Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

On the road again...

Sorry to make an entirely new post about this, rather than just a comment. I'm that way.

So, the verdict was: the car is broken beyond all repair. I had a long conversation with the mechanic the gist of which was: there's something wrong with it, way down inside it, but you're not going to want to pay for it.

I sat down with the salesman and discussed options. He offered to run my credit, and I told him that I had neither income nor good scores. He said he'd try it anyway, and I told him that when he came back he'd be laughing. Fortunately, there's something to be said for paying your bills, and my credit was fine.

I now own an orange car which I have lovingly named Monty. (Lest you hear "orange" and think "ugly" rest assured that it's actually quite nice. It's kind of a burnt sienna kind of color.) It's the lowest model on the totem pole, with no extras whatsoever, but it's better than walking.

So, around 2:30 yesterday I loaded it up with all my stuff, said goodbye to my old car (who was named Sussudio), and left Billings. I pulled into Provo at about 12:30am.

And I didn't drive over the cursed Beartooth Pass. Maybe I'll try that again someday--when I'm rich.

(P.S. Thanks to everyone who offered to help. And Amy, I'm sorry that I disparaged Billings. Rest assured that my anger was directed at Sussudio, not the city. All that I actually saw of Billings was the hotel, the dealership, and the convenience store where I purchased a Lunchable.)


6 Comments:

At 8/20/2008 12:59 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

What is it Robs and orange? My husband (a Rob) was looking at buying luggage recently and wants an orange set. I just don't understand it, but at least we'll be able to spot the bags. With sunglasses.

Glad you're home.

 
At 8/20/2008 1:49 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Rob:
glad that you made it home. No problem about the Billings comments...it actually took me 5 years before I stopped calling my husband everyday at work and begged him to move us out of here! (I actually needed a break from here & just returned late last night from a 2 month vacation to NY!!) But, anytime you are in the area again, please stop in and say "HI." And, if you happen to break down again, we will try and help anyway we can!

Amy

(PS: we, my daughter and I, met you at booksellers a couple of years ago...you were so thoughtful and carried our HEAVY bags down all the stairs at The Mayan Restaurant...that makes up for the Billings comments!!)

 
At 8/20/2008 3:11 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

I think someone needs a case of Coke! (Medicinal purposes only.)

 
At 8/20/2008 9:47 PM, Blogger christina pettit said...

The poor wayfaring man of grief has returned!
Glad you're home!

Christina

 
At 8/20/2008 11:47 PM, Blogger Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

A fellow Phil Collins fan?

Glad to hear it worked out in the end. We're in the process of car shopping. I plan to name it Bob.

 
At 8/22/2008 5:43 PM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

Glad you're back, Rob! I was worried about you -- even told my husband you were stranded when he got home from work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home