Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

I'm Surrounded By Crazy People

by Stephanie Black

At Family Home Evening, one of the first items on our agenda is "business," where we review upcoming events for the week so we know who is doing what and when. This week, the electronic calendar my husband read off his phone had been mysteriously altered to include such items as “buy chocolate,” “thresh wheat,” “face painting,” and “coup d’etat, North Korea.” It wasn’t hard to peg which child was the culprit.

I love having teenagers around. They do bring me to tears occasionally, but they're tears of laughter. You never know when a little humor will crop up here in Nutville. Even the Isaiah portion of 2 Nephi evoked giggles once. Our family scripture reading takes place at the extremely unpleasant hour of six in the morning, so you’re a lot more likely to hear mumbling than giggling. But 2 Nephi 13:6 struck my fifteen-year-old as funny—“When a man shall take hold of his brother of the house of his father, and shall say: Thou hast clothing, be thou our ruler, and let not this ruin come under thy hand”. We were laughing about it again later—as my seventeen-year old interpreted it, “You have clothes, you be king. I can’t be king. I’m naked! That would be so inappropriate on the posters.”)

I find my teenagers' Facebook status updates entertaining. Here are some recent ones, wherein one or the other of my daughters:

. . . came home, and the first thing her sister said was, "That guy called and said you could borrow his chainsaw."

. . . is related to a mythical Norse god named Odin. Seriously.

. . . thinks that taking her younger brother down is a lot like wrestling with spaghetti.

. . . left her harp in Sam Clam's Disco.

. . . is tiny and upside down .-.

. . . had an urge to use 'ferment' and 'foment' in the same sentence. So she did.

. . . has an entire album stuck in her head at once... apparently her subconscious is a DJ remixer.

. . . has this terrible little sinking feeling. Not as terrible of a sinking feeling as finding out your HazMat suit has a hole in it, but pretty close.

. . . is not a big fan of "cheez".

Needless to say, I’m going to miss my kids when they go to college.

In other news, when I went to post my blog this morning, I noticed that this is the 1000th post on the Frog Blog. Woohoo! Party at Rob's house!


8 Comments:

At 4/01/2009 2:21 PM, Anonymous mean aunt said...

Your kids crack me up. It must be the humor passed down from Odin.

 
At 4/01/2009 3:11 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

There is a strong body of evidence pointing to insanity being hereditary.

I'm just saying.

Lots of scriptures make me laugh. My favorite is when Paul preaches so darn long he puts a kid to sleep. Said boy falls out the window, forcing Paul to pause in sermonizing long enough to raise the kid from the dead. Wonder if that ever happened to Brigham Young...

 
At 4/01/2009 3:52 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

They say insanity is hereditary - that you get it from your kids. =)

I bet you didn't post last week just so you could post the 1000th today!

 
At 4/01/2009 3:58 PM, Blogger LexiconLuvr said...

The HazMat is my favorite. What witty, clever kids!

 
At 4/01/2009 4:31 PM, Blogger pwells said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4/02/2009 2:12 AM, Blogger Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Steph, you have some smart kids. I love intelligent humor! That's awesome. :-D

 
At 4/02/2009 12:13 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Jon, not only did I have to skip posting last week, but I had to bribe Rob and Jeff to hold off on posting so I could have the honor of writing the 1000th post. Trust me, it wasn't easy. Well, maybe it was :)

Yeah, I'm kind of nuts too; it's true. Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it never lasts.

Thanks, everyone!

 
At 4/02/2009 2:29 PM, Blogger Heather Justesen said...

Well, the good news is that the Facebook posts will continue even after they go to college...

Very funny! And what's life without a little (or a lot) of insanity, anyway?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home