Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, September 04, 2008

A Slice of Heaven

by Julie Coulter Bellon

Thank you to everyone who sent me congratulations on the birth of my new baby daughter. The last week has been filled with a few adjustments in my life. Having a baby changes me every time. Not only physically, when I wonder if my body will ever be the same, but emotionally and spiritually. It fills me with wonder and awe to look down at the little human being that I shared a body with for nine months. She is perfect---down to tiny little toenails on her tiny little toes. Her personality already shines through and I can’t help but think what a beautiful gift from heaven a baby is. She has brought such a spirit of love into our home, it makes me grateful for every moment we have just to gaze at this amazing little person with such a big presence.

Having a new baby also means that I am up at odd hours of the night to feed and change her. She is such a good baby, she already has a great sleeping pattern, but the other night I was sitting there in my rocking chair, just gazing down at her sweet little face while she slept in my arms, and a scene from the book I was trying to revise a few weeks ago came to me. Not in pieces, mind you, but the entire revised scene that actually fixed all the problems I’d been trying to fix for some time. It was such a strange thing, to be sitting there in the muted darkness, enjoying my sweet baby daughter, and to have that scene just pop into my head. I hadn’t been at the computer much at all since she was born, but I must say, I did take advantage of that bit of writing goodness and took the time to write down what I’d thought. I wonder sometimes if it happens to other people like that, because, for me, it seems when I am most attuned spiritually, the writing just comes easier.

So, that’s what I’ve been doing for the last while---resting, enjoying my baby, and having scene solvers come into my head at strange hours. What more could a mother/writer ask for?


9 Comments:

At 9/04/2008 4:03 PM, Blogger Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Oh the sweetness of it. And how strangely wonderful it must be to be given two gifts at once like that.

 
At 9/04/2008 4:32 PM, Blogger Erin said...

congratulations julie! I am so excited for you, and can't wait to meet your little bundle of joy.

 
At 9/04/2008 5:19 PM, Blogger Liana Brooks said...

I always say, "When you're hitting your head on a brick wall you're going the wrong direction." Even in writing.

Sometimes things aren't working. You're trying to force them to go in the wrong direction. And sometimes the best cure is to sit back and look at something new until you figure out the right direction.

Congrats on the new baby (and the new idea). I'm never quite as euphoric about children as you seem to be. After nine months of constant togetherness I'm ready to hand baby to Dad and take a few minutes for myself.

But I do love my girls. I love watching them play and explore and just grow up to be wonderful, sparkling, individuals.

Have fun. Good luck. Try to steal a few minutes to write!

 
At 9/04/2008 11:22 PM, Blogger Karlene said...

So, if I'm stuck in my novel, maybe I should have a baby so I can get inspiration in the middle of the night? Hmmmm....

 
At 9/05/2008 12:02 AM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Oh, Karlene! Please tell me there's another way! :)

 
At 9/05/2008 2:11 PM, Blogger Worldbuilder Robin said...

I sometimes find myself coming up with ideas during Sacrament meeting. At those times, I'm torn between frantically writing them down and shoving them out of my head and actually paying attention to the speaker...

And this is one of the few places I can say that and have it make sense.

 
At 9/05/2008 8:20 PM, Blogger Marsha Ward said...

Worldbuilder, I was in Sacrament meeting in a different town in a different state when I just had to scribble notes on a scene as fast as I could, because the feeling was that this was a gift, and if I didn't get it down, it would go to someone else.

 
At 9/05/2008 8:22 PM, Blogger Marsha Ward said...

Very sweet post, Julie. It's so amazing how things happen for us--writers, mothers, just folks. Heavenly Father blesses His children far beyond our knowledge.

 
At 9/06/2008 12:10 PM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

Congratulations, Julie. I am so thrilled for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home