Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Can't...Type...Must...Read...

by Sariah S. Wilson

Sorry y'all, but I simply can't blog today. I found out that Terry Brooks's new book in his Genesis of Shannara series has been released. I argued with myself - I should have gotten on the waiting list at the library. Funds are a little tight right now, and I knew that I should be smart and wait. But I so thoroughly enjoyed the first one (which I have not done since the Scions of Shannara, his last two series being major crapfests) that I just couldn't wait. I had to go to Barnes & Noble and pick one up.

And then I had to buy the first book in the series, so that I can have the full series. I mean, you can't just have one book in a series, right? It will get lonely.

So, since I've been waiting for this for a year, and now that Her Royal Highness is in bed, I am going to read. And read and read and read. And tell myself tomorrow at 6:00 a.m. that yes, I do have to get up with the baby and at 8:00 a.m. that yes, I do have to go upstairs and get ready for church. It is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

On the new baby front, things seem to be going well still. I have my next appointment in two days.

I do have to report that I did puke last week. It was only once, and I suspect that it was mostly due to eating half a bag of Fritos. (Which is not an exaggeration, but was totally unexpected. I was just going to have a few and then half the bag was gone and then I felt like I was going to throw up.) I worried about Her Highness, because she is a very sensitive little girl who has nightmares about thunder (she wakes up from them crying and saying, "Der! Der! Der!" (her word for thunder). It's so sad. And when we have thunder, her little heart races and I have to hold her, with her face nestled into my neck for as long as the thunder lasts. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's predicted T-storms) and she is deathly afraid of the vacuum (which is, of course, the perfect excuse not to vacuum. I can't upset the baby! This is still not working as a viable excuse with my husband. I'll let you know if he ever caves).

I worried that since I had to throw up in the kitchen sink (as opposed to the kitchen floor or the kitchen counter, because that was as far as I had made it) that she would get freaked out by the sounds I was making.

She toddled over with her bottle, holding it with one hand. She stood right next to me, holding on to my pant leg with her free hand.

She looked up at me as I retched into the sink...and started to laugh.

And laughed and laughed.

And would laugh even harder whenever I had to spit out that leftover junk that gets stuck in your mouth. She found it highly entertaining.

But anyway, back to the book, I'll let everyone know what I thought of it next week. I can hardly wait to get started!


2 Comments:

At 9/13/2008 10:36 PM, Blogger Stephen said...

The Shannara have made a lot of people throw-up. Glad your daughter dealt with it well.

 
At 9/14/2008 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard of this series, but on looking up the synopsis - it sounds like something that would cause me rampant paranoia, and I get precious little sleep as it is.
I'll wait for your review.

Isn't it interesting how our children find our misery amusing? ...No more chips for you, Missy!

Pat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home