Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Friday, April 30, 2010

Major News: I May Hyperventilate

If you recall, in September I posted the following on this blog:

I am finally writing a good book. I've spent the last four months not writing good books, but now I am. You may recall that two weeks ago my brother gave me the challenge: if I have a book to sell, he'd pay my way to the World Fantasy Convention at the end of October. Well, I am proud to say that I immediately started a book, outlined the entire plot, discovered that I'd outlined three books, cut it down, started writing it, and discovered it was crap. I did all of that in about four days. Then, one day I had to take my mom to the doctor's office, and while sitting in the waiting room I struck upon a great new idea. Since then (in six writing days) I've churned out 35,000 words, which is about half the length of the book. As you can imagine, I'm quite freaking pleased.


Then, in November I posted the following:

So, it's now pretty much official. I have an agent for my YA sci-fi book. It's Sara Crowe, with Harvey Klinger Agency. I'm all sorts of pleased. She's sold a lot of good stuff lately, and she seems like a really great person as well.


Well, I'm pleased (read: ECSTATIC) to announce the following (which was posted only minutes ago in Publisher's Marketplace:

Robison Wells's debut VARIANT, pitched as a modern-day LORD OF THE FLIES, set at a boarding school where not everything is as it seems and every day is a fight for survival, to Erica Sussman at Harper Children's, in a significant deal, in a three-book deal, by Sara Crowe at Harvey Klinger (world).




Follow me on Twitter!


28 Comments:

At 4/30/2010 3:46 PM, Blogger Marny said...

Congratulations!

That means we can have you and Dan on a panel together at LTU&E, right?

 
At 4/30/2010 3:51 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Congratulations!!!!! I'm so excited for you!

 
At 4/30/2010 3:52 PM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

This is amazing news!

And I looked up what significant deal means, and holy crap, Rob!

 
At 4/30/2010 3:54 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Holy crap, indeed. :)

 
At 4/30/2010 4:07 PM, Blogger Suzanne Lucas said...

That is so awesome. Wow. Awesome. I'm impressed.

 
At 4/30/2010 4:10 PM, Blogger Tamara Hart Heiner said...

no way! that is simply amazing, and you did it all so quickly!

 
At 4/30/2010 4:26 PM, Anonymous Jordan McCollum said...

Holy crap! That's so awesome!!

(Harper Children's—so is it more MG/crossover now? Or did they just beat out HarperTeen?)

 
At 4/30/2010 4:45 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Marny, I'll definitely be on a panel, but it'll just be Dan and I bickering.

Jordan, it's very definitely YA. I'm not sure why it's listed as childrens.

 
At 4/30/2010 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! I always love it when my favorite authors get to work and put out new books. What took you so long? :)

 
At 4/30/2010 5:36 PM, Anonymous Emily M. said...

Congratulations!!! That is wonderful news indeed.

 
At 4/30/2010 5:51 PM, Blogger John Ferguson said...

Congratulations, Rob!!

Let the squee-ing begin!!

 
At 4/30/2010 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the crap does that post at Publisher's Marketplace mean?

You can start with Modern Day Lord of the Flies, then the bording school thing, then Erica Sussman (who the heck is she?) thing, then the significant deal (all the gory details), and then the three-book deal thingy, and then wrap with the end in the beginning: Variant? What's that about.


Details. I want details. You any good at spannin' things?

 
At 4/30/2010 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And another thing:

Is the big news that you're about to hyperventiate or is the big news this Publisher's Marketplace thingy?

Call 991. Regardless.

 
At 4/30/2010 7:05 PM, Blogger Janette Rallison said...

Awesome Rob! I am so happy for you!

 
At 4/30/2010 7:39 PM, Blogger Krista said...

So glad you won't be dying in a gang fight. Go crazy. Get PURPLE sparkly toenails and jump in a box of tassles. WOOT!

 
At 4/30/2010 8:41 PM, Anonymous Jordan McCollum said...

Oh, wait—Erica Sussman? She's Kiersten White's editor. That can only mean good things! (And Kiersten's is HT. Weird.)

 
At 4/30/2010 10:57 PM, Blogger C. Michelle Jefferies said...

Congratulations!!!!! What awesome news!!!!! You are an inspiration!

 
At 5/01/2010 2:34 AM, Blogger Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Congratulations, Rob! This is fantastic!

 
At 5/01/2010 3:14 PM, Blogger Jennie said...

Serves you right!

 
At 5/01/2010 3:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations, Mr. MBA Super Writer.So are you a full time author now, Rob? Or doing the cramming thing?

 
At 5/01/2010 9:03 PM, Blogger To the House and Back blog said...

Oooooh, Rob, this is just excellent. Congratulations! Quitting any kind of ol' "day job" any time soon?

 
At 5/02/2010 1:24 PM, Blogger TheOneTrueSue said...

Wow - that's fantastic. Congratulations!

 
At 5/02/2010 7:46 PM, Blogger Charlie Moore said...

And then he saw it in great neon lights. The great LDS writers of the new century. Sanderson, Dashner, Savage, Lund, and joining them ... Robison Wells. And his smile, mischievous at first and then accepting, spread across his face.

Congrats Brother Wells.

Charlie

 
At 5/04/2010 12:45 AM, Blogger Valerie Ipson said...

Excellent! The best kind of news!!!

 
At 5/06/2010 2:53 AM, Blogger Julie Wright said...

Awesome!!!

 
At 5/06/2010 11:46 PM, Blogger UTMomof5 said...

I am a little confused about what that means too. But it must be good, considering all the congrats you are getting. So congrats from me too, on your good news, whatever it means.

 
At 5/10/2010 4:11 PM, Blogger Don said...

I'm late to the party here, but congratulations again!

 
At 6/08/2010 3:03 AM, Blogger John Brown said...

Holy schnitzel!! Congrats!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home