Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Release of Breaking Dawn & Other Freaky Stories

by Julie Coulter Bellon

One of the most interesting sales associates that I met at my booksignings was named Amanda. We were discussing the Twilight series and our opinions of it, when she told me the most amazing story. So, with her permission, I’d like to share it with you.

Amanda had decided to re-read the Twilight series in anticipation of Breaking Dawn’s release on Aug. 2nd. (That’s just two days away!) She finished Twilight and was innocently reading New Moon in her family’s living room, when, out of the corner of her eye, she saw something dark fly by and land on the floor. Looking closer, she was shocked to see a small bat on her living room floor.

You can imagine her surprise to be reading about vampires and then to suddenly have a bat appear out of nowhere. Could it be? Her father jumped up and said, “That’s what you get for reading those vampire stories!” and then the family spent quite a bit of time getting the bat from the living room, into the kitchen, then into the garage, where they could open the garage door and have it fly away.

My question was: Did Amanda watch wistfully as the bat flew away? Could it have been a sign of some sort that she was reading about vampires at the same time a bat mysteriously appeared in her house? We’ll never know. But I thought it was a cool story, especially with the release of Breaking Dawn so close.

As most people are aware, there is a frenzy of activities going on in conjunction with the release of Breaking Dawn. And, yes, I will admit that I have my copy pre-ordered and plan to pick it up first thing Saturday. No midnight party for me! I am very interested to see how Ms. Meyer will wrap up the series because, in my opinion, she sort of wrote herself into a corner with Eclipse . Hopefully the resolution is satisfying and has a little something for everyone.

I was a latecomer to the Twilight series. I didn’t start reading them until Eclipse was released because I didn’t think I’d like the books. I’m not a vampire fan, I don’t really read a lot of books set in high school, so I figured they wouldn’t be something I’d enjoy. But here I am, looking for and reading the snippets from chapter one and the one spoiler about Breaking Dawn that Ms. Meyers gave to Entertainment Weekly, and listening to some woman claim to be a librarian that read the end of Breaking Dawn already and neener neener-ing to everyone else that she couldn’t say anything more about it. (People like that are annoying). I really don’t know what it is about this series, but it drew me in. It almost seems as if everyone has heard of it and everyone has an opinion about it. Of course, I have my own opinions on certain parts and themes, but the books themselves intrigue me---as well as how this whole phenomenon came about.

I just hope that while I’m reading any book from the Twilight series, I don’t ever find a bat in my house. That’s just too creepy. Maybe they only visit special people. Like Amanda, who will probably never forget her brush with the “bat.”

You may recall that we did have a close encounter here in the frog bog with a vampire. Edward Cullen graciously agreed to an exclusive interview with our very own Robison Wells. If you would like to read it, here is the link

http://sixldswriters.blogspot.com/2008/05/enough-for-forever-interview-with.html


It is still one of the best interviews I think Mr. Wells has done..

Happy reading.


14 Comments:

At 7/31/2008 3:14 PM, Blogger Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I heartily agree. That was fabulous on more than one level.

 
At 7/31/2008 3:26 PM, Blogger Marcia Mickelson said...

That's a funny bat story. I've got my copy preordered too. And, I like you, didn't start reading until after Eclipse came out, just to see what all the fuss is about. It's is also very intriguing to me.

 
At 7/31/2008 4:27 PM, Blogger Worldbuilder Robin said...

I was shocked to learn last week that neither my mother nor my mother-in-law had any idea what the Twilight series was, much less that there's a whole bunch of hoopla going on about Breaking Dawn coming out. Then again, my daughter has just managed to make it through the first three books recently as well, and she doesn't gush over books all that much (just voraciously reads, then re-reads her favorites over and over...).

 
At 7/31/2008 4:29 PM, Blogger CMalone said...

I also have a funny story related to reading the "New Moon" book. I was reading at work when the door alarm went off but no one walked through the door. Through my mind flashed images of vampires.

Then a blood curdling thump rattled the front display windows as something hit them hard and then hit them again. For a moment I thought bat. But alas, it was only a small black bird, trapped and bewildered. Picking up spa skimmers (I work for a hot tub store), I carefully captured the bird between the two skimmers and carried the bird to the safety of the outdoors.

Too close for comfort. I returned to my reading.

I too came to the Twilight party just recently. Thank goodness I don't have to wait longer for the final installment.

I'll be in line Saturday morning.

 
At 7/31/2008 5:05 PM, Blogger Pat said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7/31/2008 7:30 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

I guess I'm going to have to finally take the plunge and start reading the series. It's become a cultural phenomenon, and everyone's talking about it. I feel left out.

(But first, I have to read Julie's book and my brother-in-law's book.)
=)

 
At 7/31/2008 8:34 PM, Blogger Liana Brooks said...

I love bats!

I haven't read the Twilight series though. I've heard wonderful things about it. I've heard everyone loves it. But I haven't seen it in stores or been compelled to buy it online yet.

 
At 7/31/2008 9:06 PM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

I won't be waiting in line. I was so disappointed in the third, that I'm not buying the fourth. I'll get it from the library, and if I love it, then I'll buy it.

 
At 7/31/2008 9:13 PM, Blogger Tamra Norton said...

I think one of the reasons the more "mature" woman can enjoy these stories is that Edward really isn't 17. He's like 99 or something, right? Personally, in my mind he looks like George Clooney. What were the casting directors thinking when they gave Cedric Diggory the role?!!! :)

Can't wait to pick up my copy Firday night!

 
At 7/31/2008 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's like 99 or something, right?

Stalking a 17-year-old girl.

 
At 8/01/2008 12:50 AM, Blogger Tamra Norton said...

Then I suppose it's a very good thing he looks like Cedric Diggory and NOT George Clooney...at least on film. :)

Enjoy the book, y'all!

 
At 8/01/2008 12:42 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

I like that you call me Mr. Wells. It's about time I got some respect.

 
At 8/01/2008 1:19 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Robison, you know I have nothing but the deepest respect and esteem for you.

CMalone that's a creepy story too. I wonder how many of those types of things have happened to people!

Jon, have you started my book yet?

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll be interested to see what those of us who read it thought of Breaking Dawn. :)

 
At 8/04/2008 12:25 AM, Blogger Karlene said...

We had a big Breaking Dawn party at my house Friday night and went to B&N. That was a mad house. I don't usually do those kind of things but my sister made me.

I finished BD today. That woman has one huge imagination. Overall, I liked it. (Yes, Julie, even though it's a romance--but there's all the blood and guts and stuff that makes the romance almost bearable.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home