Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, September 03, 2009

It's Title Time!

by Stephanie Black

Technically, it's still Wednesday, at least in my time zone, so according to Frog Blog rules, I still get full credit for blogging on time. After midnight, it's half credit; after that, you become known as "Rob."

I finished the second draft of my work-in-progress. I'm happy about that. I tried to print it out so I can read through it, but the printer jammed after twenty pages. I hope that isn't symbolic of anything bad. My daughter fixed the printer, so tomorrow I'll finish printing it--ten-point type, single-spaced, and blue ink, all the things you'd never do to a manuscript you're actually submitting. I didn't write it that way, but I formatted it that way for printing to save paper and black ink (because we're forever running out of black ink). I'm not doing a line edit, so I don't need extra space, and I didn't want to use 340 sheets of paper to print it out for a quick read-through.

It's a much different experience reading a manuscript straight through in printed form than it is working through it chapter by chapter on the computer screen. I need to see how it reads as a whole. I know it needs work, but that's okay--that's why it's the second draft, not the final draft. Ironically, given that I'm teaching a class on villains in a few weeks, the villain is currently lame-o.

It has no working title. The file is called novel5draft2, which is dull. By the third draft, it's nice to have something to call it. Once again, I'm turning to our kind, delightful, witty, and all-around awesome blog readers to give me some suggestions. Same rules apply as last time--anyone who submits a title suggestion--whether serious or goofy--will get entered into a drawing. I'll draw a name next Wednesday, and the winner picks whichever of my books he or she would like. And if I end up using any of the suggested titles, I'll send a book to the person who suggested it. Here's a little blurb about the book:

Ever since her wayward brother, Derek, created a humiliating scene at a family funeral, Abigail Westcott has struggled to mend the rift between Derek and her parents. Derek seems to be getting his life back on track—until someone near him is murdered, and everything from the motive to the murder weapon points to Derek as the killer. Abigail is the only one who believes in him, and her fight to prove his innocence doesn’t sit well with a ruthless killer willing to do whatever it takes to conceal a fifteen-year-old secret.


Other info . . . hmm. It takes place in upstate New York in November, so it involves cold, snow, ice, that kind of thing. And rocks play a role in the story. Yeah, rocks.

All suggestions are welcome!


23 Comments:

At 9/03/2009 3:02 AM, Blogger Melanie Goldmund said...

Well, if rocks play a part, then one obvious suggestion is Rocky Roads. Or, to keep the alliteration, Ruthless Roads. I won't suggest Ruthless Rocks, but I will take advantage of the names for North by NorthWestcott or Abigail: The Believer.

:D

More serious suggestions include the boring but functional
Proof of Innocence
Guilty Until...
Lethal Secrets
Derailed by Murder

No, I'm not very good at thinking of titles, either.

 
At 9/03/2009 3:05 AM, Blogger Josi said...

Means to an End

Beyond the Grave

Once upon an Oyster--wait, that would be a romance, wouldn't it?

Family Connections

Grave Connections

Turn Around

Fair Play

Once upon a New York Winter

Ties that Bind

Binds that Tie

Good Luck! (that's not a title suggestions, it's a salutation :-)

 
At 9/03/2009 3:12 AM, Anonymous Jordan McCollum said...

Hm .. .

Rock of Ages (15 year old secret, eh? eh?)

Rock the Boat (Mmm, 70s pop music!)

The Prodigal

Thicker than Water (that's totally never, ever been used)

One Funeral and a Murder(er)

Time Wounds All Heels

Until Proven Innocent (again, totally never, ever used)

All's Well That Doesn't End in Murder

It's All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses Their (His/Her) Life

Secrets, Secrets Hurt Someone

The Rocky Road Back (Delicious!)

Unreasonable Doubt

Abigail without a Cause

^13 reasons I should go to bed before 1 AM

(word verification: uncryon. Would that be a marker, or a really big suitcase?)

 
At 9/03/2009 4:00 AM, Blogger Kelsi Rose said...

Rock of the Empire (After the state nickname)
Blind Liberty (combination of gods on the state Flag and Seal)
Secret Freedom (The 15 yr old secret that would cost the personm his freedom)
Deadly Diamonds
Overkill in the Catskills
Promitory Compression (Synonyms of rocks and changing)

MOst of them are me being goofy and playing with New York Iinformation or just with words in general.

 
At 9/03/2009 5:04 AM, Blogger Mary Campbell said...

Rocked by the Past
Condemned by the Past
In His Defense

 
At 9/03/2009 6:40 AM, Blogger Suzanne Lucas said...

Holy cow, the other people on here are super title generators.

Family Ties (but only if you add an Alex Keaton scene...)
Secrets Upstate
Upstate Secrets (neither will fly with the Mormon group because they'll think Logan when you say upstate)

These are lousy, but I don't want to pay international shipping on your book, so I hope I win.

 
At 9/03/2009 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Severed Seams-Their lives are coming apart by the seams! Best I got, sorry.

 
At 9/03/2009 9:32 AM, Blogger Melanie Goldmund said...

How Abigail helped Wayward Bro Get His Groove Back

A-TEAM versus the Ruthless Killer (Abigail - The Endearingly Angelic Menace)

Turning now to written works ...

And I Will Repay

Swinging the Sword of Justice

Dare Seize the Fire This is from the poem "The Tiger" by William Blake.

What Dread Hand Same Poem.

 
At 9/03/2009 9:37 AM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Stephanie Black, you think you're SO funny. I have feelings! My heart is not made of stone! Mostly!

 
At 9/03/2009 10:17 AM, Blogger Karlene said...

My/Her Brother's Keeper

Brother for Sale

Oh, Brother!

Brother, What Didst Thou Do?

Moldy Secrets

Old Secrets Die Hard; Brothers Die Harder

Silence of the Secret

What Lies Beneath the Rocks

 
At 9/03/2009 11:01 AM, Blogger Don said...

Unturned Stones

Or something along those lines

 
At 9/03/2009 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stone Heart

 
At 9/03/2009 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and I'm very upset with you Miss Black! You said you would post a sample chapter of your latest release on your website a week ago. I've checked everyday. Still not sample chapter. What's up with that?

 
At 9/03/2009 12:00 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

I'm loving these titles! Y'all are awesome.

Rob has FEELINGS??? Hmm, that's awkward.

Anon, you are so right, and I apologize for not getting that chapter up there like I said I would. I'm trying to get it posted right now, but am having problems--I'll keep at it.

 
At 9/03/2009 1:41 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

The excerpt is up--www.stephanieblack.net. Sorry I didn't get it posted sooner!

 
At 9/03/2009 2:36 PM, Blogger Melanie Jacobson said...

Stone Cold

But not Cold Stone because that would be silly.

 
At 9/03/2009 3:23 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

(no need to enter me in the drawing, but I had to participate!)

First thing I thought of:

Black Rocks! - would almost make an awesome praise line for the back of the book!

Man, I can't think of a serious title. Everything is either a pun or 50's Noir (Covenant seems pretty good and coming up with these - take a look at Clair Poulson books)

Dredging for Secrets

Past, Over

Brother's Keeper

 
At 9/03/2009 3:26 PM, Blogger Charlie Moore said...

I have a quick suggestion for anon. Just get out there and buy the book because once you've read the sample chapter you'll be forced to anyway.

Now Stephanie, a suggestion or two:

A Son of Perdition: Full Circle
The Broken Branch: Family Tree

or

Believe in the Method of Fooling the Family: Shockwave

Charlie

 
At 9/04/2009 12:33 PM, Blogger Chantele Sedgwick said...

Shattered Glass
Saving Derek Westcott
Proving Innocence
Faultless
15 Years and Counting
Twisted Hearts

I'm not really good with titles, but I thought I would try.:) I'm excited to read your book, and would love to do an interview with you on my book blog!:)
Chantele

 
At 9/04/2009 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

“Winter’s Solace”
“Broken Trust”
"Deadly Silence"
“Deadly Secrets”
“Dark Secrets”
“Into the Night”
“Cold Hearts”
“Rocky Relationships” (only kidding)

Playing these name games could go on forever, but I have a WIP that I’d like to get back to. (Did you hear that J.S.S.?)

Love Methods of Madness, Stephanie. Keep up the exhausting work.

Deb

 
At 9/04/2009 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Under a Rock

best I've got for today but I liked the last William Blake suggestion.

 
At 9/05/2009 9:08 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Scaling the Rock Wall
Walls of Granite
Caught in the Rift
Buried Innocence
Ice Storm
Derailed Intentions
Etched in Stone

 
At 9/08/2009 10:55 PM, Blogger CKHB said...

Weathering the Rift? (Both words are also geological terms.)

Here's a glossary of geological terms to check out for more inspiration...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home