Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Yes We Can

by Robison Wells

So, I don't know if you've heard, but there's an election on. I know this blog has a few readers from outside the United States who might not be following the campaign, and I know we have a few Americans who read the blog who are too lazy too care. So, as a public service, let me sum up the campaign thus far: two people are running for president. For more detail, check wikipedia or something.

Anyway, I've been thinking about Barack Obama a lot lately. And no, it's not because of roguish good looks and mesmerizing charm, nor is it because he's the spawn of Satan. (I mean, seriously. Would Satan's spawn be so darned good looking?) No, the reason that I've been thinking about Obama is because his slogan is "Yes, we can", which just so happens to be the second half of Bob the Builder's theme song. (Bob the Builder/Can we fix it?/Bob the Builder/Yes we can!)

It got me thinking: what other beloved children's songs would make good political slogans? So, I had Bertrand, my unpaid intern, do some research for me, and he discovered that it's really easy to convert animated theme songs into political mantras. The reason for this is likely because kids songs are all about happiness and energy, and about how we're all best buddies. So, for example, I wouldn't be surprised to see McCain respond to Obama's Bob the Builder with a little WonderPets (When We Work Together We've Got the Right Stuff!) or Franny's Feet (We'll Have a New Adventure, You and I).

The best slogans, however, come from Jakers (a PBS show about some Scottish sheep, I think):



As a matter of fact, I'd probably would regret it if I didn't add another one from Jakers:



And, while we're at it, here's another for Obama (from Caillou):



And McCain (Spongebob):

And, of course, Mitt Romney, who isn't really a candidate anymore, but he's still totally tubular:



11 Comments:

At 7/23/2008 9:25 AM, Blogger Allison Hill said...

They were all really funny, but the McCain one made me laugh so hard I almost dropped the computer.

 
At 7/23/2008 10:08 AM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

I'm almost hyperventilating with laughter over here.

(It must be a grand old time in your brain . . . or a little scary.)

 
At 7/23/2008 10:25 AM, Blogger Pat said...

I love it!

 
At 7/23/2008 12:52 PM, Blogger Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I'm both Canadian and too lazy to care (I'm a fab multi-tasker like that), but I'm having a lot of fun over here giggling my head off.

 
At 7/23/2008 1:36 PM, Blogger Marion Jensen said...

Rob, Rob, Rob...How many times have I told you. Every time you make fun of Ron Paul, a kitten dies.

Kitten murderer.

 
At 7/23/2008 2:24 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Matthew, two things:

First, if you noticed, I made fun of everybody. I wasn't singling Ron Paul out. However, I see why you're touchy about me making fun of Ron Paul (see 1 Nephi 16:2).

Second, killing kittens is just an extra bonus for making fun of Ron Paul--it makes the mockery that much sweeter.

 
At 7/23/2008 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob... I think you need to get out more. Also, pay your poor intern, he has to work for you. :P But I guess that would make him an employee and that just doesn't sound as cool as having an intern...

Nice blog all the same. It just made me realize how handsome Obama is!

 
At 7/23/2008 8:50 PM, Blogger pwells said...

I've been looking for a way to decide on a candidate. You just made it that much harder!

 
At 7/24/2008 1:10 AM, Blogger leesaloo2 said...

You know, if you were McCain's campaign manager, he might be getting a bit more press. I love your work!!!

 
At 7/24/2008 6:21 PM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

Personally, I see Mitt as more of a blue mask, Leonardo-type turtle.

 
At 7/26/2008 12:26 AM, Blogger Nancy Campbell Allen said...

I am laughing out loud, and I rarely do that by myself.

Good, good stuff, Rob.

Nancy Campbell Allen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home