Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Monday, May 03, 2010

Great News and An Awesome Night

First, let me share some good news of my own. (Not quite as cool as Rob's, but hey whose is?)

Although I haven't talked about it much, there was a chance the last three books of the Farworld series might not get published due to the economy. But thanks to Chris, Lisa, and others at Shadow Mountain, the series is a go again.

I can't tell you how excited I am to know that Farworld will live to see the end of the series. One of the biggest reasons I didn't say anything was because one way or another I was determined to see the series completed. But all along I hoped that Shadow Mountain might bring it back, so I could keep the look of the books the same.

If you are a Farworld fan, please take a second and e-mail Heidi Taylor, Chris's assistant at Shadow Mountain to tell them thanks!!!! htaylor@deseretbook.com

Second, I am long overdue in thanking my friends in Eureka for one of the best nights of my life. Late last year, Eureka Elementary invited me to come to their school for an assembly and book night. They bought books for almost every student between the grades of 3rd through 6th.

The day of the assembly, I had an awesome time talking to the students about reading, writing, and finding their magic. That night I showed up a the school expecting a normal book club and literacy type meeting. What I found blew me away! I showed up to discover the front of the school had been turned in the Westland Woods. Inside I found Master Therapass and Bonesplinter waiting for me. That was amazing enough. But when we got done, the curtains were pulled back to reveal projects ranging from Farworld posters, to Farworld dioramas, to full animations of Marcus and Kyja. Even a Water Keep made completely out of jello and a 12 inch high Burger Barn complete down to the tiniest details. I was literally brought to tears. Here are some pictures.

Eureka Elementary has magically been transformed
into the Westland Woods.


These are the sons of Olden in the Westland Woods.

Here I am with some of my good friends, flanked by
Master Therapass and Bonesplinter (complete with scar!)


Look out Brandon Dorman, these kids make some amazing
book covers.


Screech encases Kyja in ice in the
Cavern of the Unmakers




As if it isn't cool enough to get a map in your book,
here's a 3-D Farworld map!


One of my good friends with her awesome
Farworld diorama.


Marcus and Kyja trapped
by the Unmakers


Lousy picture taking on my part, but
here is another friend with her diorama.
Recognize that blue head?

The staircase in Marcus's school where it all begins.
Complete with his mangled wheelchair at the bottom!

Don't you wish you had a Power Point of your book? :)


This is an actual animation of Screech
being tricked into exploding Kyja's ice chamber. Cool huh?


Water Keep in Jell-O! Who knew?


Some of my younger friends with their great drawings.


A way cool Water Keep poster.


My good friend, Curtis , with his hand-made
Burger Barn.

Is that not the coolest thing ever!!

I swear half the town of Eureka was there. It was amazing. And then Curtis gave me his Burger Barn. It now sits right above me when I write my books.

Thanks, Eureka, you totally rock! And, Curtis, I have something special to send you as soon as I get it.


11 Comments:

At 5/04/2010 12:04 AM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Truly splendiferous news, J. Scott! I'm not quite as rabid as those fans at Eureka (okay, WOW!) but I'm almost there. When my kids ask what I want to eat on Mother's Day, I am SO asking for Burger Barn burgers and Farworld Jell-O!

Thanks for sharing all this. Those Eureka kids -- and their teachers -- are beyond awesome. (As it their favorite author.)

 
At 5/04/2010 12:13 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

What an awesome night, Jeff!

And congrats on SM's decision to continue Farworld! That is fantastic and my son will be so happy.

 
At 5/04/2010 12:40 AM, Blogger Taffy said...

I'm a big baby; I was moved by all the kids and town did for you! What a great tribute to you and your books.
Good to hear your series will continue.

 
At 5/04/2010 12:41 AM, Blogger Valerie Ipson said...

WOW! Your Eureka visit was really the ultimate for an author. That was amazing!

Great to see you at Storymakers even if from afar.

 
At 5/04/2010 9:40 AM, Blogger Michele Holmes said...

I think your trip to Eureka might actually equal Rob's news. You might not have achieved fortune yet, but you've got fame covered pretty good with these amazing fans.

 
At 5/04/2010 7:49 PM, Blogger Debra Erfert said...

Look how many young people you influenced to read. How may other authors can say they've touched a whole school and half the town? Their imaginations leapt out of the pages and into their real lives with the artwork they created, and all because of your story. That had to be the most amazing feeling . . . ever!

 
At 5/06/2010 2:51 AM, Blogger Julie Wright said...

Awesome that they are continuing the series. You know how much my boys love Farworld and it was so good to tell them that airkeep will be coming soon. Awesome awesome awesome. And dang those pictures from that school are awesome as well!

 
At 5/06/2010 11:48 PM, Blogger UTMomof5 said...

Those are way fun. I helped my daughter with her first of probably many more to come, diorama. She had to make a habitat for the Siberian tiger that she made at school to go with the report she had to write. Time-consuming stuff already, only second grade!

 
At 5/07/2010 12:15 AM, Blogger Heather Moore said...

I need to write for cool kids instead of persnickety adults ;)

 
At 5/09/2010 2:16 AM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

How awesome! I bet you're going to remember this forever.

 
At 5/10/2010 8:16 PM, Blogger Don said...

Jeff, that is excellent news about Far World. I picked up Land Keep at Storymakers (and failed to get a signature!) and we're excited to read it.

Way, way cool projects at the book club. That really is a great collection of tributes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home