Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, April 03, 2010

Easter Traditions and the iPad

by Sariah S. Wilson

I'm here, Julie! It's mostly because I'm procrastinating putting together Easter baskets for my kids.

Speaking of which...I wondered about everyone's Easter traditions. Living in Cincinnati, which used to be mainly populated by German Catholics (my kids just recently did a "heritage box" for display at school, and I swear to you 90% of those boxes were German), has led to some interesting cultural situations (such as the typical Cincinnatian saying, "Please?" when they don't understand you/hear you instead of "What?" or "Say again?" or "Excuse me?" which my mother first discovered upon asking for directions, to which she got her "Please?" so my mom said, "Okay, can you please tell me how to get to the freeway from here?"), but one of the best things is we all get Good Friday off here because it's such a big deal celebration/tradition-wise. We have these stairs near a cathedral that people climb and stuff like that.

My family's Easter traditions are probably pretty basic - we dye eggs the night before, have an Easter Bunny visit in the morning and an egg hunt, and then usually go to church (although we'll have more General Conference tomorrow) and have a big family dinner that night (with ham, but I insist on having turkey too because 1) you can never have too much turkey and 2) I don't much care for ham.) We'll have deviled eggs as part of our dinner, which became a tradition probably because my mom wanted to figure out a way to use up as many hard-boiled eggs as she could.

Do you have any unique traditions for Easter? Or do you celebrate the old-fashioned way? (Speaking of which, I want to know if anyone's in an Easter parade. I always thought that'd be the coolest thing to get dressed up in new Easter clothes and be in a parade like Fred Astaire.)

And not that this has anything to do with the other, but I want to know your thoughts on the iPad. I read an article claiming computers as we know them would now change, and so I'm curious - have you bought an iPad? Do you plan on buying one soon? Are you interested in even owning a device like this, or is what you have now good enough for your needs?


10 Comments:

At 4/03/2010 11:59 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

One fun tradition we have is that the kids always get a book in their
Easter basket. One year when #3 was a toddler, I was thrilled when she saw her basket and cried, "Cool! A book!" (That was the great part--not the candy. Yes!)

When my brother moved to Nebraska, he didn't know what Ash Wednesday was. For the first hour or so of work, he kept telling people they had a smudge of something on their foreheads until someone clued him in.

 
At 4/04/2010 10:38 AM, Anonymous Eric said...

Why would I buy an iPad? I already have a Linux netbook that does everything an iPad would do yet cost $200 less. The iPad is a fine device, no doubt about it, but it's way, way overpriced for what it can do.

Oh, and our Easter tradition is nothing special, usually just a matter of hiding Easter eggs in the morning for the kiddies and a turkey and/or ham dinner in the afternoon.

 
At 4/04/2010 6:08 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

We do the egg dyeing Saturday, baskets Sunday morning, hide eggs after church/ Then I make fried chicken, potaoe salad, deviled eggs, broccoli with a strawberry dessert. Then sit down and watch a movie together.

When I was a child we did the same thing, except I always got a new dress and Easter hat. I used to get the kids new clothes, but haven't done that lately because I just can't afford it right now.

 
At 4/05/2010 1:43 PM, Blogger Debra Erfert said...

My husband has an ipod, as do both of my grown sons. While the boys use theirs for music, mostly, Mike has probably every application available on his little device—and uses them. Whenever he’s around a “hot spot” he’ll get his city emails deposited in his mailbox along an audible alert to tell him how electronically loved he is. It’s an amazing gadget than even has a Google Earth app that when he holds the ipod up or at angles, he can change the perspective of the landscape’s view and practically sees into windows of buildings without ever leaving his chair. He has a hundred or so classic books downloaded as well as all the scriptures, and even the song book and church magazines and every current church manual. He doesn’t need a bigger screen. It wouldn’t fit into his shirt pocket.

He also has an application where he gets notified of earthquakes-after they happen-and what magnitude and where the epicenter was. He’s really into emergency preparedness since he works for the city fire department.

And how we spent this past Easter Sunday? Not hunting colorful hard-boiled eggs or eating the ears off the chocolate bunnies, but hiding underneath our sturdy dining room table while the 7.2 magnitude earthquake rocked our little corner of the southwest. The wonderful ham dinner my sister made had to be re-heated for us by the time Mike was finished with press releases and being interviewed by local and national TV stations at the Emergency Operation Center while I sat at home, alone, enduring a dozen more heart-accelerting aftershocks and spin-off earthquakes in southern California and northern Mexico.

I’m really glad today is Monday...

 
At 4/05/2010 7:34 PM, Blogger Keryn said...

Oooh, Debra, what is that earthquake app called? I really REALLY want it. For my iPod touch, to stay on topic. No way I'm buying a first-gen iPad.

Because I've been sick with the creepy croupy cough cold this weekend, Easter was boring. I hid the baskets mid-morning, and sent the kids on a treasure hunt, but other than that we watched conference and tried to keep from infecting each other.

 
At 4/05/2010 10:40 PM, Blogger Paige's Pages said...

When I was growing up, my mom always took us to buy matching easter dresses and she made us hats. Her and my Daddy took tons of pictures on Easter of us in our new clothes. My parents always had our egg hunt on Saturday so we could focus on the Savior and the Ressurection on Sunday. It was a tradition I love and will continue with my own Children. We always had a wonderful dinner and then we watched the Ten Commandments and more recently, The Testaments. This year I am living on the East Coast and being that Easter fell on conference sunday, and it doesnt start till noon over here, Me and a fellow nanny attended services at a Methodist Church. It was a really neat experience, even if the lady behind us does think we are going to heck in a handbasket because we didnt take communion. :) I have to admit, I was slightly distracted when I realized the Clintons were there too, but I was a really nice program! :)

 
At 4/06/2010 6:16 PM, Blogger Monique said...

Hey Keryn Look up USGS in applications. I have it on my phone too. As for the iPad. At first I couldn't see a use for it unless it was more of a lap top. But really it's more for the internet. It's just and iPhone with a bigger screen and I already have an iPhone. I can't see what I would use it for except writing on the fly but they say the touch screen isn't so great for that and if it's anything like the one on the iphone they're right!

 
At 4/06/2010 6:30 PM, Blogger Debra Erfert said...

Keryn, its called QuakeWatch, that's what Mike said. He continued to say, "it's supercool," and then proceeded to list off all the latest 4.0 and 4.3 shakers we had just a few minutes ago. I don't feel those any longer. Weird, huh?

 
At 4/07/2010 12:07 AM, Blogger UTMomof4 said...

We actually do all the secular Easter stuff on Saturday, the day before Easter Sunday. We call it "Easter Basket Day" That way on Easter the kids are hopefully not just thinking about candy and the easter bunny. Plus all the city hunts and things are on that day anyway. We dye the eggs on Friday night. It's a good tradition for us.

 
At 4/07/2010 12:09 AM, Blogger UTMomof4 said...

What is the I-Pad exactly anyway? I don't even have an I-phone, or an I-pod. Don't need them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home