Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Happy Easter!



It's nearly 11:00 at night here and I've just managed to finish up celebrating my birthday today and finishing up the Easter stuff (Easter is pretty sparse this year gift/candy-wise - I was just not up for shopping at all). And I had to do all of it one handed (while holding a fussy baby in the other hand).

So I'm weighing sleeping versus blogging, and I hate to tell you, but the prospect of sleep is winning. The baby has finally started sleeping in four hour blocks at night, but still, four hour blocks. Still not really letting me get the necessary sleep I apparently desperately need (at least according to the big black bags under my eyes). (And the toddler has decided that 5:00 is better than 6:00 for getting up in the morning. If I leave her in bed she screams the entire time, and so I can either get her up and have her happy or leave her sobbing in her room. Either way I'm not sleeping, so at least by getting her up one of us can be happy.)

Anyway...I was thinking our Easter stuff is pretty typical. We color eggs, hide the eggs, have baskets and the Easter Bunny hiding eggs with an Easter egg hunt, go to church and then later on we have Easter dinner (ham). My mom was never really into Easter the way she was into Christmas, so we don't have many family traditions associated with this holiday.

I was trying to think of ways to incorporate traditions in our family to make the holiday more spiritual and meaningful, so I thought I would ask our blog readers to post in the comments any traditions they practice or have heard of that might help us to be better about incorporating Christ into our Easter celebrations.


2 Comments:

At 4/12/2009 6:37 PM, Blogger Marcia Mickelson said...

My mom wasn't into Easter either. In fact, I don't remember her every giving me an Easter basket or anything. She's just not into traditions; so I've had to make up my own too.

One thing we do for Easter is this activity where you hide 12 eggs. Each egg has a different scripture with an item in it that goes with the scripture. The last one is empty-symbolic of the empty tomb. I found it online somewhere. If you're interested, I can send you a link.

 
At 4/13/2009 3:01 PM, Blogger Carol said...

I found that my children have a hard time distinguishing the true meaning of Easter from the Easter bunny/eggs/candy, so we've moved our Easter egg hunt, Easter cookie decorating, fun Easter games stuff to Saturday. Sunday is a day when we celebrate the life, resurrection, and atonment of our Savior, when we join with family and friends for Easter dinner and when we watch a Church video about the life of the Savior. We share our thoughts about Him and sometimes even bare our testimonies. Easter Sabbath has been a deeply spiritual traditions for our family, and the Saturday before a fun party for the kids and adults alike.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home