Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, August 09, 2008

The Problem With Appendicitis

by Sariah S. Wilson

I'm blogging to say that I won't be blogging about what I intended to blog about today.

I did go to the LDS Booksellers Convention (my initial plan for blogging), and I have lots to discuss (although I had the mysterious missing camera phenomenon again. For some reason, when I pack my camera, I can't ever find it in my suitcase until I get home again. I do not understand why this happens, but alas and alack, I have no pictures to show from the convention).

I thought that top among my list would be that I got home late Thursday night and my husband had to turn around on Friday and go to Utah himself (to help bless his nephew and to participate in some family stuff).

Instead, my husband spent yesterday and today in the hospital.

He awoke early Friday morning with stomach pains. This isn't too unusual - it has happened to him in the past and doctors have never detected anything out of the ordinary.

But somehow, he knew this time was different. I was a little surprised to see him dressed (he likes to "go to work" (he works at home) in his pajamas), and he told me he was headed to the hospital. We both hoped it would be nothing serious. We considered whether he should go to our family physician first, but based on my experiences with the gall bladder mess, he decided to just head straight to the hospital (with hopes that if nothing was wrong he could still make his afternoon flight).

He called me throughout the day to give me updates on what was happening to him. Finally at about 1:00 he called to say that after a CAT scan they had diagnosed him with appendicitis. He was scheduled for immediate emergency surgery.

My mom came home from work to watch the children for me and I spent hours in the surgery waiting room hoping to hear something. At 7:00 the doctor met with me briefly to tell me that the surgery had gone very well, and my husband was fine and headed to recovery. The doctor gave me pictures of the appendectomy. (I'm trying to figure out what the pictures are for. It's not like it was an ultrasound of a baby or something. It was color pics of gross body parts. I could have lived without seeing my husband's inflamed appendix and his lower intestines.)

I waited for his recovery to end so that I could accompany him to his room. The nurses and volunteers on staff in the waiting room left, saying the phone would ring eventually for me.

It never did.

So finally, after two hours of waiting, I called the nurses in PACU. They came to get me to bring me to my husband.

Up to this point, I hadn't really stressed too much. I felt like my husband would be fine. I knew despite this awful thing happening, that the Lord was watching out for him and everything would be okay.

But when I saw him lying in that bed, so weakened he could barely move, his lips white and face pale, I just lost it. I started to cry. Suddenly it was real. Suddenly the full implication of what had happened, what could have happened, overwhelmed me. I just wanted to hold his hand, to kiss him, to stroke his hair and reassure myself that he was there and he would be all right.

We were eventually given a room (in the hospital's new tower which has the nicest hospital rooms I've ever seen. It was seriously like being in a hotel or something). My dad and my brother came to give him a blessing. I stayed with him until he was ready to sleep, and then got up this morning to go back and sit by his bedside until he was discharged.

It was a scary experience. So sudden, random and totally unexpected.

Everything is fine now. He's feeling much better and at the moment is on the couch watching Star Trek: Next Generation episodes from the DVR.

And on the plus side, now we have matching laproscopic scars.


4 Comments:

At 8/10/2008 12:44 AM, Blogger Marcia Mickelson said...

That is scary. I'm glad everything is okay now. Hope he gets better soon. I like the matching scars thing.

 
At 8/10/2008 4:15 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Sariah, goodness . . . what a weekend! I'm so glad this story has a happy ending. I look forward to hearing about Booksellers, but I'm glad you told us this instead, so we can keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

PS - Thanks for NOT posting the picture of the appendix. Rob would have, I know.

 
At 8/11/2008 11:53 AM, Blogger Jennie said...

Sorry you had to go through that and I hope he's feeling well again soon. It's too bad he had to miss important family events.

 
At 8/11/2008 2:57 PM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

Hey, now you are truly becoming one, with those scars . . .

My sister and her husband have matching scars on their foreheads from the backfire of rifles out on the shooting range. :)

Glad he's okay, and glad he listened to those promptings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home