Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

It's Not the End, It's a New Beginning

by Julie Coulter Bellon

Today my daughter is graduating from high school. As her mother, it’s such a sweet moment for me. She has grown and matured into such an amazing woman and I know it’s trite, but I am so proud of her. So many memories are going through my head today—the first moment she was laid in my arms, her first smile, her first tooth, her first Christmas, her first steps, her first day of school, her first tooth fairy experience, her first broken bone, her first date, the list goes on and on.

But one “first” in particular has especially been in my mind’s eye. When she was a Sunbeam, she was asked to give her first talk in Primary. We were so excited and we practiced the talk at home until she had it memorized. (It didn’t take long, she has an amazing memory). The day finally came. I sat on the tiny little chairs in the Primary, waiting for her turn, a little nervous, and hoping she wouldn’t forget anything we’d practiced. When it was time, she walked across the small stage to the little podium and stepped up to the microphone. I stood as well, because I was going to stand beside her and hold the pictures while she talked, but she gripped the microphone and said, “Sit down, Mom, I can do it myself.”

Everyone chuckled as I sat down. She did her talk without any mistakes and as she sat down, she shot me a triumphant look, like she was saying, “told you so.”

So here we are many years later, and I’ll be sitting in the audience again, waiting for her turn, a little nervous for her and hoping she won’t forget anything she’s learned and practiced over the years. She’ll walk across that stage and I bet she will give me that triumphant look and a little smile that says to me, “told you so,” but this time, she won’t have to say, “Sit down, Mom, I can do it myself,” because she’ll have shown everyone that she did do it herself, and she did it well.

Love you, honey. I’m so proud of you. Congratulations!


4 Comments:

At 5/27/2010 11:28 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Loved the Sunbeam story. Congratulations to your daughter! My oldest daughter graduated last year, and it's such a milestone.

 
At 5/27/2010 12:13 PM, Blogger LisaAnn said...

I teared up just reading this. Wonderful post!

I remember my first day of kindergarten for my oldest and how I had to force myself not to cry in front of him. I was shocked at the feelings that overcame me.

I'm sure I'll cry when he graduates--when they all do.

 
At 5/27/2010 1:16 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Ah, now I'm all weepy. My son will graduate next year. I can't believe it!

 
At 5/27/2010 8:13 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

As the student advocate at your daughter's school I am proud of your daughter's accomplishments as well.

And it was a nice graduation ceremony today, wasn't it. I am so amazed at all the good this class of seniors has done for the community and world around them.

Thank you, Julie, for being one of those parents that have raised such stellar children.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home