey--this was long enough to be a full-sized blog, right? Do I get full credit for today?)


8 Comments:

At 11/17/2010 11:16 AM, Blogger Michael Knudsen said...

Overcome with emotion, that's what I see in that pic. By this spring, when you pick up your 3rd Whitney, it should be old hat. Just thank the academy and wave to the adoring crowd.

Seriously, though, with The Rogue Shop releasing on Dec. 8th and not appearing in many bookstores until weeks later, my own Whitney campaign will be aggressive and short. I do have 5 second cousins in Indiana who owe me a favor, though.

 
At 11/17/2010 1:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Ha ha, no way is #3 gonna happen, but thanks, Michael. It does look like I'm crying, but I wasn't. I just had a weird look on my face.

The second-cousin plan is actually a good one :) Especially when the book comes out late in the year, you can't be shy about letting readers know about the Whitneys!

 
At 11/17/2010 5:37 PM, Anonymous Emily M. said...

I am so glad there's a list like that this year. Thank you!

 
At 11/17/2010 7:27 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

I'm not convinced that's you in the picture. =S

There, I just nominated a book that's not in the list yet.

 
At 11/17/2010 11:53 PM, Blogger Debra Erfert said...

I see that all the books I nominated are on the list. Yay! And I think your expression is sweet. Don't let that Mike guy mess with your head.

 
At 11/18/2010 9:21 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Emily M., I agree--it was a great addition from the Whitney committee.

Jon, I'm hoping that's a good thing that you don't think it looks like me?

Aww, thanks, Debra.

 
At 11/19/2010 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Stephanie! And CONGRATS on your nominations!! (And to you others on the Frog blog.) Way to go! No surprise to me, though. You guys rock. :)

Thanks for all the info, Stephanie! I have read several great LDS novels this year and will go nominate.

Now go finish your WIP! :)

 
At 11/19/2010 7:58 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Thank you so much, Erin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home