Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Friday, August 28, 2009

Alvor: Rolling Along


Guest Blog

by Laura Bingham

If you rolled your hopes and dreams up into one big ball and then pushed it down a snowy mountain to see if it would grow into a huge snowball then you would understand what it’s like to write- at least for me.

I’m not your average author. I didn’t major in journalism in college or spend half my teen years wishing I would grow up to be a writer someday. The closest I got to the professional side of books was being the student aid in the library when I was in eighth grade. The books were fine, but I was allergic to the perfume the librarian wore so most of the hour was spent sneezing.

I never wanted to grow up to be a writer. I tested out of English at Boise State University so I wouldn’t have to waste my time with one more class. In college I only ever read text books. It wasn’t until I finally graduated that I had time to read the fun stuff. Harry Potter came out and gave me something to do when things slowed down. Then, like an avalanche, more and more books came out and I found myself loving the escape that they could provide.

Then it happened. One night I heard myself say, “I’ve always wanted to write a book.” Even as the words escaped me, I questioned what I could be saying. It was late.

My husband asked, “What do you need in order to write one?”

I said, “I would need to know what the whole thing would be about.”

Five minutes later he was sound asleep and that’s when the story dumped into my head. I could see the characters, the plot, the arc of the story- I could see the story in my head.

The thoughts stayed with me and I found myself researching the elements of the story on the internet until I had a solid foundation to build upon. Then there was nothing else I could do but write.

Six months later, I finished writing Alvor. I spent four more months editing and revising. In that time, I sent my manuscript out to a couple of small presses, and on the second try I was offered a contract.

Alvor is only the beginning of my writing journey. In the last year and a half I have come to realize that I have a passion for writing and a dream for a career. There is so much more I want to do and so many more stories waiting to be written.
So welcome, everyone, to the snowball I sent down the hill a year ago. Maybe you can help me grow it into something wonderful.


Visit Laura's blogsite HERE and her website HERE!


6 Comments:

At 8/28/2009 12:14 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Thanks so much for the guest blog, Laura -- it's terrific. I've ordered your book and can't wait to read it! GORGEOUS cover!

 
At 8/28/2009 2:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Laura, wow, what an amazing story! You decide to write, and a year and a half later you've got a book on the shelves! That's awesome!

 
At 8/28/2009 5:00 PM, Blogger Heather Moore said...

Very interesting, Laura. Congrats on your book!

 
At 8/28/2009 5:21 PM, Blogger Laura said...

For better or for worse, now you all know my path to writing. It was fun to share it.

I'm glad there are so many examples to follow when it comes to other authors- so thanks for letting me into your world.

 
At 8/28/2009 8:43 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Your writing is wonderful. Now just hurry and get the next book on the shelves. :) We are anxious.

 
At 8/28/2009 9:58 PM, Blogger Dave said...

For those of you who have not read Alvor, you need to. It is a wonderful book that kept me glued to the pages (until it was time to turn to the next). Laura's imagination in creating Alvor made it one of the best books I have ever read. If you are interested, my family's blog site was lucky enough to host an interview with Laura and fortunate enough that she provided us with a signed copy of Alvor to give away as a contest (which ends soon!) If you would like to check it out, visit our site: www.thelateinergangbookreviewspot.blogspot.com
I hope that as the years go on, Laura can provide us with many more journeys into her magical creations!
Dave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home