Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Friday, June 18, 2010

Things as They Really are Around Here

Once upon a time . . .

The sad truth is I haven’t written a blog in so long I don’t remember how to start and “once upon a time” is the only sort of beginning that comes to mind.

So . . . once upon a time I showed up at the Frog Blog and said, “Hey, I don’t know much about writing in general, and nothing at all about blogging in particular, but I’ve committed to hang out around here every Friday. Please come talk to me! I’ll probably never contribute much that’s meaningful, but maybe you will.”

You did! (come to talk) and you did! (contribute meaningfully). In fact, many of you have shared your hopes and dreams and plans and frustrations to the extent that I feel I know you better than I do some of my next-door neighbors. (Forgive me, Elder Bednar, I have sinned.*)

That was the beginning of the story. My particular plot twist involved a curse (cancer) and the lack of moral fortitude to do much about it besides retreat to the nearest cave and feel sorry for myself. So, while some of you kept coming week after week, I repeatedly stood you up – and the Frog disappeared entirely. For my part, I’m sorry. (Not to mention embarrassed and maybe even a little mortified.) I saw in Wednesday’s comment trail that it might be too late to ask some of you for another chance, but could I at least beg forgiveness? Please? It would help me sleep better at night. And anybody else who still wanders by from time to time . . . well . . . want to talk? I do! And I’ll show up from now on. (If only with weak excuses or fabulous guests.) I promise.

Kerry

*If I’m going to refer to Elder Bedner up there, I figure I ought to explain down here. This month’s Ensign contains the text of a CES Fireside the apostle gave at BYU-I in May of last year. “Things as They Really Are” addresses—among other deeply significant life lessons—the danger of disconnecting physically (and, by association, spiritually) when spending too much unproductive time online.

He said, “. . . important opportunities are missed for developing and improving interpersonal skills, for laughing and crying together, and for creating a rich and enduring bond of emotional intimacy.” He talks about how important it is to “feel the warmth of a tender hug . . . or to see the sincerity in the eyes of another person as testimony is shared—all of these things experienced as they really are through the instrument of our physical body . . .”

Let me be among the first to add a hearty, heartfelt “Amen!” That said, many of the relationships I have developed through this blog are surely as rich and enduring as the friendships I have with people I lay eyes upon every few days. I don’t believe you always have to look into a person’s eyes to see into their heart. And I don’t think Elder Bednar believes you do either, despite the “sinning” quip. His criteria for meaningful use of technology? 1) Sites that invite the companionship of the Holy Ghost and 2) communication that enlarges one’s capacity “to live, to love, and to serve.”

As Alison Palmer points out in a terrific sidebar article a dozen pages later in the same issue, the Internet can be a life preserver for those of us who have taken up residence in caves. Today I truly feel the need to thank each of you for helping me live and love and feel the Spirit. I hope to take Alison’s advice to heart and begin to better serve in any way I can.

Come back next week to check on my progress, okay? I miss you!


13 Comments:

At 6/18/2010 12:36 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

I've really got to start reading these things before I post them. Where I wrote that people in caves covet "life preservers" I meant "Lifesavers" -- cherry, in particular.

 
At 6/18/2010 1:21 PM, Blogger Melanie Goldmund said...

Sometimes I worry that my participation in blogs (comments or becoming a follower) is the kiss of death for that blog. It seems lately that many blogs that I've been reading have announced that they're giving up entirely, or they've quietly become inactive. I hope that's not the case with this one!

*extends a roll of cherry Lifesavers* Greetings from one cave-dweller to another, Kerry, and I'm so glad to see you back.

 
At 6/18/2010 2:35 PM, Blogger Kelsi Rose said...

I have missed you too! I wait every Friday for a post from you. They are always worth the wait. See you next week!

 
At 6/18/2010 2:37 PM, Blogger Alison Palmer said...

Sweet Kerry, Thank you for mentioning me in your blog. I'm glad to see you out of hiding, I worry about you when you aren't sharing your wonderful tibits of wisdom. :)

Much love and big hugs!

 
At 6/18/2010 4:13 PM, Blogger Debra Erfert said...

Checking in at the Frog Blog is part of my Friday routine, and has been for the past two years. To me, the weekend doesn't kick off right without reading something humorous from you, Kerry. No matter the subject, you always manage to make me smile even if there were tears on my face. But I do have to admit that I've been wondering, over the past few months, if you were trying to gently wean us off of your posts altogether. Between the occasional guest blogger, and the ever increasing absences, the idea wasn’t superfluous. I’m glad I was wrong.

I love electronic communications. Texting, skype, email, cell phones, blogs, comment trails, twitter, Facebook,... they all have a wonderful purpose to keep us close. But like anything else, they need to be used with moderation.

My twenty-two year old son befriended a young lady he met in the MTC on Facebook after he came home from his mission from Asuncion, Paraguay. If it hadn’t been for that particular invention, their fairytale romance wouldn’t have ended this past May in a forever marriage. In my opinion, the good in the modern-day technological communications considerably outweigh the bad.

Kerry, I’m so happy you’re back. I’ve missed you.

 
At 6/18/2010 5:00 PM, Blogger Daron D. Fraley said...

I love the Frog Blog. I have missed you Kerry, but completely understood why you have been away. I understand the busy lives of the other contributors too since I have a difficult time doing anything meaningful with my own blog because of all the things going on in my life.

After referring back to Wednesday's post and reading all the comments, here is my take on things:

1. I suggest to Anon that he/she use something like Google reader to keep tabs on the Frog Blog.

2. Then when the Frog Blog has a post, you won't miss it. And because delivery will be automatic, you won't feel slighted when the FrogBloggers miss a day. Just consider the Frog Blog to be dessert.

There are only a few blogs that I read cover-to-cover. This is one of them. I think you're all pretty awesome. Keep it up.

Well, let me rephrase one thing: JeffScott and Robison aren't pretty. Although I have never seen either one in a dress...

 
At 6/18/2010 5:05 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Daron, I saw Rob in a grass skirt once. You're right, it wasn't pretty. I still have the pic around somewhere . . .

 
At 6/18/2010 5:42 PM, Blogger Daron D. Fraley said...

Julie,

Rob? Grass skirt? I think you just found your next blog post subject. :)

 
At 6/19/2010 9:53 PM, Blogger Karlene said...

Kerry, I love your posts—no matter how long the wait in between. I'm a very patient person. I mean, really. I've waited how many years now for Jeff's next Shanda book. I bought one the minute it hit the stores. If I'll wait on him, I'll certainly wait for you too. :)

(That was not at all a slam against Jeff.)

 
At 6/19/2010 11:57 PM, Blogger Debra Erfert said...

Somebody, anybody, please tell me how to buy Shandra's last book. I'm stuck down here in Yuma Nowwhere, and I've looked on Amazon, my normal source, and I'm stumped. I can't seem to find a link through your blog either. Please... I need closure, Whimper...

 
At 6/20/2010 12:01 AM, Blogger Debra Erfert said...

...nevermind... just a name glitch.

 
At 6/20/2010 2:27 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

Kerry, I'm so happy you're back. (Picture me doing the Snoopy dance.)

I'll trade you all my cherry lifesavers for a couple of tangerine ones (the TRUE best flavor!)

I'm glad you've taken this first step - maybe you'll take a stab at writing again. =)

Jon, writing from Portland

 
At 6/21/2010 9:35 PM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

I'll take my Kerry however I can get her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home