Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Conquering Your Everest

by Sariah S. Wilson

So, I just wrote this whole post that by the time I was done I realized I had no point and it just sounded like I was whining. It did help me to figure out that something I've been worried about writing-wise I shouldn't be worried about. Because I imagined what the responses would be and it helped me to have an internal conversation with myself. And then realizing that the question had been asked and answered, there didn't seem to be a point in putting up my ramblings which probably would have made no sense to anyone but me.

(For those who are intently curious, it had to do with my fear about working on books for a national market given my current life situations.)

After spending the last hour writing that thing up, and using what little creativity I might actually have had left today, I am spent.

Being tired is a recurring theme in my life right now - I wonder if the day will ever come again where I will get enough sleep. Some people fantasize about winning the lottery, others about fabulous vacations - my daydreams revolve around feeling rested.

Anyway, I was over at a blog recently where the poster talked about conquering her own Everest - accomplishing a task that seemed too overwhelming and too impossible (in her case, cleaning a shed).

She invited readers to tell about their own Everest - the one I shared there was my weight, but I have to say that right now my writing feels a bit like an Everest. Too much mountain to climb, too big to overcome. Too much to do, not even knowing where to start my path.

It made me wonder what our readers would say their Everest is - what impossible task do you have that you keep putting off even though you know you should do it?


5 Comments:

At 8/22/2009 10:27 PM, Blogger Tamara Hart Heiner said...

Mine has to do with cleaning too. I've been putting off a deep cleaning of the house--the kind where you move couches and empty cupboards and clear out closets. But things have vanished. Among them are my 3-year-olds shoes, my pillow, and the baby's prescription diaper rash medicine.

I gave my pillow and the shoes three days to show up. Now the cream vanished. I hate to admit it, but next week I'm going to deep clean. Everest, here I come.

 
At 8/22/2009 11:09 PM, Blogger Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Writing, weight AND cleaning are my Everests.

 
At 8/23/2009 1:09 AM, Blogger Melanie Goldmund said...

For me, losing weight is like trying to ride the down escalator up to the top of Mount Everest. You've got to keep working and working, or before you know it, you'll slide right down again, past the foot of the mountain and into the depths of the ocean! Too often, I find myself jumping off that escalator and not even trying to get up it anymore.

Writing is much easier. Even though I take little breaks, I can always come back to the same place where I left off -- the story doesn't unravel itself in the meantime. I know that if I keep at it, I will eventually reach the summit and have a finished, beautiful product.

If only I could have the same experience with weight loss!

 
At 8/23/2009 9:37 AM, Blogger Karlene said...

In the middle of my own cleaning Everest--the entire house, as I move into the Empty Nest phase of life.

Don't know if I'll survive it, but determined to die trying!

 
At 8/23/2009 9:57 PM, Blogger Janice Sperry said...

I was going to tackle Everest (the basement) this summer. Then I got pneumonia. Then my husband got pneumonia. I was almost well enough to think about Everest again and I got pneumonia again. (and yes, my husband got it again too.) There are people who die on Everest - I would be one of those people. So, since I don't want to be a little frozen corpse left on the side of a giant mountain. I'm going to tackle smaller mountains instead - much smaller. My goal is to clean the entry of the basement so I can enter without stepping on anything. Then I plan to take a nap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home